First iPhone 3G reviews via the WSJ, USA Today and NY Times

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phil12345 View Post

thats not right

plastic wont absorb shocks at all - if there is a strong bang the plastic will shatter

if it were aluminium that would bend and dent slightly, absorbing the impact, but leaving you with a deformed case

What plastic are you talking about? There are some plastics that are more resilient than steel. Seeing as very few people have seen this thing, I'm just going to assume you're talking out of your ass.
  • Reply 22 of 87
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Animal Farm View Post

Too small? I wasn't aware these were particularly large anymore. In all honesty, I don't know very much about the subject -- any resident experts willing to clear this up?

I hope there is a way to boost the reception of the GPS signal somehow while in the card, maybe via an external antenna?
  • Reply 23 of 87
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:

why do you need a mouse? you cant do multitouch, and you would have to hold the phone tosee it, and may as well touch it

He wasn't referring to a pointing device, but a GPS mouse, which is essentially a cabled GPS receiver with no display, designed to be plugged into a computer via a cable (as opposed to Bluetooth GPS receivers).
  • Reply 24 of 87
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

He wasn't referring to a pointing device, but a GPS mouse, which is essentially a cabled GPS receiver with no display, designed to be plugged into a computer via a cable (as opposed to Bluetooth GPS receivers).

i was referring to the bluetooth GPS m,ouse, and the missing bluetooth stack that makes it impossible right now to pair those with the iphone osX 1.1.4...

it would give the "old" iphone 2G even better GPS capability than the iphone 3G, and it would give the iphone 3G better GPS reception, since the built in GPS has strong limitations, since one can place the antenna as needed... with the external device one can place the bluetooth GPS mouse @ a location where the reception is optimal! and the battery darin is not a huge!!!

my tomtom BT GPS mouse last up to 10h...!!! i used to use it with my old smartphone, the treo 650, and the tomtom navigator software
  • Reply 25 of 87
    robmackrobmack Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

What plastic are you talking about? There are some plastics that are more resilient than steel. Seeing as very few people have seen this thing, I'm just going to assume you're talking out of your ass.

I guess the other issue I have, if you can call it that, is the fact that lately Apple have been pushing Aluminum because it is "environmentally friendly" and here they are using it on arguably their most consumable product.
  • Reply 26 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

Being resilient to an impact often makes plastics less capable in other categories. Rigidity is one area that may be compromised if you make plastic highly resilient. As previously noted, it may be due to the environmental issues but even that is debatable as the production of plastic requires considerably less resources and can be produced more locally than aluminium. Of course, if you have pure recycled aluminium at your disposable then the debate heavily favors one side.

Personally, I'm still waiting for spider web and carbon fibers to create a computers whose chassis nearly indestructible chassis is also contains optical nano-tubing processors. (yeah, I'm making stuff up)
  • Reply 27 of 87
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    And there you have it- Mossberg's call in NYC dropped 3 times in a cab along the Hudson and worked flawlessly with a cheap Verizon phone. That's why in NYC us with Verizon will most likely not change to crappy AT&Fee. The choice is not merely for the phone that matters, more importantly it's the quality of the call.

Regardless of the physical prowess and features on any device (Apple or otherwise) it's the call quality stupid- IT"S A PHONE FIRST.
  • Reply 28 of 87
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robmack View Post

…But does anyone have any concern about the back of the phone being made out of plastic?

As Jobs has already said and the article states, "…plastic should improve reception versus the original's aluminum."

I don't know much about GPS and how it picks up the C/A code, but my GPS's I use boating don't work in metal enclosures and I can't remember a GPS with a metal back. All my units are plastic covered, and much larger than the iPhone. In fact, the first GPS's had to have external antennas to work well. In later models, the antennas became smaller on the handhelds and now they are internal, and bulkier, in part to satisfy the antenna requirements.

And for what it is worth, Mobile Magazine postulated that, "part of the reason why Apple may opt for a plastic back is that a metal back may interfere with all the wireless radios getting shoved into the new iPhone, like quad-band GSM, tri-band WCDMA, 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and so on."

So for those that wanted everything but the kitchen sink in the new iPhone, get over it. And for having to use plastic over aluminum and defying Apple's "environmentally friendly" strategies, sometimes the law of physics overrides mother nature. But then the law of physics is the law of mother nature.
  • Reply 29 of 87
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As Jobs has already said ant the article states, "?plastic should improve reception versus the original's aluminum."

Should? Didn't they already learn this lesson from the Titanium PowerBook?
  • Reply 30 of 87
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

thats not right

plastic wont absorb shocks at all - if there is a strong bang the plastic will shatter

if it were aluminium that would bend and dent slightly, absorbing the impact, but leaving you with a deformed case

Nope. Plastics used for cases won't shatter. These are picked for their resistance to that. Mostly polycarbonate is used, and you can't break that no matter what you do. There are other plastics that work for this as well, such as ABS and ABS/PVC. More exotic materials include ECTFE, FEP, PETG, and others.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

i have to agree!!!

impact wise the old iphone 2G has an advantage ove rthe plastic iphone 3G..!

Completely incorrect.
  • Reply 32 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robmack View Post

I guess the other issue I have, if you can call it that, is the fact that lately Apple have been pushing Aluminum because it is "environmentally friendly" and here they are using it on arguably their most consumable product.

You must use whatever material is best for the purpose.
  • Reply 33 of 87
    Walt's so afraid of being accused of being a fanboy that he has to pan the device to some degree. He makes reasonable points, but puts undue attention on battery life. Let's be honest, when you're at the office, in the car or at home, the device can be plugged in. I doubt battery life is going to be an issue for most especially considering that you can turn off 3g. I'd be really curious to know why Apple has such a stubborn attitude towards a design with a removable battery. Is it an engineering issue, anti-tampering protection, revenue protection.....?

As far as ATT's network is concerned, better than most. That said, I wish Apple offered the device to all 3G capable providers....
  • Reply 34 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And there you have it- Mossberg's call in NYC dropped 3 times in a cab along the Hudson and worked flawlessly with a cheap Verizon phone. That's why in NYC us with Verizon will most likely not change to crappy AT&Fee. The choice is not merely for the phone that matters, more importantly it's the quality of the call.

Regardless of the physical prowess and features on any device (Apple or otherwise) it's the call quality stupid- IT"S A PHONE FIRST.

Are you still paying the minimum $45 a month for your web data plan?
  • Reply 35 of 87
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Should? Didn't they already learn this lesson from the Titanium PowerBook?

What is your point? What lesson?
  • Reply 36 of 87
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You must use whatever material is best for the purpose.

Yes. Consumer gadgets must take precedence over all other concerns.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Personally, I'm still waiting for spider web and carbon fibers to create a computers whose chassis nearly indestructible chassis is also contains optical nano-tubing processors. (yeah, I'm making stuff up)

Not to mention using up carbon by the ton. The more industrial use for carbon the better. They need to make everything from iPhone cases to reinforced buildings with carbon web. Being Green doesn't just have to be the reduction of CO2 it could be the mass use of pure carbon as a material.
  • Reply 38 of 87
    "I ran my own battery tests using the phone?s 3G capability. Although I left the Wi-Fi function on, I didn?t connect it to a network, so the phone had to rely on 3G. In my test of voice calling, I got 4 hours and 27 minutes, short of Apple?s maximum claim and nearly three hours less than what I recorded in the same test last year on the original iPhone. In my test of Internet use over 3G, I got 5 hours and 49 minutes, better than Apple?s claim, but far short of the nine hours I got using Wi-Fi in last year?s tests.

More important, in daily use, I found the battery indicator on the new 3G model slipping below 20% by early afternoon or midafternoon on some days, and it entirely ran out of juice on one day. I overcame this problem by learning to use Wi-Fi instead of 3G whenever possible, turning down the screen brightness and even turning off 3G altogether, which the phone permits.

The iPhone 3G?s battery life is comparable to, or better than, that of some other 3G competitors. But they have replaceable batteries. The iPhone doesn?t."
  • Reply 39 of 87
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

thats not right

You're only showing your ignorance. The real properties of plastics vary, it depends on the type in question. If it's polycarbonate, it will NOT shatter. Apple has used polycarbonate on its iBooks, iPod faces and so on, I think every portable Apple device that has plastic on the outer shell. I'll see if I can get a little sheet of it and shoot a video of me trying to shatter it. It rebounds strong enough that the hammer can be a danger, and still not crack or shatter. It's quite scary.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Being resilient to an impact often makes plastics less capable in other categories. Rigidity is one area that may be compromised if you make plastic highly resilient.

Did you or someone you personally know have rigidity or impact trouble with Apple's white notebooks or iPods?
  • Reply 40 of 87
    anderkhanderkh Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w1n78 View Post

"While iPhone Software v2.0 allows for both personal and Exchange email accounts to function simultaneously, synching Exchange calendars and contacts will erase any personal calendars and contacts."

well, that sucks \

It sucks so bad that I've decided to not get one now... How hard could it be to separate address book and calendars? The top reason for me to get an iPhone is to go to one device, but if I can't have my personal calendars, I'll stick with my blackberry (where the battery lasts, I get 3G performance, and I can tether to my laptop).

Ken