Notes from our experience activating an iPhone 3G at Apple retail

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
We stood in line at a local Apple retail store early this morning to experience the first-day iPhone 3G launch and new activation process. What follows is a comprehensive set of notes covering the process for those customers who'll be picking up their new iPhone later today, this weekend, or sometime thereafter.

We arrived at our local Apple retail store a little after 6:00 a.m. and we surprised to find only about 50 customers ahead of us. But by the time the store opened at 8:00 a.m., the line had swelled to several hundred.

Preparing to enter the Apple store

During the two-hour wait, several employees made their way up and down the line, handing out waters, pouring Starbucks coffees from huge canisters, conveying the information that customers would need upon entering the store, and occasionally handing out information pamphlets (which seemed to be in limited supply).

Customers who were subscribed to an existing AT&T FamilyTalk plan but were not that primary account holder were told that they would be unable to upgrade to a new iPhone 3G on that plan without the primary account holder being present. The explanation for this was that adding an iPhone 3G to an existing FamilyTalk plan actually alters the contract, and hence the primary account holder needed to be present. This was upsetting for a number of folks whose primary account holders happened to be hundreds of miles away in a different state.

Customers making the switch to AT&T alongside their iPhone 3G purchase needed to have their current wireless account number and password, their full social security number, a government-issued photo ID, and a credit card. Existing AT&T subscribers and iPhone owners only needed to present the last four digits of their social security number, their existing AT&T mobile number, a government-issued photo ID, and a credit card.

There were several customers on line who did not have credit cards and instead had only cash. Apple appeared well prepared for this situation -- as those customers reached the front of the line, employees ushered them to the front-of-store cash wrap stations to purchase Apple Store Gift Cards with their cash, which could then be used to purchase the iPhone 3G. In fact, Apple had stacks of "iPhone 3G Gift Cards" for this purpose and for customers who wanted to give the gift of iPhone 3G to a friend or family member that could not attend the launch.

The three lines

Having arrived two hours early at one of the larger New York Apple retail stores outside of New York City, we found the process to be quite painless. The same, however, may not be true for those customers who arrived much later and were hundreds deep in the line when we walked out of the store around 8:55 a.m. with our new iPhones.

At 8:00 am sharp, the store opened and about 40 customers were immediately ushered into the store. Every 10 to 15 minutes later another 15 or so customers were able to make their way in. Having arrived early, we were amongst the second group of folks to enter the store. The line to get into the Apple retail store was just the first of three, however.

Once in the store, we were directed to wait on a second line that funneled towards that back of the store. After about 20 minutes, we arrived at the front of that line and were greeted by an Apple retail employee who fetched the specific iPhone models we requested and then took us to a side table to begin the upgrade process.

Side note: European customers wondering where Apple dumped the majority of its initial iPhone 3G inventory should look no further than the United States. The mid-sized Apple store we attended had hundreds of units stacked near the rear of the store, and from conversations with staffers it was revealed that thousands more lay in the back of the house. There were plenty of black 8GB and 16GB models, as well as a visible mound of white 16GB models. Employees seemed overly confident that they'd make it through day, if not the weekend, without any problems. This, however, may not be the case for every Apple store.

Once our 16GB iPhones were retrieved, we were taken aside to begin the upgrade process which was conducted entirely through the use of Apple's handheld EasyPay devices, as we noted last week. With the iPhones still sealed, the retail employee scanned a few of the bar codes from the back of the boxes, input some information from our drivers licenses, asked for the last four digits of our social security numbers (since we were upgrading, not new to AT&T), and then asked that we provide our current mobile telephone numbers.

Next came the plan selection. Being existing iPhone AT&T customers, we were told we could not alter the number of minutes in our calling plan in the store and would instead have to call AT&T to take care of that. No big deal. We were, however, able to change our text message plans. During this process we were asked to agree to two sets of terms and provide our signature twice on the EasyPay's touch screen. In less than five minutes, our receipts for the iPhones were printed (as well as emailed to the email addresses we provided).

From there, it was on to the third and final line: waiting for a free Mac running running iTunes so that we could tether our new phones and activate them. After about 10 more minutes, we reached the front of this line with our iPhones still sealed in their retail packages. Apple, while mandating that no iPhones leave the store without being activated, still wants customers to have the experience of unboxing their new handset for the first time by themselves. This takes place when you reach the front of the iTunes activation line (if you hadn't unboxed the phone already while you were waiting).

After connecting our new iPhones to a computer running what appeared to be a standard version of iTunes, we waited for about 5 to 7 more minutes while iTunes connected to Apple's servers and authorized our new handsets. This took much longer than expected and there was some discussion going on amongst the store employees that actual iTunes activation had slowed considerably since the first batch of customers activate their devices 35 minutes earlier. This was likely a result of a massive digital queue where thousands upon thousands of new iPhones 3Gs all across the East Coast were all attempting to connect to Apple's iTunes servers simultaneously. To remedy this problem, employees began setting up additional iTunes activation stations so the line would continue to move.

Side note: while AT&T stores are using a modified iTunes activation application, the version of iTunes used to activate our new iPhone 3Gs appeared to be a standard distribution. Unless Apple's iTunes servers are specifically checking for activation requests coming from Apple-owned networks and IPs, there seems to be no reason why the actual activation could not be completed at home.

After about 7 minutes, the iTunes clients tethered to our new iPhones finally got through to Apple's servers, a 3G icon popped up in the menubar of the phones, and we were good to go and leave the store. From start to finish, the entire process took about 35 to 40 minutes.

Upon leaving the store, we noticed that the flow of the line had slowed considerably (likely a result of the slow responses from Apple's iTunes server near the end of the buying process). Several hundred folks remained on line outside the store and it seemed as if they'd have to grab a late lunch by the time their purchases were complete.

As demand dies down, the process should be much quicker. By our estimations, customers should be able to walk into an Apple Store this time next week and be out in under 15 minutes with their new phone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    This is very accurate, our experience here in Austin was much the same. The store was very quiet once you get in, sort of an odd museum feeling. The AT&T staff know what they were doing, the flow was very good.

One kink, the iTunes site was down for them, so they just sent us with the phone and was told to activate at home. Still waiting on the store to not error out.
  • Reply 2 of 82
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...We arrived at our local Apple retail store a little after 6:00 a.m..... (opened at 8:00 a.m.)

...From start to finish, the entire process took about 35 to 40 minutes.

You mean almost 3 hours. Ugh...

Even when there's no wait during the next week or so, hopefully they'll have the iTunes issue sorted out so it won't take 35 to 40 minutes. Customers should simply be able to activate it at home. It's lame enough that people who really want the iPhone have no choice in mobile carriers.
  • Reply 3 of 82
    So this means that in Apple Stores in the US you could upgrade. You couldn't do that in the UK. That's so annoying. The Apple Store near me had lots of stock and crucially, the white 16GB model.... but I wasn't allowed to upgrade there. O2 stores had hardly any 16GBs at all and the white certainly not.

BOOO!

Glad it's better in the US though
  • Reply 5 of 82
    Have to buy a gift card with cash? WTF? Line after line? Have to connect to iTunes to finalize?

What a convoluted process.
  • Reply 6 of 82
    Rolled into my local (Akron, OH) ATT store around 11:30a... no line! no iPhones! They happily took my money and will send more in 5-7 days? They said they only had 40!?!? Oh well.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    gilwavegilwave Posts: 20member
    waiting since 10:00 am EST for iTunes not to error out on a 2.0 upgrade to a 4GB 2G iPhone...

...and at 1:28 pm I was finally able to connect and get re-activated - phew!!
  • Reply 8 of 82
    You stood in [the] line (in line), not inline.
  • Reply 9 of 82
    I went to my AT&T store to pickup my iPhone 16GB black this morning and it was not nearly as difficult. I got in line at 6:30 and was 11th in line (small town of about 20,000 ppl). The store said they only had roughly 30 units total though. I am on a family talk plan and am not primary account holder, but I was never asked about it regardless. I got in, they took my SIM from my 1st generation iPhone and put it into the new iPhone, and I walked out after paying. Activation took about 1-2 minutes at 8:20 EST. They did not ask for identification, SSN, or anything, just my phone number. I suppose I could have given them someone else's phone number and prolly got off with the phone charging someone else's account. Either way, the security at the AT&T stores was nowhere near as high as Apple stores...anyone else have similar experience at AT&T stores?
  • Reply 10 of 82
    Kasper -

Not sure how big your operation is, but it really would have been helpful to have some of this information while I was standing in line, or a place to post comments.

I really don't think you personally going out and getting an iPhone and having the site dark while we could have used some info from your group and a place to discuss it (about the activation issues, etc.) was a good idea.

Just my 2 cents. There is too much going on today with MobileMe still down, the 2.0 activations not working since there is no way to get to iTunes, etc.

Believe it or not, your site has become the place to go to for information that Apple is not giving, and you have essentially decided to be the alternate "mouthpiece".

Very disappointed to have no info or news while waiting in line - would have saved me a TON of time.

Regardless, keep up the good work on a rough week.

JAW
  • Reply 11 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In less than five minutes, our receipts for the iPhones were printed (as well as emailed to the email addresses we provided).

From there, it was on to the third and final line: waiting for a free Mac running running iTunes so that we could tether our new phones and activate them.

It sounds like you could have just walked out after the second line. In other words, it seems like there's no point in waiting in line to activate it if it's just doing it through iTunes. Mights as well go home and do it.

Once you've paid and they've printed the receipt and handed it to you, the phone is yours, so it's not as if they can stop you.
  • Reply 12 of 82
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

You stood in [the] line (in line), not inline.

Thanks for clearing that up. You saved everyone hours of confusion trying to figure out what was meant.
  • Reply 13 of 82
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzomedici View Post

Have to buy a gift card with cash? WTF? Line after line? Have to connect to iTunes to finalize? What a convoluted fucked up process.

Anyone foolish enough nowadays to go into a store with a big wad of cash to buy a multi-hundred dollar item (or almost anything more than $10), is living in the past. Why would anyone other than a drug dealer, pimp, or iPhone re-seller want to pay in cash? You have to give your credit card number to access iTunes anyway, and you have to give your SIN number to get a contract for the phone.

I bet these cash purchasers also wear those old fashioned "watches" on their wrists, and listen to "radios" as well.

BTW - connecting to iTunes has always been part of the process. The only different part is the fact that they now make you do it in the store.

(which I agree is an unnecessary and stupid addition).
  • Reply 14 of 82
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Makes me glad I upgraded to 2.0 yesterday. The App Store alone is worth the wait though. Just wish it had more utilities for geeks.
  • Reply 15 of 82
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    looks like bad planning from Apple heck that shows iPhone 3G in high demand as well... wait for few days everything should be fine ... IT glitches is not something new ... i guess this is high profile launch in different countries around the world ...
  • Reply 16 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melevittfl View Post

Once you've paid and they've printed the receipt and handed it to you, the phone is yours, so it's not as if they can stop you.

That is a very good and valid point. Once you've tendered payment, had the payment received, and taken possession of your merchandise, you are free to leave the store. And activate at home.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    joe40joe40 Posts: 3member
    I have an iPhone GoPhone Prepaid Plan. I was unable to buy a 3G iPhone at the Apple Store after waiting online. AT&T will not permit Apple to 'convert' GoPhone Prepaid accounts to regular post-paid accounts. It must be done at the AT&T store. All of the AT&T Stores in the Northern NJ metro area appear to be sold out, I called about 12 stores with an AT&T rep on the line with me. The Apple Store at Tice's Corner Woodcliff Lake, NJ seemed to have loads of phones in stock. The line was at least 200 people long from about 7:30 AM. The activations were taking a long time and while I was there from 10AM past 12Noon, people who were at the front of the line were still not even in the store. I did see the 3 lines routine as well. They were also unwilling/unable to sell me a phone that I could take over to an AT&T store to do the conversion from an iPhone GoPhone Prepaid Plan to a regular post-paid account. This can only be done in-person at an AT&T store. Nowhere online at Apple.com or AT&T's site was there any indication of this. Had I known, I would have gone to an AT&T store really early, knowing they would have less stock than the Apple Stores, but also knowing that was the only place it could be done. I was told by AT&T that the iPhone 3G cannot be used with a GoPhone Prepaid Plan, even if it is a new account. If someone fails the credit check, they can still get the phone, but they will need to give a $500 deposit.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicholas_hagen View Post

I went to my AT&T store to pickup my iPhone 16GB black this morning and it was not nearly as difficult. I got in line at 6:30 and was 11th in line (small town of about 20,000 ppl). The store said they only had roughly 30 units total though. I am on a family talk plan and am not primary account holder, but I was never asked about it regardless. I got in, they took my SIM from my 1st generation iPhone and put it into the new iPhone, and I walked out after paying. Activation took about 1-2 minutes at 8:20 EST. They did not ask for identification, SSN, or anything, just my phone number. I suppose I could have given them someone else's phone number and prolly got off with the phone charging someone else's account. Either way, the security at the AT&T stores was nowhere near as high as Apple stores...anyone else have similar experience at AT&T stores?

I was fourth in line when the AT&T store opened at 8:00. Since I was previously a Verizon customer, I wanted to port my number to my new iPhone. They tried and tried and were unable to port my number. After about three hours, they got authority to issue me a temporary number with instructions to take the phone home, call 888-898-7685 and ask them to port my old number before trying to connect to iTunes to activate my phone (by this point the AT&T store was unable to connect to iTunes to activate phones). After multiple phone calls to the 888 number and talking to three or four different customer service reps, I was told that they could not port my old number until my phone was activated on iTunes. The only problem, the iTunes server was totally unavailable to connect to. Went back to the AT&T store and relayed what I had been told. By this time it was 1PM and they said they could not activate my phone because they still couldn't get into iTunes. It is now 1:30 PM on Friday and I am at home trying to access iTunes to activate my phone so I can then get AT&T to port over my Verizon number. What a mess! Very poor planning went into this launch of the new IPhone G3!
  • Reply 19 of 82
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    The ironic thing is I installed the 2.0 software yesterday and it was working perfectly. I even grabbed a few apps and was having a blast. But I figured that it must have been a developers build and I wanted the real experience. Well, this morning, I restored my iPhone to factory conditions and BANG! I finally have it where I can make calls and I have the 2.0 software on it again. The problem is that it will not sync with Apple right now and I can't get my apps and all my stuff. Let this be a lesson to all you happy 2.0 people from yesterday. It is the exact same build. You do have the real experience.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    Greetings! Living in a small town in North Carolina and not having an Apple Store, I went to an AT&T Store to get a new iPhone 3G. I arrived at 7 am not knowing what to expect and was pleasantly surprised to find that I was about 35th in a relatively short line. Good news indeed. The Store opened promptly at 8 am and the Store Clerks ushered about 10 or 12 people inside. I felt good about the situation at this point; however, my good feelings were not to be long lasting. Unfortunately, the combination of ill-prepared customers, apparently without all the information etc, and some glitches in the purchasing and activation processes caused some serious delays. It was actually about 9:45 am when I finally stood at the open door and was ushered inside. Whew. But alas this brief, fleeting moment of happiness was quickly displaced as I was told that the iTunes Store was down! So, I could pay for and receive my 16GB Black iPhone 3G but AT&T could not activate it now; I would have to activate it at home. Not bad, I guess. However, to finalize the purchase of the new iPhone, they had to deactivate my old iPhone. So, now I don't have any phone service! It's 10 am on a busy Friday morning and I don't have phone service. Ugh. And it gets worse: I went straight home and plugged in the new iPhone into my MacBook Pro. Ugh. Not only is iTunes Store down, it's generating an error code. In the midst of this storm, I decided to take a break from all this; I left my new iPhone plugged to the MBP and open in iTunes. Went about my business, ate some late breakfast, did some work at home, made some calls on the ol' landline home phone; waited some more and then I hear a neat, most welcome sound and look and there is an activated iPhone 3G! Praise God! Somehow, some way the phone activation went through, though the iTunes Store was still down...hmmmm? Indeed I still have not been able to sync my iPhone 3G in iTunes to load all my contacts, music etc. But my new iPhone 3G is up and running and is awesome!