Apple stores faced with iPhone 3G outages, lineups at day's end

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    I still don't have a phone. I will not be getting one anytime soon. People are in line and moving 50 ft in 2 1/2 hours? If you're a retailer, and your job description is getting product out the door, then you've failed.

That in-store activation -- 20+ minutes per phone -- was a very bad idea. And unnecessary. I still don't get why I can't walk in, say "16gig black iPhone please" and be out in 7 minutes. Why the need to be the retail police? Limit it to 1 phone per transaction, require a credit card, and call it good.

Basically, I'm left frustrated and angry. That's my customer-experience: frustration and anger. Kinda reminds me of -- when was that? -- right! -- when I owned and used a Window box. It's been a long time, but it's all coming back to me now.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    galoregalore Posts: 35member
    My experience at the Apple store in the Northpark mall in Dallas showed that Apple was in a dilemma between providing good customer service for people in the store vs. people still waiting in line.

There were maybe 50 people ahead of me and it took 2.5 hours to process them. Which means that this Apple store sells maybe 250 phones a day. Not very many... They still had all versions in stock this afternoon.

A big problem is with customers who aren't prepared or inconsiderate. I noticed one guy chatting with an Apple employee for 45 minutes after activation apparently expecting a personal tour of the iPhone..

The employees don't try to finish quickly but instead are super courteous at the expense of people waiting in line.

I didn't ask any questions and had my old account nr plus password ready and was out the door after 13 minutes total.
  • Reply 43 of 79
    Steve totally Ballmered this launch.
  • Reply 44 of 79
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alex_g View Post

I'm just sayin they aren't really fond of this kinda thing. I hear they pretty much make you come off forums like this. I mean I'm sure you can post incognito but to say your an employee of Apple that's like signing your pink slip.

And why would they be stupid for that? Because he feels bad? I'm pretty sure a lot of employees feel bad that they weren't able to help the people in the queue because they ran out/activation problems whatever, your making him sound like a diamond in the rough, I'm not hating on the guy I'm just saying he should watch himself from saying dumb shit like "I work for Apple, rumor/forum site" if you still want to be employed by Apple, there's no need for you to get on your knees (anantksundaram) and start blowing the guy. Just being a realist, is a post really worth your job?

Looks like stupidity is certainly not in short supply. Or perhaps it is the quality of your upbringing that is talking.

Just sayin'......
  • Reply 45 of 79
    "Apple stores faced with iPhone 3G outages, lineups at day's end"

Don't you mean shortages?
  • Reply 46 of 79
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    I must say that I find it all rather laughable. I don't understand why people feel so compelled to line up for hours on the first day to get ANYTHING, unless they live in a country where they're going to starve to death if they don't. Furthermore, almost any technology roll-out is going to suffer from glitches (be it Apple or any other company) and these are made more likely by increased load. Sure Apple has good advertising and builds a compelling product, but they didn't tell you to go wait in line for hours upon hours for their doors to open on launch day.

• Reply 47 of 79
    parksgmparksgm Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllNamesAreTaken View Post

If you're a retailer, and your job description is getting product out the door, then you've failed.

That in-store activation -- 20+ minutes per phone -- was a very bad idea. And unnecessary. I still don't get why I can't walk in, say "16gig black iPhone please" and be out in 7 minutes. Why the need to be the retail police? Limit it to 1 phone per transaction, require a credit card, and call it good.

That's because I don't think that Apple has any intention of "getting product out the door" as quickly as possible. Here's why: those who have decided to purchase an iPhone on the first day of availability and wait in a line to do so are VERY likely to purchase that iPhone regardless of how long they have to wait, or even if they have to come back the next day, or the day after. Apple knows this, and is probably willing to lose a very few sales to customers disgruntled by the wait in exchange for an enormous perception of demand for the iPhone created in the general public by day long lines wrapping around its stores.

Think about it...what do Americans truly wait in line for anymore? The mere presence of a line for a retail product to an American consumer signifies incredible demand for that product. The more perceived demand for the iPhone, the "cooler" having one appears to Joe Public, and the more Joe Public begins to want one for himself. What better way to display that demand than with ridiculously long lines in high traffic, high end retail areas...which is where most Apple stores are located? The perception of a consumer driving by and witnessing such a spectacle is likely to be that hoardes of affluent, successful people, with the means to buy whatever product they want, are willing to spend large amounts of their time in line...therefore the product MUST meet or exceed expectation. I think the Nintendo Wii, the XBox 360 launch, and the PS3 and 2 launches all exhibited similar phenomenon in buliding buzz and serving as free advertising for the product, though perhaps to a lesser extent.

I think that this was more about brand positioning and product positioning than any absolute need of Apple to activate the iPhone instore for financial/protection reasons.
  • Reply 48 of 79
    thor79thor79 Posts: 8member
    Oakbrook and Schaumburg are out of 16GB Black.

Seems Apple underestimated the number of 16GB Black iPhones they needed...since that seems to be THE model they keep running out of.

Going to be at least Monday before I get mine.

Apple has done a really crappy job with this launch on all aspects. The vast majority of people went to AT&T stores. The vast majority of AT&T stores? Had no where near enough to fulfill demand. The only reason why people are still lining up outside Apple stores is because AT&T stores didn't have any...getting shipped 20 or 40 at a time to try to server 100-200 people per store...what a freaking joke. Now Apple stores are running out. They wouldn't be running out if people at AT&T stores could actually get phones there.

The hoarding at Apple stores strategy is hurting them more than helping them now...since they are pissing off a lot of people trying to get the phone. I'm hoping most people are laying the blame where it belongs, with Apple, instead of AT&T...

Apple should have waited to launch it at least another couple of weeks if not another month...just to make enough to meet demand.
  • Reply 49 of 79
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    As a long time Apple customer this has been the worst week for a customer ever.

MobileMe: 3 days and counting to actually work as advertised for most users. This is 2008, there is no reason why there should have been this many problems.

iPhone 2.0 software: Servers crashing and delayed and pulled releases for the Touch? Sad.

New iPhone: Horrible, just horrible. They made it sound like everyone could buy a phone for 199. This wasn't the case. They could have helped this situation by stating very clearly "For qualified upgrade only and have a link "Click here, enter your phone number to see if you are qualified" This would have saved people time across the board. They wanted the line's to look long for the news letting people wait for hours without the knowledge that they would have to pay full price. Sad, almost as sad as those looser that waited on line for 12 hours.
  • Reply 50 of 79
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thor79 View Post

I'm hoping most people are laying the blame where it belongs, with Apple, instead of AT&T

No, I blame AT&T for forcing in-store activations . The first iPhone launch was awesome. The line moved fast, I was in and out of the store quickly, and everyone that wanted a phone on launch day could get one.

Compare that to right now. The Apple store had a 4 hour line all day yesterday, and currently has a 6 hour line. The line isn't tremendously long (maybe 150 people) it just that it takes so long to get people in and out.
  • Reply 51 of 79
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

No, I blame AT&T for forcing in-store activations . The first iPhone launch was awesome. The line moved fast, I was in and out of the store quickly, and everyone that wanted a phone on launch day could get one.

Compare that to right now. The Apple store had a 4 hour line all day yesterday, and currently has a 6 hour line. The line isn't tremendously long (maybe 150 people) it just that it takes so long to get people in and out.

Did AT&T crash Apple's servers?
  • Reply 52 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

Seems to me it was Apple that required in store activations or at least unbricking. Some stores (both Apple and AT&T) started to go to at home activations when they started to run into trouble with servers and such. So clearly it was a foolish thing Apple required. AT&T has never required in store activations for iPhones...my dad bought his in late May (and will be getting a free ugprade) from an AT&T store and activated at home.

AT&T is only at fault if they have more phones than they have distributed. If they are controlling the store supplies then they are screwing up as well. But with other carriers in the UK and Canada (among other places) running out quickly as well...I think we have to place the blame on Apple not providing enough to the carriers. Everything I look at points to Apple being at fault. I'm sure this is difficult to realize as an Apple fanboy...which I guess isn't a surprise considering the site I'm posting on, but look at the facts...Apple has clearly screwed the pooch big time here.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Apple should have waited to launch it at least another couple of weeks if not another month...just to make enough to meet demand.

Keep in mind that iPhone launched in 10+ countries this weekend. They might have been stockpiling them during some of the time that the original models weren't available.

I'm not really worried about it. I had ordered one at an AT&T store and hopefully I'll be able to pick it up in a week.
  • Reply 54 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Keep in mind that iPhone launched in 10+ countries this weekend. They might have been stockpiling them during some of the time that the original models weren't available.

I'm not really worried about it. I had ordered one at an AT&T store and hopefully I'll be able to pick it up in a week.

I'm going to be giving my AT&T store another try on Monday morning, and if I strike out there I'll give my two closest Apple stores a try (they are currently out of 16GB Black). If that fails I'll go order one at my AT&T store.
  • Reply 55 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

As a long time Apple customer this has been the worst week for a customer ever.

MobileMe: 3 days and counting to actually work as advertised for most users. This is 2008, there is no reason why there should have been this many problems.

iPhone 2.0 software: Servers crashing and delayed and pulled releases for the Touch? Sad.

New iPhone: Horrible, just horrible. They made it sound like everyone could buy a phone for 199. This wasn't the case. They could have helped this situation by stating very clearly "For qualified upgrade only and have a link "Click here, enter your phone number to see if you are qualified" This would have saved people time across the board. They wanted the line's to look long for the news letting people wait for hours without the knowledge that they would have to pay full price. Sad, almost as sad as those looser that waited on line for 12 hours.

'Nuff said.
  • Reply 56 of 79
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What a snarky comment.

Apple would be stupid to let go of employees like odinstudios. If they did, it would be Apple's loss.

Please.... Like you haven't heard the stories of people that work for Apple getting fired for much less than posting on a forum shining a negative light on the company. Snarky? I think his comment was serious and right on the money, they don't even allow Apple employees to post to their own forums.
  • Reply 57 of 79
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

For real? You couldn't call AT&T or log onto your AT&T account online days/weeks earlier to find out if you were upgrade eligible? I'm definitely not an Apple apologist, but on your last point, that's your fault not theirs.
  • Reply 58 of 79
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    OK, so here is what I really don't get now....

I went to the Washington Square Mall Apple Store (Portland) to pick up a few accessories this morning and consider purchasing one of the 30" displays for my office conference room.

I walk up to the front door and I am denied entry. Mind you, the store was 2/3 empty!

When I asked what's the deal, I was told it was "out of respect for the people in line to buy the iPhone." I then pointed out that I had already done that the night before. To my amazement, the Apple folks told me I would have to stand in the iPhone line again even if I was purchasing other items or products.

OK, so let's do the math.....

Apple profit for 30" display = $1800

Apple profit per iPhone = $300 to $350 (after AT&T kick back)

ARE THEY NUTS??
  • Reply 59 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Please.... Like you haven't heard the stories of people that work for Apple getting fired for much less than posting on a forum ....

Like......... I have.

You missed the point of my post if you think that's OK. (And, I say that as a shareholder of Apple).

People who express themselves are not necessarily stupid.
  • Reply 60 of 79
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Quote:

I'm going to be giving my AT&T store another try on Monday morning, and if I strike out there I'll give my two closest Apple stores a try (they are currently out of 16GB Black). If that fails I'll go order one at my AT&T store.

Um, you'll be going in a loop then... The mind control patrol has got you!