iPhone 3G buyers may be able to complete activation at home

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is his best option. Eat the activation fee and pay a restocking fee (if applicable).

Good grief, people. You say potato - I say Po-ta-to.

Someone asked a question in this forum and I answered them based on my own experience.

Now I am second and third-guessed from people who have not done what I did?

July 11th and thereafter should be very interesting indeed.

Just one more example of why I don't post here very much. Everyone talks about what can or can't be done, but fews souls actually DO anything.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Someone asked a question in this forum and I answered them based on my own experience.

Just one more example of why I don't post here very much. Everyone talks about what can or can't be done, but fews souls actually DO anything.

I sold my iPhone last week for $485 on eBay. I don't really need a phone that much but thought it might be nice to have a spare just in case so I looked into what you did. I declined doing it because I would have to pay a $175 cancelation fee as I will not be upgrade eligible when the 3G iPhone hits. To say that I can't talk about it because I only researched it and chose not to make a financial mistake is asinine.

As for your potato/po-ta-to comment, how exactly does that have relevance here? This isn't about a slight variation of something, it's about you telling a poster that "it is absolutely true" that he is eligible for the 3G iPhone upgrade price of $199 come July 11th when he just got a free handset from that same carrier recently. I posted information to the contrary. If you have information that states that AT&T doesn't mind giving away handsets please post it.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I sold my iPhone last week for $485 on eBay. I don't really need a phone that much but thought it might be nice to have a spare just in case so I looked into what you did. I declined doing it because I would have to pay a $175 cancelation fee as I will not be upgrade eligible when the 3G iPhone hits. To say that I can't talk about it because I only researched it and chose not to make a financial mistake is asinine.

As for your potato/po-ta-to comment, how exactly does that have relevance here? This isn't about a slight variation of something, it's about you telling a poster that "it is absolutely true" that he is eligible for the 3G iPhone upgrade price of $199 come July 11th when he just got a free handset from that same carrier recently. I posted information to the contrary. If you have information that states that AT&T doesn't mind giving away handsets please post it.

1) I never said that you (or anyone else here) couldn't talk about anything. I said that talking is all most people here do - very little of "this is what I did and why it works." Perhaps you took offense due to your 4,200+ posts?

2) Now please go back and read rmm221's post. He is thinking of switching to AT&T at either a AT&T company store or third-party affiliate (neither he, you, or I for that matter made the distinction and it is definitely a considerable distinction), getting the new phone for "free" based on a two-year contract. Then he is going over to the Apple store on July 11 and buying an iPhone for $199. It is assumed here that he/she would then modify/upgrade their existing plan to the new Apple/AT&T plan and start using the iPhone. This is exactly what I intend to do and MY AT&T contact says I will have no issues. If it makes you feel better, perhaps I should have edited my original post to say "Yes, it's absolutely true for me."

3) Since you didn't provide the details on whether you went to an AT&T store in person or called their toll-free line, my first thought is that you probably just called them. I did that too, right after I saw your post. 30 minutes later the AT&T guy was so confused he just hung up on me, without ever providing me with a firm answer one way or the other. Since you are $485 richer at this point, why don't you try the same thing and see if it works?

4) This just in! AT&T giving away handsets for FREE! They don't mind all! Well of course they mind, silly. That doesn't mean that they have actually thought of all the angles and covered all of their bases. Their are just too many variable for that, hence the very confused AT&T customer service rep I called. The game is moving way too fast for traditional business models and all cell service companies are finding it harder to compete.

5) I can still use the the potato/po-ta-to analogy all I want. My mom gave me permission.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

...getting the new phone for "free" based on a two-year contract. Then he is going over to the Apple store on July 11 and buying an iPhone for $199. It is assumed here that he/she would then modify/upgrade their existing plan to the new Apple/AT&T plan and start using the iPhone. This is exactly what I intend to do and MY AT&T contact says I will have no issues.

I'd love to read the part of your contract that states you are okay to upgrade to any new subsidized cell phone right out of the gate. If you could type the paragraph or take a snapshot of it or copy the text from AT&T's website, I'd really appreciate it.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

The problem I have is that your experience isn't complete yet. It will be complete when you actually try to upgrade your account to the iPhone account. The retail lackey said that you'd be eligible to upgrade to the iPhone for the same $199 as anyone else. The problem is that I don't trust salespeople, and I think for good reason. On a regular basis, I've seen and heard them say things that aren't true just to be able to close the deal. The world of mobile phones and carriers is complex and convoluted to the point that you really have to know for yourself, and double check your understanding of the contracts and policies.