Microsoft plans anti-Apple marketing blitz for Vista

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

thats very disingenious, the software is 'cheap' because the hardware is overpriced.

If someone gave me base mac mini model money I could build them a tremendous rig (including Vista ultimate) that would be at 'least' as stable as OS X...and give them some change.!

trust me I've done it.

the people who have problems with Vista are those doing it on $300 pc's.

anyhow..my experience with Leopard (compared to Tiger) is that its a step back stability wise.

Man you took the "post" right off my keyboard. Apple is smart at how they package their hardware configurations. That is one of the main reasons why it is a more stable system than windows. I build powerful game systems and linux server customs all the time. Want to sell my first x-serve but most folks up here in VT have offices full of pc's.
  • Reply 102 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpguru21 View Post

Man you took the "post" right off my keyboard. Apple is smart at how they package their hardware configurations. That is one of the main reasons why it is a more stable system than windows. I build powerful game systems and linux server customs all the time. Want to sell my first x-serve but most folks up here in VT have offices full of pc's.

lol ook i fell right into it. By the apple term pc i meant windows. both, of course, can be pc's.

• Reply 103 of 104
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

So.... a Mac that can run OS X, Win XP, Vista, Linux, Microsoft Office and more is not about "choice" and "compatibility," but a Vista-only PC from Microsoft's monopoly is That will be tough to pass off.

"There's a conversation going on in the marketplace today and it's just plain awful. We've got to get back on the front foot."

I fear that says it all. (Attempt to) change the conversation, instead of changing their products.

One rule of advertising is that a dominant company should not even acknowledge its smaller competition--that only legitimizes the smaller options. If Microsoft really does make anti-Apple ads, and those ads are truly well done (doubtful) then it will STILL help Apple sell more Macs than if Microsoft had just advertised Vista with no Mac comparison at all. Microsoft should be keeping Macs OFF the consumer's radar as long as they can, if it's not already too late. (See also: iPod and iPhone halo effect.)

Microsoft would be sending the message, "Nobody really used to use Macs, but they do now and we're worried! Here's why you should switch to our new thing, Vista, instead of their new thing: Vista's not as bad as it was before, honest!"

A smarter message would be Apple-free: "Nothing but Windows exists. You love that! Shiny happy flying freedom!"

That sounds a bit retarded... probably because it is.

Every (reasonably configured) PC can run pretty much any OS... except Mac OS, because Apple is pathologically forbidding people to run it on anything that does not come from Apple.

On the other side, Microsoft does not care what sticker is on your hardware box; if hardware is compatible, you're OK.

At the end of the day, Apple is happy to "borrow" other OS-es in order to make their platform a bit more desirable and sell some more, but they are not happy to provide same courtesy to other hardware manufacturers.

Much as I am considered, that is LAME.

Vista and Mac OS comparison looks bad only in Apple ads; mostly because most of them are shameless lies... like the one trying to insinuate Windows can not communicate with digital cameras (wtf?!? I still have digital camera that came with Windows software & connectivity only, and being camera enthusiast, have never seen camera with exclusive or at least better support for Mac OS).
  • Reply 104 of 104
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

At the end of the day, Apple is happy to "borrow" other OS-es in order to make their platform a bit more desirable and sell some more, but they are not happy to provide same courtesy to other hardware manufacturers.

Those are two different sets. No other consumer computer hardware maker of significance makes their own OS. Apple doesn't "borrow" anything from Dell, so why should Apple "give back" to Dell?

Quote:

Much as I am considered, that is LAME.

I think you'll have to deal with it, at least for a while. Every company that has tried to compete head-on with Windows for commodity consumer PCs is dead (BeOS, OS/2) or irrelevant (Linux, BSD, OpenSolaris). The inertia of the incumbent OS (Windows) is just too great to be able to compete on the same turf.