First iPhone 3G reviews via the WSJ, USA Today and NY Times

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Then instead of the charger, one could buy one of the portable charging batteries that are sold. It's not much more than having another battery, and while it's a bit less convenient, they carry more charge than a phone battery does. Your phone can be attached to it while you're not using it to recharge it during the day or night.

If you think image conscious Apple users want to carry the battery equivalent of an adult diaper, that is all good and fine.

Quote:

As for the stores, while I haven't seen all of them from the carriers, compared to what I have seen, iTunes is far better. I see no advantage to the "mixing" of the apps as you call it.

iTunes requires you to hook up to your computer. I'm talking about buying from the phone and in that instance, I'm sure all will be pretty close to equal. I also gave an example of mixing apps. AT&T already has a turn by turn navigation system and software available. Apple will not give access to it with the iPhone.

Quote:

As for your statement that the other stores from the carriers " often already come with much of the software anyone would need.", that is a very narrow viewpoint. How do you know what software others want, or need?

It's been said that there isn't nearly as much software for the Mac as for the PC, so the Mac isn't viable. But, it's as much WHAT is available as how much is availablethat matters.

I can get tons of software for my Treo, but much of it isn't very good, though some of it is very good indeed. We'll have to see how software for the iPhone/itouch works out, which will take a good year.

I think you make my point for me. Tons of software doesn't guarantee good software. Most of what people need is already provided for free and it is in the interest of the carrier to continue to upgrade and improve that software while insuring it is of good quality. If the third pary developers don't do a good job, they don't sell but if they do, the cell provider can offer it just as easily as Apple can.
  • Reply 82 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

AT&T already has a turn by turn navigation system and software available. Apple will not give access to it with the iPhone.

Let me be the first to introduce you to OS X iPhone. It's a new OS for Apple's iPhone and iPod Touch line. This OS does not run on any other AT&T phone so AT&T cannot have turn-by-turn navigation software available for it, unless you are implying that AT&T has ported their app to OS X.
  • Reply 83 of 87
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

If you think image conscious Apple users want to carry the battery equivalent of an adult diaper, that is all good and fine.

Well, since these things have been selling well since shortly after the iPods first came out, I have to say that you are wrong. People have been buying them for their iPhones as well. For you, it might not be the right thing, but for many others, it is.

Quote:

iTunes requires you to hook up to your computer. I'm talking about buying from the phone and in that instance, I'm sure all will be pretty close to equal. I also gave an example of mixing apps. AT&T already has a turn by turn navigation system and software available. Apple will not give access to it with the iPhone.

That's also incorrect. You can buy music directly on your iPhone, iTouch. The same is true of Tv shows, I believe, I don't know about movies, but who in their right mind would want to do that? You just needed WiFi to do it. Bot, you can do it over 3G as well, at least for music. Tv shows are a bit too big for that.

Software up to 10Mb can be bought directly from your iPhone/iTouch as well.

I don't know where you get your ideas from. This has been well publicized.

As for the turn by turn, WOW, one applcation that MAY not pan out. Well, I quess the phone is a failure, and Apple should pack it in!

Quote:

I think you make my point for me. Tons of software doesn't guarantee good software. Most of what people need is already provided for free and it is in the interest of the carrier to continue to upgrade and improve that software while insuring it is of good quality. If the third pary developers don't do a good job, they don't sell but if they do, the cell provider can offer it just as easily as Apple can.

I'm not making any point for you. you misunderstand the point I am making. It's that Apple will have a lot of unique software available that no one else can duplicate, both because of the hardware and the software in the form of the OS and development kit.

Much of this software could be superior to what can be done for other phones. But, we'll need about a year to really see a big enough selection to know if many developers are taking advantage of the capabilities.
  • Reply 84 of 87
    Quote:

I also gave an example of mixing apps. AT&T already has a turn by turn navigation system and software available. Apple will not give access to it with the iPhone.

I found an article that has an abbreviated interview with Greg Joswaik, the head of Apple products. In it, he answers a question about the driving instruction issue. It seems that some incorrect information is floating around, which you are subject to.

http://www.appscout.com/2008/07/appl...ps_cut_and.php
  • Reply 85 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I found an article that has an abbreviated interview with Greg Joswaik, the head of Apple products. In it, he answers a question about the driving instruction issue. It seems that some incorrect information is floating around, which you are subject to.

http://www.appscout.com/2008/07/appl...ps_cut_and.php

Nice find! I was believing Pogue about the GPS antenna being to small for accurte turn-by-turn instructions.
  • Reply 86 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nice find! I was believing Pogue about the GPS antenna being to small for accurte turn-by-turn instructions.

It didn't make sense to me either, given that some of the cheaper GPS models used in cars are even smaller than the iPhone. I thought that Apple must have put an antenna in that was smaller than usual, because the phone was so crowded inside.

Happily, that just seems to be some misunderstanding by Poque.
  • Reply 87 of 87
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Old iPod accessories meant to charge over Firewire circuitry (such as a Belkin car kit) don't work; iPhone 3G still only recognizes USB.

Has anyone seen anything that looks into the reasons for this?

I thought that the both the USB and Firewire dock cables used the same pins for power, just different pins for data.

I really can't think of a reason to disable charging with a firewire cable other than to get people to buy new devices.