Apple stores faced with iPhone 3G outages, lineups at day's end

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Does anybody have any idea when the iTouch will be sold bundled with 2.0?

Any does anybody else think it a bit odd that this full upgrade costs only $10 vs last January's $20 which was for so much less?

And is the upgrade for iTouch considered iPhone 2.0, iTouch 3.0 or what?
  • Reply 22 of 79
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Does anybody have any idea when the iTouch will be sold bundled with 2.0?

Any does anybody else think it a bit odd that this full upgrade costs only $10 vs last January's $20 which was for so much less?

And is the upgrade for iTouch considered iPhone 2.0, iTouch 3.0 or what?

Don't you mean the iPod Touch, right, or just the Touch? There's no such things as iTouch just like there's no such thing as iNano, iClassic and iShuffle.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Took three and a half hours at the boylston store in Boston. I'm not complaining it was my choice not to wait a couple days and I'm very happy with my new phone.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Because America is far too homophobic to use any word that begins with "que".

It may be that, but I always thought it was the strange spelling that freaked Americans out. 'Que' is how it ought to be spelled, right? 'Queue' is downright queer. Personally I could(n't) care less if people stand in line or if they queue up. I hate either, or both.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Don't you mean the iPod Touch, right, or just the Touch? There's no such things as iTouch just like there's no such thing as iNano, iClassic and iShuffle.

I think I mean iPod Touch? I mean- is there another product with an "i" and "touch" in it?

Actually I'm just a bad typist and tend to abbreviate or misspell (which drives the spelling bee queens on here mad as hell).
  • Reply 26 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It may be that, but I always thought it was the strange spelling that freaked Americans out. 'Que' is how it ought to be spelled, right? 'Queue' is downright queer. Personally I could(n't) care less if people stand in line or if they queue up. I hate either, or both.

Speaking of queer- I guess it also depends if you prefer (ske-jool) or (sche-jool)!
  • Reply 27 of 79
    Even if everything did not go exactly as planned, it was still very successful. No other company can get people to que up in line for hours in countries around the world. It is very important to Apple's image that it create the perception that its products are very desirable. "Did anyone wait in line to buy an LG or Samsung?"
  • Reply 28 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Even if everything did not go exactly as planned, it was still very successful. No other company can get people to que up in line for hours in countries around the world. It is very important to Apple's image that it create the perception that its products are very desirable. "Did anyone wait in line to buy an LG or Samsung?"

Communism had people lining up around the world every day for hours for food and look where that got 'em.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is Apple. And this is 2008.

As both a shareholder and consumer, I am deeply disappointed with SJ and crew that we could not purchase the new iPhone online. (Apart from everything else, it is irresponsible from the standpoint of customer-time wasted and GHG emitted).

Does anyone have any speculation as to whether/when Apple will make the online purchase option available?

When technology is common place where you're able to give your signature online. That being said they technically probably could sell the no-commitment iPhone at the $599 price online, but I don't see that happening.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

The problem would be if the long lines and the woes left a negative opinion of Apple in their minds.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Communism had people lining up around the world every day for hours for food and look where that got 'em.

Amusement parks have people lining up for 2 minute rides and look where it's getting them.

Just adding another pointless example to yours.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

Amusement parks have people lining up for 2 minute rides and look where it's getting them.

Just adding another pointless example to yours.

People queue not line up! Example - There's a long queue outside the Apple shop. I'm queuing outside the Apple shop to buy an iPhone, etc etc.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Yeah, I think overall Apple did a huge job of this launch. I haven't recalled any other company doing such a worldwide event.

What a crazy day....

The way I see it, they failed to provide a good customer experience for all of their major launches this week. The MobileMe transition was a mess, first gen iPhone users upgrading was a mess, purchasing and activating the 3G iPhone was a mess and before all that happened, they released a new version of iTunes that is bricking a lot of product (from what I read on macfixit and other sites).

Yes, it was a big (huge) job because it was worldwide but how is that an excuse? It seems like a cop out for a company to take on more than it can handle, then watching them fail at it and giving them a pass because it was such a "big event."

Simply put, they bit off more than they could chew and failed. Hopefully they will learn from this experience and not put themselves in this position again.

-Keith
  • Reply 34 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by odinstudios View Post

Our store staff agreed to stay until everyone in line had an iPhone. Our line throughout the day easily topped 200. We were to close at 11pm, and at 1am we still had people in line. By 1:30 the AT&T server shut down and we could not complete any transactions. Mall security had also been threatening us past midnight.

My last customer waited 10+ hours for a phone before AT&T shut down the transaction server. I have never been more embarrassed to work at Apple.

Good for you odinstudios. Thanks for that post.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alex_g View Post

I'm pretty sure you won't be working for Apple much longer if you posting on here, I'm just sayin

What a snarky comment.

Apple would be stupid to let go of employees like odinstudios. If they did, it would be Apple's loss.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

When technology is common place where you're able to give your signature online.

If a state government agency from 2800 miles away can verify my identity online and allow me to order multiple copies of my kids' birth certificates (I needed to replace them since I misplaced in the move) and fedex it to me, I am sure the technology exists, and is probably not rocket science.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Apple will not have an online purchase option considering that they have to be activated in store. Apple's thought process is that this will lessen the jailbreaking of iPhones and shipments of jailbroken ones overseas. Personally, let it be bought online. If a human mind put it together, a human mind will take it apart.

I think the in store activation is kind of bizarre. When I bought phones in the past, I was able to go home to activate. I did have to sign a contract at the store, but I had the option to call in from home to finish the connection.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

When technology is common place where you're able to give your signature online. That being said they technically probably could sell the no-commitment iPhone at the $599 price online, but I don't see that happening.

I don't see the problem here, I think courts have upheld a mouse click as a valid and enforceable means to accept a software EULA.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

People queue not line up! Example - There's a long queue outside the Apple shop. I'm queuing outside the Apple shop to buy an iPhone, etc etc.

You can call it queue if you want. Other people may call it a line, standing in line, on line, whatever. I think it's more than too late to complain. I'll just call it a FIFO.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    In Phoenix, AZ this morning, Saturday:

there was a queue at the ATT store on Camelback and 20th of about 10 people, and further up the road at 24th and Camelback there were at least 50 or more in line and growing.

unbelievable how slow that activation process must be. what a joke.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    alex_galex_g Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What a snarky comment.

Apple would be stupid to let go of employees like odinstudios. If they did, it would be Apple's loss.

I'm just sayin they aren't really fond of this kinda thing. I hear they pretty much make you come off forums like this. I mean I'm sure you can post incognito but to say your an employee of Apple that's like signing your pink slip.

And why would they be stupid for that? Because he feels bad? I'm pretty sure a lot of employees feel bad that they weren't able to help the people in the queue because they ran out/activation problems whatever, your making him sound like a diamond in the rough, I'm not hating on the guy I'm just saying he should watch himself from saying dumb shit like "I work for Apple, rumor/forum site" if you still want to be employed by Apple, there's no need for you to get on your knees (anantksundaram) and start blowing the guy. Just being a realist, is a post really worth your job?
  • Reply 40 of 79
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    So I went to the Apple store in Atlanta when it opened just to notice that there were around 500 people in line (queued - whatever). I asked one Apple employee if they have enough 16 GB black in stock so that if I wait in this horrendous line, it would be worth my while. He paused then said in a car salesman kind of way, "Oh don't you worry buddy! I'm gonna sell you a phone today!" and then he walked away. So not only did he not answer my question but pretty much talked at me like he was a robot. I thought the guy was a freak so I asked another Apple employee next to him the same question and, after a pause, he said, "Don't worry we got you covered" and gave me a look like "don't talk just stand in line." Something told me there's no way in hell they're gonna have a 16 GB black phone for me after I wait for the 500 peeps ahead of me, especially since that version is the most popular and also since I went to the AT&T store next door and they only had some white ones left.... So anyway SCREW THIS bullshit. Apple better get with it. They knew there was a huge demand ahead of time. And they should train their employees not to be fake-robot-car salesmen. I'd hate to be in SJ's shoes now.