Microsoft expanding Mac team ahead of new products

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 85
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

It's called Outlook, with all its hooks into Exchange Server features that are not available on any other application.

And OpenOffice is better than iWork/Mail/iCal how?

There's no Outlook killer in OpenOffice either. I'd say that Apple is better at exchange integration overall.
  • Reply 82 of 85
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Federal Contracts require ODF native support to get future contracts with the US Government and international governments.

The US federal government? Link.

Not even Mass requires ODF as they accepted OOXML.

Quote:

ODF 1.2 is an excellent solution that eliminates vendor lock-in.

We'll see. The probability that iWork goes ODF 1.2 native seems very remote despite support in TextEdit. While iWork can read OOXML, it can't write it in iWork yet.

Apple was on the OOXML Ecma comittee and if I recall correctly had little input into ODF. In any case iWork has its own native XML schema.

Not having read the ODF spec in all its glory, I'm not certain that it can support Numbers anyway.
  • Reply 83 of 85
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I'm with the Trader.

Numbers' cells-on-a-grid aspect is very innovative, but often gets in your way.

Apple may have to split the program into two modes (like Pages) for those who want a regular spreadsheet and those who want a more DTP approach to tables.

It's never got in my way. I prefer it to the multiple worksheet approach of older spreadsheet apps. There's a lot less cutting and pasting and remembering cell names.

How is it getting 'in your way' ?
  • Reply 84 of 85
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

...Apple may have to split the program into two modes (like Pages) for those who want a regular spreadsheet and those who want a more DTP approach to tables.

There are a lot of AppleWorks databases out there and I do not see Apple leaving them out in the cold. After Steve finished his demo of iWork '08 he said "That completes our suite" or something to that effect, which tells me there will not be another application added to iWork. I do not know if Numbers will get split into modes like Pages was, but I do think Apple will add database functionality to Numbers so people can get their database data in AppleWorks into iWork, as well as, create new databases.
  • Reply 85 of 85
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

The US federal government? Link.

Not even Mass requires ODF as they accepted OOXML.

We'll see. The probability that iWork goes ODF 1.2 native seems very remote despite support in TextEdit. While iWork can read OOXML, it can't write it in iWork yet.

Apple was on the OOXML Ecma comittee and if I recall correctly had little input into ODF. In any case iWork has its own native XML schema.

Not having read the ODF spec in all its glory, I'm not certain that it can support Numbers anyway.

ODF 1.x can support Numbers, let alone the upcoming ODF 1.2 most certainly can. It's up to Apple to augment their schema to interact seemlessly with ODF, in order to have Cocoa APIs leverage those entities and data types assignments.