Jaguar Free? This rumor says so!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    the g5the g5 Posts: 42member
    [quote]Originally posted by graphiteman:

<strong>

OS X 10.0 and 10.1 were NOT public betas! What hardware are you running 10.1 on? OS X 10.1.5 runs perfectly fast on my iBook 500MHz with 384MB of RAM.</strong><hr></blockquote>

as fast as os 9.x? nope, didn't think so.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by r@ven:

<strong>All i want is a proper maximise button. Try maximise on a Microsoft box if you dare, and you'll instantly see what I mean.

I'm not asking people to switch to Microsoft. I just want some basic functionality.

[ 06-26-2002: Message edited by: r@ven ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

first you must understand the 'maximize' button. i'm not even sure if it's called that on macs. what it does is it expands the window to the width of the content. in essence, it's a 'smart' maximize.

anyway, when i first started using macs, i thought the same thing.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    [quote]as fast as os 9.x? nope, didn't think so. <hr></blockquote>

does os 9 do everything OSX does? nope didn't think so.

ps. hopefully jagwire will bring the speed of somethings up.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    bluejekyllbluejekyll Posts: 103member
    [quote]Originally posted by Franck:

<strong>

more over, it'a a memory hog: 512MB and still swapping.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Welcome to the world of Unix! Swapping is done all the time! Things get swapped out if they are determined to not have a high priority, or if they are just stopped for a while. i.e. waiting for IO or user input.

Every Unix box swaps, just because it is doesn't mean didly about your performance. That is not to say that physical memory is not important, it is. The more physical ram the better, but swapping is not a bad thing.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Inhale420:

<strong>

as fast as os 9.x? nope, didn't think so.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That in no way supports the arguement that 10 and 10.1 were public betas. btw- it took how long to get to 9.......?
  • Reply 26 of 48
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    oops misread last post.

[ 06-26-2002: Message edited by: keyboardf12 ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 48
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    If those are public beta, why did you install it?

It's annoying for an 'uneducated' person to think they know better then the creators.

The facts are simple, you either get it because it's at a price point you are willing to pay, or you don't. And that's how the economy goes around.

IF it's too slow, don't use it, go somehwere else. Whining and giving lame excuses just make your opinons sound even lower then it already is.

Giving things for free in this economy is not a smart thing or even a business thing. ALl that money people say is "staying alive money". And that's what most companies are thinking right now. You don't fight a all out war in the winter, you wait till spring.

~Kuku
  • Reply 28 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by keyboardf12:

<strong>

does os 9 do everything OSX does? nope didn't think so.

ps. hopefully jagwire will bring the speed of somethings up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

no it doesn't. there is a tradeoff, but my point is, if you really want to have a good experience with macs, get something say.. 733MHz and faster? then make sure os x is installed.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

That in no way supports the arguement that 10 and 10.1 were public betas. btw- it took how long to get to 9.......?</strong><hr></blockquote>

since from my reply it seems like i'm on your side, i don't know how to respond to this.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>

True, that. But no one is buying their hardware right now so...</strong><hr></blockquote>

True, but hopefully after MWNY there'll be hardware worth buying.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Oh, I think they have hardware worth buying now. It's just that in the near term it seems that if hardware sales are down, they might be more prone to charge user of current machines ofr the big upgrade. It's quite a balancing act, though.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    [quote]Originally posted by keyboardf12:

<strong>

does os 9 do everything OSX does? nope didn't think so.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, but neither does 9 do everything OSX does.

Frankly, I don't miss about 9 at this point. Having a nicely crash resistant system with a strong Unix layer for my CS PhD work, while retaining a pleasant UI and consumer oriented technologies, is worth gold to me.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    r@venr@ven Posts: 24member
    Mac OS maximise intelligent????????

I don't think so.....

As I've said before, I am sick of moving the dock out of the way to resize windows that sit behind it, and yes I've tried pushing maximise twice, but it still puts open windows/app windows behind the dock!!!!

Arrrrghhhh!!!!!
  • Reply 34 of 48
    One of the things I love about these forums is that wishful thinking so often modifies the phrasing of the thread names to sound like spam. "Jaguar free? This sentence says so!" Good for you, sentence.

Nonetheless, the faster people have 10.2, the less Apple has to spend on technical support for things like iBooks that won't wake up from sleep because of power-management errors. They have to pay shipping, have a technician fix the problem, then ship it back. The money they'll save on fixing computers with 10.0 or 10.1 installed will assure that 10.2 is free or inexpensive for users whose computers came with X installed.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    I had commented on the max button, but really this sort of nit-picking is pointless. Some people like it one way and some people like it the other way. Steve Jobs isn't going to come consult you about what your preference is for each element of the interface, and Bill Gates sure as sugar won't. If you're choosing an OS based on one button I hope you're not an elementary school teacher, and if you're just complaining, well, I guess that's one way to get a hack done. I prefer to relax and adjust to my new surroundings.

[ 06-27-2002: Message edited by: AllenChristopher ]</p>
  • Reply 36 of 48
    [quote]As I've said before, I am sick of moving the dock out of the way to resize windows that sit behind it, and yes I've tried pushing maximise twice, but it still puts open windows/app windows behind the dock!!!!<hr></blockquote>

I think that's an application issue. Mac OS X is fully capable of telling applications where the dock is so that the apps don't get stuck behind it; it's just a matter of whether the developer implements that feature. Demand that basic functionality from them.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    jethrojethro Posts: 34member
    [quote]Originally posted by r@ven:

<strong>Mac OS maximise intelligent????????

I don't think so.....

As I've said before, I am sick of moving the dock out of the way to resize windows that sit behind it, and yes I've tried pushing maximise twice, but it still puts open windows/app windows behind the dock!!!!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

You know, the funny thing is this isn't so much a window problem as it is a dock problem. The front-most window should be able to overlay the dock (with the caveat that if you moved the mouse onto the dock - or the side of the screen the dock is on - for some small time period it'd pop to the front). This would solve all of the dock / window problems and return the screen space that's currently being wasted.

Hiding the dock also works, but then you lose the informational capacity of the dock.

I don't know, maybe Apple has a lot of money invested in monitor companies.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Maybe Apple should have a new policy: $60-70 per OS CD. No upgrades, just full versions, but at $60-70.

And glove means that an individual has a licence for all of his/her computers, a corperation/school for ~$200 has a licence for all of their computers.

Apple's main income is not software. Cheaper, easy licenced software provides incentive for hardware sales.

Barto
  • Reply 39 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by Dead Member:

<strong>

I think that's an application issue. Mac OS X is fully capable of telling applications where the dock is so that the apps don't get stuck behind it; it's just a matter of whether the developer implements that feature. Demand that basic functionality from them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, developers don't even have to do anything. If they use the standard widgets and UI elements, then they don't even have to worry about it. Now if they stray from the path, then they have to start calculating that stuff on your own.

If you are using an App that maximizes to behind the dock, then it is that App's fault, not Apple's.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Personally I think it would be smart for Apple to release OSX 2 as a free upgrade!!! OSX hasn't been out all that long why should they charge money for it. I just bought my iBook and the last thing I want to do is pay to upgrade my OS. Apple gives away iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie for free so I don't see why they would have to charge for OSX2, they could have made a ton of money charging for stuff like iPhoto, iTunes, and iMovie even if they would have sold it for a low price of like 20$ which I think all of us would pay for. Any way that is how I see it.