Early iPhone 3G adopters bothered by yellow-tinted screens

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A number early iPhone 3G adopters are finding that their new phone's display is much warmer, or yellow-tinted, compared to the displays of the original iPhone and have begun lodging complaints.

Photos of the two phones side-by-side (submitted by AppleInsider reader Naoman) clearly show a visible difference. Compared to the iPhone 3G, the original iPhone's display appears much cooler due to its blue tint.

Given a choice, many users are saying they prefer the original iPhone's display over the one shipping on the iPhone 3G, though oddly Apple has said that both generations of iPhones use the same exact display.

Therefore, it's unclear if Apple will be able to make changes to the new phone's display calibration through a firmware update, or if the problem is embedded in the hardware. A number of early purchasers say they are going to attempt to swap their phones in hopes of landing one with a whiter display, though it's uncertain at this time whether Apple will entertain these requests or whether it considers the yellow tinted screens to be of issue.

In the meantime, some users note that cranking up the brightness of the iPhone 3G's display makes the yellow tint somewhat less noticeable, but at the same time this produces piercingly bright images.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That would appear to be plastic discoloration, not the display.

Oh, and speaking of a nation of whiners...
  • Reply 2 of 50
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Yuck. Not sure if urine-colored iPhones are more appealing than poo-colored Zunes, but they're definitely a close tie.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    my screen seems fine! camera has a yellow tint to it though, might be the light in my lounge or the poor camera?
  • Reply 4 of 50
    Well, it has been proven that yellow is much easier on the eyes than pure white. Apple is simply looking out for our best interests.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    Is it possible that it's a color profile issue?
  • Reply 6 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDRC View Post

my screen seems fine! camera has a yellow tint to it though, might be the light in my lounge or the poor camera?

Perhaps the real answer is that these iPhones have been waiting in the wings for months and their plastic has yellowed with age. THAT'S why there has been nary an improvement in the hardware!
  • Reply 7 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SS3 GokouX View Post

• Reply 8 of 50
    lerymanleryman Posts: 8member
    That "yellow" looks similar to my new iMac sitting beside my Cinema HD ... kinda yellowish.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    I got one with a bad volume button (16GB-BLK) and took it into the store. I also noticed that the screen looked different than my original iPhone (8GB). In addition the the yellow tint, the new screen has differences in contrast.

I compared my 1st gen iPhone to about 10 of the 3G phones. They all looked like they had the slight tint and contrast difference. I'd be interested to know if anyone got a "good one". At first I was worried about the whole iPod touch screen problem making a resurgence.

At 75% brightness the tint is only noticeable when next to a 1st gen phone. There is nothing "wrong" with the new one - just different.

Apple was happy to replace my phone. Overall, the new screen seems a little more vivid. Looking at notes on the old and the new, the new looks a lot better. Also, I find photos do as well.

One final thought - is it possible that al the 1st gen phones have faded over time?

-J
  • Reply 10 of 50
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jr0ckett View Post

Well, it has been proven that yellow is much easier on the eyes than pure white. Apple is simply looking out for our best interests.

• Reply 11 of 50
    coxyukcoxyuk Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SS3 GokouX View Post

Yes. It appears they have selected a different colour temperature from the 6,600k of the original which gives it a warmer colour. The original is a little too cool, the new one a little too warm so maybe an update will get it right
  • Reply 12 of 50
    This is stupid.

If the Yellow-ish displays came out 1st on the 1st Gen, then the new iPhone had the blue tinge, people would still be uncomfortable that it was different, and would still be complaining.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    I don't even see any yellow.
  • Reply 14 of 50
  • Reply 15 of 50
    Look here, it appears there's a firmware update.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    it's the price to pay for being an early adopter, but they do have the right to get one in perfect conditions. these are not cheap toys. the screen looks real washed out in the picture though, with the increased brightness. i do not see any yellow.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    kglee79kglee79 Posts: 3member
    I have a 16GB 3G iPhone and my wife has the 8GB 3G iPhone that we picked up this morning. Hers has the cool white look and mine is noticeably yellower than hers. Both are on version 5A345. So I do no believe the issue is a software/firmware one, but rather a display hardware issue.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kglee79 View Post

I have a 16GB 3G iPhone and my wife has the 8GB 3G iPhone that we picked up this morning. Hers has the cool white look and mine is noticeably yellower than hers. Both are on version 5A345. So I do no believe the issue is a software/firmware one, but rather a display hardware issue.

From the link:

Just plug in your iphone to Itunes, then Run the "RESTORE" and it will update to the newer firmware (5A347).

So why don't you update your phone to 5A347 and let us all know if it's still yellow? Good call? Good call. Cheers.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    never buy products on launch. it's always a stupid idea. when will people learn? never mind wasting your life away in a line just so you can get a stupid phone a week earlier.

seriously, it's really simple, just pretend to yourself that the product you want isn't coming out for another month. then go buy it a month later. it will make no difference to your life.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    The Samsung Instinct's display doesn't have these issues. Although the phone does suck donkey balls.