Microsoft expanding Mac team ahead of new products

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VertiGoGo View Post

Amen, brother!

Cross-platform video chatting in MSN needs to be implemented. Not being able to video or audio chat with folks on a Windows PC after all these years is simply unacceptable.

My two cents.

Cross-platform video chatting is already available in Mac Messenger, just that it's only available in corporate messenger form. Consumer Live Messenger is supposed to move to the same video protocol as corporate and Mac Messenger, but they seem to be the hold up right now.

At least this announcement reaffirms Microsoft's commitment to Mac. I bet it's targeted toward iPhone Office and as others have said the Cocoa/64-bit port. They might as well through in Grand Central and/or OpenCL support while they're doing a major rewrite.
  • Reply 22 of 85
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    So no one is going to rip me a new asshole over 'Publisher for the Mac'? (Post #8)

What's happened to this forum?
  • Reply 23 of 85
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    I think that delivering a much better Messenger and moving to 64-bit code is a given. But I will go out on a limb and guess that MS plans to bring IE back to the Mac. They may feel that they have ceded to much ground in the browser arena to both Firefox and Safari and may, in particular, see Safari on Windows as an encroachment they must respond to.
  • Reply 24 of 85
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I hope they hire people who can write decent performance-optimised code and deliver a version of Office that's faster than the previous version instead of fifteen times slower.

You'd think that someone who calls themselves "Language Police" would avoid hyperbole.

• Reply 25 of 85
    mr_zebramr_zebra Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I think that delivering a much better Messenger and moving to 64-bit code is a given. But I will go out on a limb and guess that MS plans to bring IE back to the Mac. They may feel that they have ceded to much ground in the browser arena to both Firefox and Safari and may, in particular, see Safari on Windows as an encroachment they must respond to.

This would be a scream. I'm sure Mac users would just be RUSHING to download it.
  • Reply 26 of 85
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

So no one is going to rip me a new asshole over 'Publisher for the Mac'? (Post #8)

My sister is actually hoping for such a critter. She has over 500 documents that she created in MS Publisher and whines every time I see her about not being able to access them since she switched to Mac. I keep telling her to get Fusion and install Windows & Publisher - - that usually shuts her up as she wants no part of Windows anymore.
  • Reply 27 of 85
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Maybe, just maybe, Ballmer is scared enough to start to compete in the Mac ecosystem? Wild thought but with Mac market share growing and workable Office alternatives out there might the MBU actually be thinking about doing something about it. Probably not but it's a nice thought nonetheless.
  • Reply 28 of 85
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nadyne View Post

Microsoft Expression and Silverlight aren't in MacBU. Those are in other divisions of Microsoft. The currently-released applications from MacBU are Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Entourage), Messenger, and Remote Desktop Connection.

Regards,

Nadyne.

Nadyne Mielke | user experience researcher

Microsoft Corporation | Macintosh Business Unit

http://blogs.msdn.com/nadyne/

MS ACCESS say Amen. Without the annoying bugs of course.
  • Reply 29 of 85
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

You'd think that someone who calls themselves "Language Police" would avoid hyperbole.

Oh really? And why's that?

The sad fact of the matter is that the first version of Excel 2008 was significantly slower than Excel 2004, both running on an Intel Mac. Even though 2004 had to run via Rosetta, it could still plot a large x-y data-set over four times (no exaggeration) faster than 2008. SP1 of 2008 has made some improvements, but they've still got a long way to go where performance is concerned.
  • Reply 30 of 85
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

it would be nicer if Apple finally dropped the jabs (even in good fun) and did the same, respecting one of their biggest partners despite the history that led them both to where they are now.

Hello, I'm the 1990s, I'm dead. Please move on without me.

Hear! Hear!
  • Reply 31 of 85
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    hopefully now we'll get a decent MSN
  • Reply 32 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JGar View Post

Money for Mac?

Cosign!
  • Reply 33 of 85
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

<rrrriiipppp>

There you go.

Feeling better, btm ? :-)

What a sorry excuse for an app that pos is.

Sheeeit - I used to work prepress years ago - man, if anything helped slow the onslaught of all the would be graphic designers and desktop publishers it was that app. lol

The looks on their faces when you showed them how the app drew a line.

Not to mention the time I had to bill them for to convert their layout over into something an image setter could actually use ...

Well, I guess if you've never seen a publisher doc converted to paths you wouldn't know what the heck I was talking about - but imagine a line.

Now imagine that the line is actually described by using a very small rectangle with a fill. lots and lots and lotsa of them to describe the length. roflmao
  • Reply 34 of 85
    All Microsoft software for the Mac sucks.

I thank God (or at least Steve Jobs) that Apple did not rely on Microsoft writing the ActiveSync implementation for the iPhone. You can just imagine how awful it would have been.

I pray Steve Jobs ensures the AppStore remains unsoiled by Microsoft malware.

To paraphrase someone else, the MBU should shutup shop and return the money to the shareholders.

Q. Where in the world is the OpenXML plugin for Office2004?

A. http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/
  • Reply 35 of 85
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft's Mac chief didn't elaborate on exactly what those future products and directions would entail, though he did promise prospective hires the opportunity to work for the "the brightest, coolest, and most interesting business unit at Microsoft" where the "free caffeine, [...] milk and juice" will be ever flowing.

And there will be monthly dance-offs to determine who gets the corner office...

• Reply 36 of 85
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member
    Years ago Microsoft bought out VirtualPC from Connectix and killed it. Why they have or haven't done a Intel version, who knows? Then again, when Microsoft buys a company we know their history.
  • Reply 37 of 85
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Native ODF 1.2 full compatibility/compliance.

Microsoft realizes ODF is here to stay and that OpenOffice 3.0 Cocoa is a viable threat to their Mac Business Unit.

I expect to see iWork offer something to truly keep it worth using and also compliment using OpenOffice 3.x.
  • Reply 38 of 85
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    What's more important, nice looking interface or feature parity with Windows versions of the applications?
  • Reply 39 of 85
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Microsoft thought the OS and the browser wars were over when they dropped IE for Mac. Er, wrong on both counts. If the Mac's market share continues to grow, then we'll see more Gecko and Webkit marketshare eroding IE's dominance, in addition to all the Window's users switching to Firefox. Developers eventually could stop targeting IE altogether. This when the importance of the browser is even greater now than when MS "won" the browser wars, and could become a central target for application development if one or two javascript frameworks, such as Sproutcore, become dominant.

I predict Microsoft scrambles to catch up by releasing a new version of IE for the Mac. The problem is, they will have an extremely difficult time matching Gecko's or Webkit's cross-platform consistency, which is what makes them such attractive targets for development.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

The problem is, they will have an extremely difficult time matching Gecko's or Webkit's cross-platform consistency, which is what makes them such attractive targets for development.

No. The problem is a total of 3 people will bother to download, install, and use IE for Mac if ever they do develop and release it.