AT&T announces iPhone 3G plans, 8 a.m. launch time on July 11

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 263
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Welcome to the wonderful world of a strong WiFi signal. It's faster and will serve you better in the end. AND all iPhones can use it. I'm sorry your net connection at work is slow. Hopefully you will gain more hotspot access. For many of us there are fast hotspots everywhere. I have a fast one at work, campus and home as well as the malls, etc.

Didn't say "don't want" I said "don't/won't need".

Sure it is because they won't be guaranteeing even that. Wait and see the speeds that occur. They won't be fast enough to make dealing with AT&T's ripoff rates feel any better. I can assure you this pricing issue will not die down. Unlocking is the way to go.

The reviews say you're wrong.

Mossberg:

Quote:

In my tests, in Washington and New York, I got data speeds mostly ranging between 200 and 500 kilobits per second. By comparison, the original iPhone, tested in the same spots at the same time, mostly got cellular data speeds between 70 and 150 kbps on AT&T’s old EDGE network. The new iPhone typically was between three and five times as fast as the old one.

Baig:

Quote:

]Apple's claims that 3G speeds are twice as fast as Edge were confirmed by my own download tests. It generally took 10 to 30 seconds to load popular websites through 3G, a lot zippier than when I accessed the sites on Edge. Oddly, parts of the pages sometimes showed up first on the older iPhone screen. But pages always finished loading on the 3G device first, often by a half minute or more. Wi-Fi, if available, is still the fastest method for downloads.

Those are real-world tests. 30 full seconds? That's nothing minor in terms of speed. And don't tell us about hotspots. They're out there, but they are far from ubiquitous (especially free ones).
  • Reply 262 of 263
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Those are real-world tests. 30 full seconds? That's nothing minor in terms of speed. And don't tell us about hotspots. They're out there, but they are far from ubiquitous (especially free ones).

Even if it's just 5 seconds, that adds up to a lot more viewed webpages and faster streaming of video.

As for WiFi, the cheap routers used at coffee shops can get bogged down quickly. Now with so many phones with WiFI coming out this problem will continue to get worse. While there are routers designed specifically for commercial hotspots, there are very few places with free WiFi that seem to use them.
  • Reply 263 of 263
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Jason Chen of Gizmodo spoke with AT&T a couple times today and got a logical answer that me and others had been telling you.
    It looks like our the rep at AT&T gave us the wrong info despite double-checking the situation. If you recently sold your phone but haven't purchased another phone through AT&T with a subsidy and renewed a contract, then you're still eligible for a subsidized iPhone 3G at $199/$299. Even if you shoved your SIM into a temporary phone while you wait out the launch. If you have purchased a new phone with a subsidy, you're not eligible for another subsidy. Glad we cleared this up! Sorry for the scare. Our original post is after the jump, struck out.
    This is common sense, I hope you had your new AT&T phone less than 30 days and returned it, because that $200 premium or near-$175 cancelation charge will be in effect. I can only hope you understand why you have to pay more with an ineligible contract and why "2-year contract" appended with the price of the device states the the basic terms of the subsidy without necessary saying the word subsidy.

Many consumers who are interested in buying their first iPhone (me) have not been dissecting the finer points of ATT/Apple's sales pitch. Since the iPhone was introduced, the price (199/299) has been listed in nearly every press release, news article, ad, and keynote. No amount of quotes or explanation will change the fact that a significant number of people have been surprised by reality of the 3G's pricing. I see the posts here, other forums, and stories on other sites. Go no further than AI to read about some of the mainstream press coverage: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...users_407.html . While this may not constitute false advertising in legal terms, I'd say that the ads have been intentionally misleading.

As I mentioned, I did not "upgrade" my previous phone. The thing died, and I had to get a replacement (big f'u Chris_CA...use some sense). The year is 2008, and cell phones are part of our daily lives. So, knowing that the new iPhone was just around the corner, I called ATT and asked about the best way to replace my dead phone. What I was told, apparently, had no bearing on reality, and I am penalized for being a long-standing ATT customer.

Those that have responded to my earlier posts seemed to think people like myself are whining or confused. No, we really get it, and are irritated.

ATT should hire some of you, as I think it is you who are confused and too accustomed to the taste of Koolaid. Lets be clear about the situation that myself and others are in:

- We have a contract with ATT

- Despite our relative level of satisfaction with the company and because of a 3rd party's product, we would like to extend and increase the monthly cost of this contract

- Because of our status as existing customers, we are told that we must pay a $200 premium over those who walk in off the street (Why do I say premium? Because the advertised price was not advertised as a subsidized cost. Therefore, the ATT customer has a perceived base-price increase of $200)

- In some cases, this directly contradicts the buying advice that was provided by ATT

This is pretty straight forward. If the model were applied to almost any other industry, people would be outraged. I will vote with my dollars and not buy an iPhone. Again, I understand...and still think it is horse shit.