AT&T announces iPhone 3G plans, 8 a.m. launch time on July 11

Comments

• Reply 21 of 263
    guppy737guppy737 Posts: 26member
    World class fark-job from ATT here. I upgraded my ATT phone in March, not knowing what the story was gonna be with iphone 3G. And now I'm screwed on the price. That's cool, I'd rather wait than give ATT one more dime than I have to.
  • Reply 22 of 263
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Steve Jobs stated publicly that the iPhone 3G would cost $199 (8GB) and $299 (16GB). No conditions. Obviously then, if AT&T charges more, then Apple will subsidize us for the difference.
  • Reply 23 of 263
    contegnicontegni Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

The current equivalent plans, for one phone, which is what is shown, are $10/month less. I pay $60/month for my phone for the 450/unlimited data. With the upgrade I will pay $70/month. That's it. So I save $200 on the price and pay $240 on the contract. So $40/24 months - < $2/month for 3G speeds. Worth it?

When you put it that way, it doesn't look as bad.

But when you look at my current status, paying $30 per month and now all of a sudden having to pay $70 per month, I'm really getting screwed (as are many other people.) The iPhone 3G only has a couple better features; other from GPS and 3G it's practically the same phone. I don't think it's nearly enough for AT&T to escalate the prices that much.

Yes I understand 3G is a more expensive service to provide than EDGE. But as a customer, paying over a 100% premium, the only difference will be faster date (if you have 3G coverage in your area.)
  • Reply 24 of 263
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guppy737 View Post

World class fark-job from ATT here. I upgraded my ATT phone in March, not knowing what the story was gonna be with iphone 3G. And now I'm screwed on the price. That's cool, I'd rather wait than give ATT one more dime than I have to.

What exactly did you think was going to happen. You can call AT&T right now to find your upgrade eligibility date. It was in the contract you signed for the phone.

I had this discussion with an AI last week that was adamant that he wasn't going to have to cancel his current contract in order to get the iPhone for $199.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Steve Jobs stated publicly that the iPhone 3G would cost $199 (8GB) and $299 (16GB). No conditions. Obviously then, if AT&T charges more, then Apple will subsidize us for the difference.

No conditions, eh? I think you need to re-watch the keynote.

PS: I'm constantly shaking my head why so many people on these forums don't understand how a subsidies or selling items for a profit works.
  • Reply 25 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3DG View Post

I'm appalled at the arrogance of these phone companies - AT&T in particular. What better way to say "f**k you" to your existing, paying, loyal customers. You're not "eligible" for an upgrade? WTF is that? I'm signing, agreeing, committing to an additional 2 years of PAYING YOU and you want to nickle and dime me on the hardware?

I'm glad I'm eligible, but if I wasn't, Apple would be loosing another iPhone sale. AT&T is greed. Pure and simple.

My experience with AT&T (I've been a customer since right after they changed from BellSouth Mobility to Cingular, about 6 years or so) has been that the "Contract" is decidedly one-sided. They have changed items in my service more than once without asking me first to at least come sign a new contract. Oh, I'm sure there's some line in the contract concerning reserving that right but it would be nice to at least be notified.

For instance, when I initially signed up, text messaging was free. Imagine that! Not even a year into my contract I get my bill and see over $30 in texting fees. They were $.10/minute. Funny, the contract for service I signed said they were free.

Last month, they changed a service on me. They data plan I signed up for had been replaced by something else so they changed my plan to the next closest thing. No fee hike this time, and I'm not loosing anything really. It would have been nice to have known before I got the bill.
  • Reply 26 of 263
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Contegni View Post

When you put it that way, it doesn't look as bad.

But when you look at my current status, paying $30 per month and now all of a sudden having to pay $70 per month, I'm really getting screwed (as are many other people.) The iPhone 3G only has a couple better features; other from GPS and 3G it's practically the same phone. I don't think it's nearly enough for AT&T to escalate the prices that much.

Yes I understand 3G is a more expensive service to provide than EDGE, but as a customer, paying over a 100% premium, the only difference will be faster date (if you have 3G coverage in your area.)

What plan are you on that is only $30/month? Those listed above are identical to those listed at the launch of the iPhone a year ago. If you have some other plan then have you asked ATT if that other plan is also now available at about the same premium? So far I don't see anything unreasonable in AT&T proposals. I'm sure, based on the original launch, that there are other plans around. I know, for a fact, that business plans are out now as we are looking at switching to them.
  • Reply 27 of 263
    contegnicontegni Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

What plan are you on that is only $30/month? Those listed above are identical to those listed at the launch of the iPhone a year ago. If you have some other plan then have you asked ATT if that other plan is also now available at about the same premium? So far I don't see anything unreasonable in AT&T proposals. I'm sure, based on the original launch, that there are other plans around. I know, for a fact, that business plans are out now as we are looking at switching to them.

I'm on a family share plan. My line is $9.99 and the iPhone service is $19.99.
  • Reply 28 of 263
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I pay 104 a month for 900 minutes and 1500 text messages. So now it's going to cost an extra 10 dollars a month just for 3g and 15 bucks for 1500 text messages. And if I want to use Activesync I have to get an additional 45 dollar plan? Am I reading that wrong? I don't think it's fair to *seemingly* lock out Activesync to only business users. WTF is that about? I've had other provider smartphones (T-Mobile Dash) have Activesync built-in and it was free to use it. I never had to suscribe to an additional plan for activesync. Overall, I think I will be passing on this phone.
  • Reply 29 of 263
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carletonguy View Post

I miss the option to add the iPhone data plan to an existing ATT voice plan. I'd be totally fine if the upgrade option was now $30 for the 3G... But it seems like that is no longer going to work... This means the iPhone isn?t $10 more expensive for me, it?s really $20 more expensive, while providing me less minutes than before.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with the iPhone data package being $30 a month, as that is standard fare for ATT 3G service (the current iPhone rate plan was the cheapest in the business next to the Sidekick?s data package?but who the hell wants a Sidekick!?). My problem is now I am forced into a bundled package voice / data plan that will cost me more while giving me less. That just seems lame when all I want to do is upgrade my device.

My current iPhone plan:

IPHONE DATA WITH UNLIMITED TXT: $40

VOICE: 1000 voice minutes for $50

I signed up at some random cart in the mall on the day of the iPhone launch, got a free crappy backup phone, and saved on the voice plan because EVERYONE will deal on voice rates except corporate stores. That made me an existing ATT customer 30 minutes before the iPhone went on sale last June and thus eligible for the $20 a month iPhone upgrade.

So, my current monthly fee is $90.

With the new iPhone, I?d be paying $90, lose 100 minutes a month (the package only gives you 900 minutes), AND lose texting. When I add the text package, I?m at $110 a month before taxes, fees, blah blah blah.

That seems pretty lame. Paying over $20 more a month and getting less service makes my current iPhone seem miiiighty fine. Once MobileMe rolls out (I?m already a heavy .Mac user) I?ll be just fine. I?ll wait and upgrade once the phone has video conferencing, a better camera, a flash, is thinner, will clean my house, etc, etc, etc.

=]

well, $20 a month over 24 months is $480, so if the price difference of getting an iphone 3G w/o the contract extension is less than that, you can probably fly under the radar and keep your plan. If your phone is 3G capable, i doubt that they would be able to restrict your account's individual access to 3G if you had it enabled on your phone.
  • Reply 30 of 263
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I Have the feeling you did not fully read. The iPhone is $399 for current AT&T customers who are not eligible for a discounted upgrade. It says if you are not eligible for the upgrade now, you can wait until you are.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

BTW, the $399 is ONLY for those who are with AT&T but not eligible to get a new phone yet. The unsubsidized price is $599 for the 8GB model and $699 or the 16GB model.

PS: I think most AT&T contract cancelation fees are under $200 so it might behoove some of your to pay your cancelation fee first then sign up for the 3G iPhone.

I did read the text fully, and think it is horse shit.

If I were move to an iPhone form my current phone, it would 100% benefit ATT. My monthly cost would jump and I would need to start my 2 years of servitude from scratch. While this might not be bait and switch (thanks counselor), it sure seems shady.

Apple's site lists the base price as $199 w/ a 2-yr plan. It says nothing about upgrade eligibility or costs. Both Apple and ATT have publicized the $199 price...again w/no mention of a subsidy. Who are the "we" that has know of the subsidy? I searched Apple and CNN--nada. The only mention of cost that I found was $199 & $299.

There has been no publication of the "eligibility" periods. I am a reluctant ATT customer, and have been putting up w/their crap service/coverage for a while now because I'd like to get an iPhone. My old phone died in December, and I was forced to buy a replacement. There was no mention of this action adding $200 to my future iPhone purchase. I bought the most basic model, so that I could minimize my financial hit. I also specifically told the ATT rep of my plan to replace the phone, and was told it wouldn't be a problem.

From the iPhone site:

"Phone, iPod, and Internet in one fast 3G device. Starting at $199.*"

"* Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions. Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first-generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately."

From Apple's press release:

"In the US the new iPhone 3G is priced at a stunning $199 for the 8GB model, and just $299 for the 16GB model.** "

"**Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new two year AT&T rate plan, sold separately. "

So, the lesson here is, "buyer be ware" ...especially when listening Apple's marketing.
  • Reply 31 of 263
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starrius View Post

My experience with AT&T (I've been a customer since right after they changed from BellSouth Mobility to Cingular, about 6 years or so) has been that the "Contract" is decidedly one-sided. They have changed items in my service more than once without asking me first to at least come sign a new contract. Oh, I'm sure there's some line in the contract concerning reserving that right but it would be nice to at least be notified.

For instance, when I initially signed up, text messaging was free. Imagine that! Not even a year into my contract I get my bill and see over $30 in texting fees. They were $.10/minute. Funny, the contract for service I signed said they were free.

Last month, they changed a service on me. They data plan I signed up for had been replaced by something else so they changed my plan to the next closest thing. No fee hike this time, and I'm not loosing anything really. It would have been nice to have known before I got the bill.

Did you know that that allows you to break your contract? When a wireless carrier makes changes to a contract that affect you in a material way, you are allowed to break your contract with no early termination fee. I tend to welcome this so called "one sided" changes because it offers a way out.
  • Reply 32 of 263
    archer75archer75 Posts: 204member
    I don't care how much or how little the phone costs, i'm not paying those monthly fees.
  • Reply 33 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

As much slack as I'm generally willing to cut Apple, I'd be upset if I were a first gen owner now being hit with an extra $10/mo that is generally assumed to be AT&T's charge for subsidizing the 3G phones.

And that's $10 extra for a feature useless to first gen owners.

What, they're going to increase the service price for those of us who bought an iPhone last year?

My grandmother and I had both AT&T, both phones under her name (but hers wsn't an iPhone), she passed away recently, so I had to switch my iPhone to my name (yesterday). The lady on the phone said my bill would still be $60 and my contract ends July 2009.
  • Reply 34 of 263
    god, i hate AT&T. might get one without a contract. how would that work?

AT&T just keeps jacking up the price. NO INCLUDED SMS?!! so stupid. phone companies suck.
  • Reply 35 of 263
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

I don't care how much or how little the phone costs, i'm not paying those monthly fees.

I was in line and purchased the iPhone on opening day at an AT&T store. I have a big fat nice plan on the phone. I agree with you. Those plans are a rip off. Bend me over AT&T.

I'll see how long I can resist the urge. I am thinking it just got a lot easier to resist with those rates.
  • Reply 36 of 263
    Moved to the UK, for the first time EVER we are getting a better deal than the US!
  • Reply 37 of 263
    rjhararyrjharary Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3DG View Post

I'm appalled at the arrogance of these phone companies - AT&T in particular. What better way to say "f**k you" to your existing, paying, loyal customers. You're not "eligible" for an upgrade? WTF is that? I'm signing, agreeing, committing to an additional 2 years of PAYING YOU and you want to nickle and dime me on the hardware?

I'm glad I'm eligible, but if I wasn't, Apple would be loosing another iPhone sale. AT&T is greed. Pure and simple.

this makes me mad too
  • Reply 38 of 263
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: I'm constantly shaking my head why so many people on these forums don't understand how a subsidies or selling items for a profit works.

You got that right!

Also does it occur to anyone that maybe AT&T is trying to do the right thing here with respect to text messaging. As has been pointed out text messaging is one of the biggest rip offs going, so AT&T has made that optional for people who just can't grasp the alternatives. Seems like a smart move on AT&T's part.

Personally I'm not happy with the increase in the plans cost otherwise but at the same time understand what is going on. The hardware has to be paid for somehow. My biggest concern is that Apple might actually be making more of a profit this time around on each unit. I don't mind Apple making a profit, that is reasonable, I just don't personally want to fund Steve's trips to the Orient. So while I understand profits, I've yet to do the math myself to see if it is justified in sending that much money Apples way!

Notably the bigger frustration is the total lack of competition with respect to the iPhone hardware and software stack. I was really hoping that Android was out buy now to have some sort of competitive impact against AT&T & Apple. In a nut shell this is what Apple really needs good old fashion competition.

Dave
  • Reply 39 of 263
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    However....the extra 10 bucks a month for 3g access and the non-inclusion of SMS is inline with all the rest of their plans for all other smartphones. In that respect, they aren't raising prices compared to the rest of their smartphone plans.
  • Reply 40 of 263
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhapsodyinpink69 View Post

god, i hate AT&T. might get one without a contract. how would that work?

AT&T just keeps jacking up the price. NO INCLUDED SMS?!! so stupid. phone companies suck.

$600 for the 8 GB, $700 for the 16 GB. Cheaper than the Nokia N95 8 GB.

If I had money to burn, I would just get the 16 GB - the data plans will cost more over time, and I don't SMS, and would just have the Wifi + phone.