Why the next case revision to the Powermac won't be white

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    [quote]Originally posted by Krassy:

<strong>but - it's apples style to use the same keyboard/ mouse with the iMac AND the pro line. so the design has to fit to these...</strong><hr></blockquote>

The old Pro Keyboard and Mouse were very neutral. They really didn't match either the iMac or the PowerMac.

However, the new keyboard and mouse DO match the iMac. So I'd expect Apple (in trying to keep their overhead down) to follow a similar design with the new PowerMac.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Saw this over at macrumors.com

[quote]Mac user is RIGHT!!!!

I don't know about Tokyo, but new G5 will come

before june this year at the latest!!

It will be in the BLACK housing, similar to G4, with silver "apples" on both sides, non-transparent black oval "handles" and chrome front end, housing three (3) front slots (unknown purpose) without speaker hole...

It will be delivered with 1 GB of RAM, 160 GB HD, Super Drive, 2 FireWire connectors, and processor speeds will be 1.2; 1.4; and 1.6 ghz

Source is anonymous...

(lives outside U.S)

<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 23 of 45
    If Apple wanted to keep overhead down, they wouldn't introduce a product that required a completely new motherboard that will never be used in another product. But they did (new iMac). If Apple wanted to keep overhead down, they wouldn't produce one product in 13 colors. But they did (old iMac). And each one had a matching keyboard and mouse.

Since when has Apple kept overhead down?

I don't think the color of the new iMac's keyboard and mouse will sway the designers at Apple to do anything at all to this and future PowerMac designs.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Silverlode ]

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Silverlode ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 45
    [quote]Originally posted by Silverlode:

<strong>If Apple wanted to keep overhead down, they wouldn't introduce a product that required a completely new motherboard that will never be used in another product. But they did (new iMac). If Apple wanted to keep overhead down, they wouldn't produce one product in 13 colors. But they did (old iMac). And each one had a matching keyboard and mouse.

I don't think the color of the new iMac's keyboard and mouse will sway the designers at Apple to do anything at all to this and future PowerMac designs.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Silverlode ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

With the old mouse and keyboard, the color was just snap-on pieces. IIRC, Apple only sold the iMacs in packs (ie. the retailers couldn't decide which colors they wanted). Thats why Best Buy stopped selling iMacs. They didn't want to carry all the colors.

And it is in Apple's best interest to keep overhead down. That's why they got rid of the 20 models 5 years ago. And they try to keep the same technology across Mobos. Hence the iMac uses the same RAM as the iBook and 550 TiBook.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]
    Quote:

Originally posted by Silverlode:

<strong>If Apple wanted to keep overhead down, they wouldn't introduce a product that required a completely new motherboard that will never be used in another product. But they did (new iMac). If Apple wanted to keep overhead down, they wouldn't produce one product in 13 colors. But they did (old iMac). And each one had a matching keyboard and mouse.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Silverlode ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sarcasim, right?

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: KidRed ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 45
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I hope Apple makes it gay hot pink chrome, that gets all fingerprint-y too, just to drive you people NUTS.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Those 20 different models weren't completely different machines, though. The performa 61xx was the same as the PowerMac 6100...same motherboard, same everything except just a sticker that goes on the front.

(OK, whose arguement am I supporting, here, anyway? Ahh, the hell with it....)
  • Reply 28 of 45
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member

Mr. Mockup Guy, you can put that on your website as well if you want, but I don't have a larger version.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    PLEAD STOP USING WHITE! ADD A COLOR TO THE IBOOK LINEUP. DON'T MAKE THE PM WHITE (unless you got a really cool design)....there is enough white in your products....don't overdue it
  • Reply 30 of 45
    sfvcpzsfvcpz Posts: 17member
    I actually think it will look alot like michael8000's mockup except it will have handles. Maybe some sort of recessed handle at the top of the front and the back.

I imagine a giant TiBook. Titanium shell (or some less expensive metal), soft curves and very minimalistic.

White will be the cosumer color.

Titanium will be the Pro Color.

And they'll never do Black.

We'll see a G5 before we see a black mac
  • Reply 31 of 45
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I like the mockups with the small Jaguar-like grill in front.

I don't think Steve will tell Jonathan to start from scratch again, like he did with the new iMac. ProUsers like consistency to a certain degree and it is hard to improve the basic tower case as it exists now...yeah, another big drive bay...

But if you were going to start from scratch and walked in Steve's garden and you already took the sunflower as your archtype for the iMac, where would you look for the PowerMac? The tool shed. You look in the garden for the organic iMac, you look in the tool shed for the utilitarian PowerMac.

So I think the new PowerMac will have the same basic form as a metal gasoline can! "It comes in bright Firehouse Red and Rusted Steel and has the power to burn."

Anyway I hope they keep have clear handles or accents so that it looks smaller than it really is.....and I hope it isn't white!!
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Benmac, youve got it. Add a deeper layer of gloss ,and fogg it slightly so that you cant make out what it looks like under the gloss and youd have an amazing looking case. Kind of... smokey... hmmm...
  • Reply 33 of 45
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    The Michael Matas design resurrected by BenMac is a good implementation of the promouse, which i thought WOULD rock, but now it looks not so cutting edge anymore (the new iMac really has changed my aesthetic more than I thought).

Now the "Ice Mac" looks kind of dated, like early '80's and I would expect it to emit loud breathing noises and try to tell say, "Luxo....I am your father!"
  • Reply 34 of 45
    [quote]Originally posted by Composer:

<strong>I'd be willing to risk a friendly wager that the new powermac will be black...</strong><hr></blockquote>

the problem with balck is that it is too harsh and garish ... looks like the soundblaster PC. white never goes out of fashion and is cleaner. hell they might go thru with the transparent plastic look. who knows? i don't think we can compete with jono ives. rock on!
  • Reply 35 of 45
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    [quote]Originally posted by Silverlode:

<strong>Ugh! Black would be nasty. Evil, kinda.</strong><hr></blockquote>

=)

Do it Apple, DO IT!
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Max8319, probably the reason that apple is making their product line white is because white is a neutral color. it doesn't clash with anything, so making it white look really nice against anything.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    [quote]Originally posted by zpeedracer1:

<strong>Max8319, probably the reason that apple is making their product line white is because white is a neutral color. it doesn't clash with anything, so making it white look really nice against anything.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Although I don't disagree that Apple might think that, I think thier products should STAND OUT. Color can be a part of that, although I think the fruit colors were too cute and almost obnoxious.

I think you have all missed Apple's hint as to what the next PowerMac will look like .... First a cube, now a sphere (although only half). Yep that's right ... a pyramid. They will explain the mysterious powers associated with the shape and it's strength as a structure as well as their durability and other marketing BS.

Playing the Devil's advocate here, I think back to the days when I was young and watched bands like Poison on MTV. Someone asked me why I thought they had all the lights and smoke and lazers and stuff. I said because the music was cool, and the bands are just partying and having fun. They replied "No, it's because it distracts you from noticing the band isn't that good at making music." I don't think any of us have heard anything from Poison in a while.

My point: There is nothing a mac can do these days that a PC can't, in fact the opposite is true in some cases. That hasn't always been the case. Apple needs to work on that to get converts or the only place you will see revolutionary Mac designs is at the museum.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    BTW Apple isn't likely to add more drive bays because they want you to have the DVD-R/CD-RW superdrive bought from them rather than you buying them as seperate drives. What else do people put in 5.25 bays anyway?
  • Reply 38 of 45
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    I'm tellin ya

dark glossy charcoal-grey - a la the current pro-mouse

I hope it has a red eye, too

HAL9000!
  • Reply 40 of 45
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    um, now that they have "crossed the line," i would not be surprised to start seeing CHROME?MIRRORED pieces on the imacs... heck it's the back of the ipod, the logo and arm of the new imac.

we're gonna have to all wear gloves to operate our computers, so sayeth The Steve.?