Psystar taunts Apple with Xserve clone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

Pystar has some connection to apple. Somebody posted a while back that they think Pystar is just a subsidiary of Apple designed to test the market, well, I agree with you.

There has been no credible evidence that Psystar has an Apple connection. There was simply some speculation that might be the reason that Apple had not yet sued them.
  • Reply 22 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wonder if this means that Psystar is making money?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

Pystar has some connection to apple. Somebody posted a while back that they think Pystar is just a subsidiary of Apple designed to test the market, well, I agree with you.

The only connection Psystat has with Apple is the fact that they are break Apple's EULA and making Apple's attorney's earn their retainer gathering evidence on the company.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Oops, you got me. Should have looked at the bottom of that page.

I didn't even see the date. I was remarking on the really old looking and simplistic HTML coding.
  • Reply 23 of 97
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of server hardware reliability and stability? Who exactly isn't going to buy a server with hacked firmware and drivers?

don't be short sighted. if it's well done, cracked and recompiled software can be more stable than the original piece, not to mention being less resource hog if they eliminate the continuous copy protection check.
  • Reply 24 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDRC View Post

will Leopard even support a floppy drive?

Yes. I have a USB floppy drive that is recognized by Leopard. When I stick a disk in it, the drive icon shows up on the Desktop as a 3.5" disk.
  • Reply 25 of 97
    squozensquozen Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

don't be short sighted. if it's well done, cracked and recompiled software can be more stable than the original piece, not to mention being less resource hog if they eliminate the continuous copy protection check.

There is no continuous copy protection check on OS X.

I have to believe you don't actually admin servers supporting hundreds or thousands of users. If I was to suggest purchasing a machine like this, I would be cleaning up my desk.
  • Reply 26 of 97
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    Enterprise class server systems need support! I can't picture Psystar being able to handle such a complex task. If the buyers get no help from Psystar, do they really think Apple is going to help them?

Apple could simply put in a small change somewhere in Leopard and bingo the Psystar clones are dead after the next update. The osx86 people wouldn't be happy about that though.
  • Reply 27 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

Enterprise class server systems need support! I can't picture Psystar being able to handle such a complex task. If the buyers get no help from Psystar, do they really think Apple is going to help them?

But Psystar offers stellar enterprise-class suport. From their "About"page:

Quote:

Psystar Corporation believes that your business should run seamlessly and so should your IT. It doesn't work to shape your business around your information systems. We can shape your systems around your business. With over 30 years of combined experience in Enterprise-level systems, Psystar can provide secure information solutions to everyone–from the independent small-business owner to the global market providers. We can work with your systems and personnel to streamline your workflow and increase productivity and effectiveness.

Since the two principals are all of 24 and 22 years old, I wonder where the rest of that 30 years of combined experience comes from.
  • Reply 28 of 97
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of server hardware reliability and stability? Who exactly isn't going to buy a server with hacked firmware and drivers?

I think you may have spotted a vital flaw in this plan.

Also ? whilst we can laugh and joke now I will actually be pretty annoyed if Psystar is the company that forces Apple's hand in locking down their OS with DRM, activation and the like.

On a separate note am I alone in thinking the Xserve is one of the prettiest pieces of hardware that has come out of Cupertino?
  • Reply 29 of 97
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    the floppy drive tells everything about this offering... LOL...
  • Reply 30 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Also ? whilst we can laugh and joke now I will actually be pretty annoyed if Psystar is the company that forces Apple's hand in locking down their OS with DRM, activation and the like.

I don't see Apple locking down their OS with DRM or activation. I do think they will likely use their purchase of PA Semi to include custom chips in their hardware which will make the OS run like crap in the absence of these chips. Of course, they would have to introduce these measures over time so as not to punish existing Mac owners.
  • Reply 31 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I don't see Apple locking down their OS with DRM or activation. I do think they will likely use their purchase of PA Semi to include custom chips in their hardware which will make the OS run like crap in the absence of these chips. Of course, they would have to introduce these measures over time so as not to punish existing Mac owners.

I think Snow Leopard would be a good starting point for HW authentication chips. This gives Apple 1 year to get the chips ready. It would mean that Snow Leopard will not be offered as an upgrade option for any current Mac user.
  • Reply 32 of 97
    This is a ploy by crooked lawyers who want to make money. There is no rule of law in Florida, this can not be handled by the courts. Look what happened to Mr. Boulis when he trusted in the rule of law. Florida is the land of death. If you try to sue the crooks they will burn down your home.
  • Reply 33 of 97
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think Snow Leopard would be a good starting point for HW authentication chips. This gives Apple 1 year to get the chips ready. It would mean that Snow Leopard will not be offered as an upgrade option for any current Mac user.

Those kind of chips (to stop clones from running OS-X) are unlikely to ever be included.

Apple does have a long history of optimising performance with secondary chips however. what I would expect to see is more and more of that kind of thing which will make a "real" Mac perform better than equivalent generic hardware.

These guys' computers are crap, the only time anyone is interested in them is when the performance to dollar ratio is better than what Apple offers. All Apple has to do is make sure that a real mac runs significantly better with the same hardware cost. Not t hard to do, and with PASemi onboard, increasingly easy.
  • Reply 34 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Not to hard to do, and with PASemi onboard, increasingly easy.

Speaking of, I think the story that P.A. Semi will be designing iPod/iPhone chips is a ruse; I expect to their first efforts be used in the desktop line.
  • Reply 35 of 97
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

no way. that would kill emulation/booting of 3rd party OS's, say, Microsoft and Linux...
  • Reply 36 of 97
    Quote:

I am not sure Apple would want to risk alienating so many current users; look how angry some are with the rumors that Snow Leopard will be Intel-only.

I think if they could use custom silicon and software (maybe in some of the Core frameworks) to enhance performance on Apple products then they do not need to rely on hardware authentication - more a carrot rather than a stick. This would not punish existing owners but would add even greater benefit to buying a new machine.

Without access to these chips, would-be cloners would be attempting to sell a really sub-standard experience.
  • Reply 37 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

no way. that would kill emulation/booting of 3rd party OS's, say, Microsoft and Linux...

Not sure why you think that - these custom chips can just be some form of hardware acceleration that a future version of the OS is looking to take advantage of.
  • Reply 38 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

if that wasn't bad enough, THESE GUYS still sell 8" floppies.

C

Single sided single density

WOW

retro bliss
  • Reply 39 of 97
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I have my doubts about this making it as a product. Apple was able to stop the instant hack AppleTV USB drive stick. If was only software that one could install on any USB flash drive, then there would be no way for Apple to stop it, but with a physical product they seem to be able and willing to prevent it from coming to market.

That group probably just complied with a C&D rather than continue and risk legal action.

Did Psystar get a C&D or not?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Those kind of chips (to stop clones from running OS-X) are unlikely to ever be included.

I thought it was built into Intel chips, as well as chips by other chip makers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Boo! Psycrap is the biggest crappiest company in the history. They kept saying Apple will violate antitrust laws but take note that they are violating the hackers code by offering the hackers code in their machine without loyalty fees. They dont even ask permission from these hackers.

What I hope is Psycrap get huge sums of money and got sued and lost most of their money for breaking the freeware license agreement.

The OSX86 community developers is against this. Boo!

Are the OSX86 coders any more legally "in the right" than Psystar?
  • Reply 40 of 97
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    because of new custom chips from PA Semi....

Quote:

Snow Leopard will not be offered as an upgrade option for any current Mac user.

No way that's happening. A, Inc (interesting that those initials have "AI" as an acronym. Accident?) makes too much on OS upgrades, and it's partially the ricketyness showing up in Leopard that's got them on this path.

so no way they're cutting their entire installed base out of the upgrade path. PPC users, maybe, probably (I read that was announced somewhere?), but Tiger and Leopard Intel users, no way.