what is your favorite browser in OsX??

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Mozilla, by far.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Agreed. Now with Silk installed it looks great too. Chimera has a lot of promise but it's still teething. I use the SkyPilot theme with Mozilla. It doesn't look at all like Aqua but it has an offbeat, funky quality that just appeals to me.

I also really like tabbed browsing and the popup window suppression. And it's just so-o-o much faster than IE.

iCab is nice too but Mozilla is now my primary browser.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    jdradenjdraden Posts: 89member
    [quote]Originally posted by spaceman_spiff:

<strong>Now with Silk installed it looks great too. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Doesn't the Mozilla update posted recently take advantage of the carbon smoothing capabilities of 10.1.5 without silk?
  • Reply 43 of 67
    rashumonrashumon Posts: 453member
    Chimera would be my No.1 most definitely ! such a young piece of code and already so accomplished .. I keep downloading every new build with great pleasure every time .. only thing I'm still missing is full hebrew support like in mozilla

Mozilla would be No.2 - excellent compatibility but the UI sucks, itÕs very slow and feels like debug code .. not real app .

IE 5, hate it ! itÕs slow, buggy ( did you notice how slow it gets when you are downloading files ?) sure its compatible with all that MS proprietary ASP and Java script stuff .. but who cares ? I try to avoid it .... its really slow compared with Chimera !

OmniWeb is also good but a tad slow and the UI has some seriously annoying quirks .

Rule Chimera !
  • Reply 44 of 67
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Mozilla 1.1a is the best browser I've seen in a long, long time. Vers 1.0 was mediocre, but they've made big upgrades in this one. The first time you launch is still slow, but after that it takes about the same amount of time as any other app.

Rendering is fast. I've only seen iCab go this fast, but Mozilla seems to render more accurately and supports JavaScript. I love tabbed browsing. It supports 'subscriptions' in its own way. You can either use the normal download method or a Download Manager now (thought it's not as robust as IE's). Themes are nifty, but I'm sticking with Modern for the moment.

My biggest complaint is the size. I don't need the email client (and I need to figure out how to make it stop defaulting to that, instead of using Mail!), the composer client or the IRC client.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    I'm using Mozilla 1.0 right now, but 99% of the time I use Galeon, which is like a finished Chimera for linux. It uses 'native' GTK widgets instead of Mozilla's crufty custom GUIs, is very well threaded, has supported tabbed browsing longer than other browser I know of, and has excellent support for 2nd/3rd mouse buttons (linux likes 3 button mice). Mouse button 2 open links in new tabs, and if you have folders of URLs on your custom toolbar, you just middle-click on the folder to open all its URLs in tabs at once. You can also customize your toolbar w/ drag and drop, and change the look of buttons and spinners.

BTW, Escher, you might check out <a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/ijbswa/"; target="_blank">Privoxy </a> as it works on OSX as well as other Unixes. I use it to block all ads, and block all cookies except for sites that need 'em (like AI or hotmail). This would give OmniWeb-like functionality to Chimera (or any web browser).

You just start privoxy and make your web browser use 127.0.0.1:8118 as a proxy server (127.0.0.1 means your machine, and 8118 is the port your web browser connects to your proxy server on).

If you want I can send you my config file which blocks all ads on all the mac sites I frequent (like AI, MOSR, theregus.com, Macrumors, Macnn.com, etc) and thus saves bandwidth and speeds web browsing and makes for a less distracting web experience.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    [quote]Originally posted by JDraden:

<strong>

Doesn't the Mozilla update posted recently take advantage of the carbon smoothing capabilities of 10.1.5 without silk?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know. I'd already installed Silk before I did the update. Whatever the reason, it looks much better.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    Someone w/ the OSX dev tools could compile just Mozilla, w/out email, composer, chat, etc. I think Mozilla by itself is in the neighborhood of 9MB compressed, so that same someone could put it on their iDisk for others as well.

It would take a long while to compile, though.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    [quote]Originally posted by rashumon:

<strong>Chimera would be my No.1 most definitely ! such a young piece of code and already so accomplished .. I keep downloading every new build with great pleasure every time .. only thing I'm still missing is full hebrew support like in mozilla

Mozilla would be No.2 - excellent compatibility but the UI sucks, itÕs very slow and feels like debug code .. not real app .

IE 5, hate it ! itÕs slow, buggy ( did you notice how slow it gets when you are downloading files ?) sure its compatible with all that MS proprietary ASP and Java script stuff .. but who cares ? I try to avoid it .... its really slow compared with Chimera !

OmniWeb is also good but a tad slow and the UI has some seriously annoying quirks .

Rule Chimera !</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hehe I was wrong - ver 3 Chimera now supports hebrew just like Mozolla but without the slugishness

I'm even happier....
  • Reply 49 of 67
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Since you just mentioned that, I downloaded Chimera 0.3. I was using Mozilla 1.1a. I gotta say, WOW! Chimera 0.3 is by far faster than Mozilla. I'm going to try to use Chimera now for all my web browsing if I can. I still have Mozilla loaded too so I can switch back and forth if need be, but I like everything about Chimera better, save for the lack of features compared to Mozilla.

Chimera looks better, is faster, and is just more "Mac-like" than Mozilla or IE. I'm willing to put up with the missing features in Chimera, that's how good I feel it is. Way to go, Chimera team, this is the best browser I've used on a Mac for years.

In case it matters, I'm on an 800 MHz/Superdrive flat panel iMac with 256 MB RAM, and on our company network with very high speed internet access. After having just now compared IE, Mozilla and Chimera back to back, I feel that I can say that Chimera is the clear speed champ.

I do have a question maybe somebody can help answer - how do I transfer bookmarks from Mozilla to Chimera? Maybe I just don't know where Mozilla and Chimera keep their bookmark files. Export doesn't work in Mozilla, and I can't find the Mozilla bookmark file to import into Chimera. Any hints?
  • Reply 50 of 67
    Assuming Chimera uses Mozilla's .html format, look in /home/you/.mozilla/you/something.obscure/bookmarks.html

note the period in front of /.mozilla/

Hope this helps!
  • Reply 51 of 67
    jdradenjdraden Posts: 89member
    Perhaps I will retract my vote for IE. I do notice that it becomes very sluggish if downloading something! that is horrible, isn't OS X supposed to fix stuff like that? Because of all the positive press from this forum, I've been trying out Mozilla 1.1a and have enjoyed it. I prefer the "Modern" Theme even though it doesn't go with Aqua all that well. I've also been using Chimera. A charm- but unstable. can't wait until it is solid. Hopefully there won't be too much of a speed hit between now and then.

For now, my NEW vote is, like so many of the others, for Mozilla!!
  • Reply 52 of 67
    [quote]Originally posted by JDraden:

<strong>Perhaps I will retract my vote for IE. I do notice that it becomes very sluggish if downloading something! that is horrible, isn't OS X supposed to fix stuff like that? Because of all the positive press from this forum, I've been trying out Mozilla 1.1a and have enjoyed it. I prefer the "Modern" Theme even though it doesn't go with Aqua all that well. I've also been using Chimera. A charm- but unstable. can't wait until it is solid. Hopefully there won't be too much of a speed hit between now and then.

For now, my NEW vote is, like so many of the others, for Mozilla!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Re IE .. sure, OS X does fix these things ! assuming developers code their apps properly .. muti-threding them the proper way...

you will notice the rest of the system does not go slugish while IE is DLing its only IE itself...

Just bad MS code...(as usual)
  • Reply 53 of 67
    [quote]Originally posted by jeromba:

<strong>Omniweb : Best 'X' browser</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree.

I think OW 4.1 is faster on a DP G4 than Mozilla 1.1 or Chimera .30.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    My experiense says:

If it´s speed your after, use Opera! It is the fastest browser out there!

If you need compabillity and error handling (i.e. on poorly written pages) use Explorer 5.1.

I alternate betwen them depending on what kind of pages I´m visiting...
  • Reply 55 of 67
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I like OmniWeb the best. I cant wait for it to my only browser (v5.0?). But, right now, I cant get by w/o IE as a backup.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    My experiense says:

If it´s speed your after, use Opera! It is the fastest browser out there!

If you need compabillity and error handling (i.e. on poorly written pages) use Explorer 5.1.

I alternate betwen them depending on what kind of pages I´m visiting...
  • Reply 57 of 67
    Mozilla is the best general purpose browser. Three features are worth having, and you can't get this set in any other package.

1. Tabbed browsing. The ability to hold and compare websites is invaluable. Opening up new windows in new tabs is great, as you can keep strolling down your tabs and know with certainty that you are not dropping any windows. This is important if you regularly browse multiple sites and open multiple links off of them.

2. Related to (1) is the ability to set a window full of tabs as a bookmark and save them to the toolbar. I can click once on my Mac Sites bookmark group. Before I can read the first site, all the other ten sites that I follow are loaded and waiting. Open a new window and pull up all my news sites, another window has my personal sites. Three menu pulls and three clicks. Boom! Three windows open, thirty significant sites. I'm not even using the keyboard commands yet. Coffee in one hand, Control page down in the other, I'm in caffeinated bliss. :cool: Count the pulls/clicks to open that many sites in IE or OW. Use a Calculator.

3. Open new tab in background. Glory be... this is an implementation missing forever.

IE is more stable for ordering and secure sites, but MOZ is coming along.

For a working tool, Mozilla helps me be far more productive than any other browser. The Mail pref does suck though.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    I whole-heartedly agree w/ the above post. Tabs are the she-at. Esp. opening them in the background, while still reading the current page, esp. when you can open a folder of links in one click.

Web browsing has never been better, IMHO.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    My my my... aren't we all opinionated?

In any case, I use Mozilla with the Navzilla_rc3 skin. It not only provides an aqua interface, it also helps it run faster. I am not sure why, it just does on my machine (400 mhx iMac w/320 mb ram).

Another thing that I like about Mozilla is the ability to save/reopen multiple tabs. I have one group that I click whenever I lauch Mozilla and it loads 12 web pages for me in different tabs.

Admittedly, I do NOT like Mozilla's email part, but so what? I did not install it for 9 and I ignore it in X.

Chimera shows a lot of promise and I have to say that Netscape 7 does as well.

&lt;edit: Navzilla is available here: <a href="http://www.zukes.com/mozilla/navzilla/"; target="_blank">http://www.zukes.com/mozilla/navzilla/</a>; /edit&gt;

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: Ringwraith ]</p>
  • Reply 60 of 67
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    chiming in for the non- existant iWeb