Apple plans mystery "product transition" before September's end

Comments

• Reply 141 of 735
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I agree totally... but with Apple's range of products it doesn't narrow it down much!

Exactly... I think I wrote in the other thread that Apple has so many products in so many markets, it's almost impossible to guess. I lied. Of course I'll guess. This is about one of two things (or both). Either:

1) Apple is lowering notebook prices (specifically the base Macbook prices) to be competitive with the rest of the computer industry

2) Apple is significantly increasing the capacity of flash devices (iPods and maybe also the Air) without increasing prices to match

Either of those moves, I think, make sense because while they would decrease margins they would also increase sales to compensate.
  • Reply 142 of 735
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    What do we know?

1. It has significant impact on earning, but not immediate revenue driver. That means the revenues are likely deferred.

2. It will shut off competitors, so it is not a Mac. Even if Apple lower the Mac price by half, it won't shut off PC competitors.

3. The hardware is not something completely new. Otherwise, it would go through the lengthy FCC approval process and we would have known about if if it is to be released this quarter. So it is not iPhone Nano (that was my theory, but I am changing my mind here) or handheld game console.

My conclusion - Apple TV, existing hardware with DVR software, and major contract with cable operators to use it as their digital cable box, free to the customers with 1-year contract. No revenue is recognized at sale, but the carrier subsidy is recognized over 12 months.
  • Reply 143 of 735
    hankx32hankx32 Posts: 121member
    Certainly its the iMac! Is there no better business friendly machine? Can't you just see a sea of iMacs in every office!

I see a $700 base iMac coming soon.
  • Reply 144 of 735
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Exactly... I think I wrote in the other thread that Apple has so many products in so many markets, it's almost impossible to guess. I lied. Of course I'll guess. This is about one of two things (or both). Either:

1) Apple is lowering notebook prices (specifically the base Macbook prices) to be competitive with the rest of the computer industry

2) Apple is significantly increasing the capacity of flash devices (iPods and maybe also the Air) without increasing prices to match

Either of those moves, I think, make sense because while they would decrease margins they would also increase sales to compensate.

"""" "During his quarterly financial results call, Apple's chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer revealed that the company will make a key "product transition" that cuts back on its profit margins to help shut out rivals." """""

-------------------

The key word here is that it's a "KEY" product transition.. How many "KEY" products does Apple have? Three. The Mac, iPod and iPhone.

The iPhone was just updated. We all know that the entire Mac line is not going to be updated by September, and even if it was and Apple cut Mac prices so that it's profit margin was down to zero, it would still not "shut out rivals."

It's the iPod line folks..
  • Reply 145 of 735
    What I would really like to see is the return of the iBook (a.k.a. Kindle killer).

A tablet/eBook reader that is attractively priced.

I think they may eliminate the hard drive based iPod classic and replace it with a flash version.

I think they will also revamp the iPod touch and make it more affordable.

It is in Apple's long term interest to build the platform.

At $299 the Touch is still priced above the mainstream.

If they can get the price down to $199 they will lose their margin on the sale but make it back on the sale of software, music and accessories.
  • Reply 146 of 735
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Time to get smaller fingers I guess?

Why?

We are not talking about the current 2" screen on the nano.. Remember the click wheel will be gone.. The entire surface would be a touch screen so that the current screen real estate would double.
  • Reply 147 of 735
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Thanks wobegon that clarifies it somewhat :-)

So overall, you think the AppleTV is already in a good place, and the product transition does not refer to the AppleTV?

Exactly. I did note in one of my earlier posts in this thread that Apple might add Netflix's Instant Watch digital movie and TV show catalog as an optional service Netflix subscribers could use. They could improve the service by making Netflix content browse-able from the couch, rather than requiring the user to set up an Instant Watch queue on Netflix's website on a computer, which is how both Netlix's Roku box and the Xbox 360's upcoming service works. This would put AppleTV in a league of its own among digital set-top-boxes (it's already in a league of its own; this would just put it even further ahead), but I don't see that being a big enough announcement. It wouldn't cut into their revenues either.

So if anything, it'll be announced as a "one more thing" or quietly released as a software update.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 5150 View Post

No, SJ wants to create new markets and experiences which he feels he can lock up with proprietary software.

I agreed with most of what you said, 5150, but this statement is not accurate. Apple promotes the use of open industry standards like AAC and MPEG-4 H.264 in iTunes. Shoot, most of Mac OS X is open - Unix, Darwin, etc. That's why Adobe's Flash and Microsoft's SilverLight proprietary runtime environments aren't on the iPhone or iPod touch and why they'll never be. They give too much control to these companies, who can then turn around and kill support for the Mac versions, or simply make them slower than the Windows versions. Flash, for instance, has only ever worked well on Windows because Adobe probably doesn't care about optimizing it for OS X. Same as the Mac versions of MS Office, though Microsoft likely has a vested interest in making Mac software that doesn't work well to promote the use of the Windows iterations, thus the Windows OS in general.
  • Reply 148 of 735
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

The key word here is that it's a "KEY" product transition.. How many "KEY" products does Apple have? Three. The Mac, iPod and iPhone.

The iPhone was just updated. We all know that the entire Mac line is not going to be updated by September, and even if it was and Apple cut Mac prices so that it's profit margin was down to zero, it would still not "shut out rivals."

It's the iPod line folks..

How about the iPod touch? Now that the iPhone is subsidized, it makes the touch look like a pretty bad deal at current prices. Of course I understand that you're paying a lot more for the iPhone over the course of its plan, but a typical consumer isn't going to look at that.

And if Apple knocks the 8GB touch down to (or below) $199, they can't sell the 8GB nano for the same price, so it gets a price cut, too.
  • Reply 149 of 735
    I think what apple found was people are browsing the web like crazy on their iPhones and iPod touch's. Because of this I think they will create a similar product but with a screen more fitted for web browsing. This product wont effect current product sales ,and will be for people like me who like to browse and read while lounging.

I also think they are very close to bringing all of your media together and accessible through out your whale house. update appleTV to send multiple audio and video streams, and an HDMI port on an airport express and with the remote app you can watch all your content on any tv in your house.

appleTV-airport express-amplifier-speakers

appleTV-airport express HDMI-reciever-TV

you can now have all your media all over your house and access it with the iPhone,iPod Touch,iPod web.
  • Reply 150 of 735
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wwrightstufff View Post

I think what apple found was people are browsing the web like crazy on their iPhones and iPod touch's. Because of this I think they will create a similar product but with a screen more fitted for web browsing. This product wont effect current product sales ,and will be for people like me who like to browse and read while lounging.

I also think they are very close to bringing all of your media together and accessible through out your whale house. update appleTV to send multiple audio and video streams, and an HDMI port on an airport express and with the remote app you can watch all your content on any tv in your house.

appleTV-airport express-amplifier-speakers

appleTV-airport express HDMI-reciever-TV

you can now have all your media all over your house and access it with the iPhone,iPod Touch,iPod web.

It is NOT GOING TO BE A NEW PRODUCT...

Read the article, it is going to be a "key product transition." No matter how slice and dice it, Apple tv, airport express amplifier speakers ARE NOT GOING TO AFFECT APPLE'S PROFIT MARGIN.
  • Reply 151 of 735
    Quote:

"""" "During his quarterly financial results call, Apple's chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer revealed that the company will make a key "product transition" that cuts back on its profit margins to help shut out rivals." """""

-------------------

THEORY: Portables accounted for 62% of Apple's sales in the most recent quarter. Many people want a portable but settle for a desktop because of price. Perhaps Apple's revamped portable lineup will sacrifice margins to drive sales. Apple can shut out rivals by selling even more notebooks.

13" MacBook $999

13" MacBook Air $1399

15" MacBook $1499

15" MacBook Pro $1799

17" MacBook $1999

17" MacBook Pro $2299

All have aluminum enclosures

Pro models have NVIDIA graphics chips

Pro models have illuminated keyboards

Pro models have multiTouch trackpads

Pro models have iSight HD

Pro models have FireWire 800

Pro models have an Express Card slot
  • Reply 152 of 735
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Its the 'touch' everything. Touch technology in every product. Basically it means the classic and nano ipods change interface, and the traditional apple keyboard becomes a 'dynamic touch keyboard' of some kind. Maybe fully, but probably a partial thing where the number pad becomes a touch interface much like the iphone. So no more mouse. The mouse becomes and optional extra.
  • Reply 153 of 735
    Quote:

And if Apple knocks the 8GB touch down to (or below) $199, they can't sell the 8GB nano for the same price, so it gets a price cut, too.

But try and look at the big picture for a second here.. Apple is building a brand new mobile platform with iPhone, OSX, PATENTED multi-touch technology, and the "App Store." 10million apps downloaded in it's first weekend, hugely successful. Developers are waiting in line to get in..

Now, The iPod nano, it is Apple's best selling mobile device by a wide margin.

Now, try and put the two pieces of the puzzle together..

Apple's brand new mobile platform + Apple's best selling mobile device ever.

Do you see the big picture yet?
  • Reply 154 of 735
    Quote:

It is NOT GOING TO BE A NEW PRODUCT...

Read the article, it is going to be a "key product transition." No matter how slice and dice it, Apple tv, airport express amplifier speakers ARE NOT GOING TO AFFECT APPLE'S PROFIT MARGIN.

wow read my post I read the article. I described what apple might come out with and added how I thought they might bring all their products together
  • Reply 155 of 735
    A computer in your pocket. Transitions the whole iPod line from a media player to a micro computer.

A full OS 10.5 (Snow Leopard) inside an iPod. A new docking solution which enables the iPod Touch "computer" to be linked to a full-size screen, keyboard, and mouse (the last two wirelessly). The iPod connects to the full-size screen through a specialized dock/stand which then connects to the screen through a DVI (Digital Visual Interface) connection.

The iPod Touch comes out in 3 form factors: Nano, Touch, and Folio (i.e. tablet). The distinction between media players, cell phones, and computers blurs.
  • Reply 156 of 735
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I can just see Jobs scrolling through this thread laughing his arse off.

'Oooh close but no cigar, but thanks for playing along...next!"

I was just thinking the same thing. As is seen with the iPhone 3G, Apple seems to be addressing users complaints. So maybe Steve is actually looking through Forums like these. On a different note, I hope he is either well or on the road to recovery. He has done so much for Apple and I would hate to loose him.

Steve
  • Reply 157 of 735
    Quote:

But try and look at the big picture for a second here.. Apple is building a brand new mobile platform with iPhone, OSX, PATENTED multi-touch technology, and the "App Store." 10million apps downloaded in it's first weekend, hugely successful. Developers are waiting in line to get in..

Now, The iPod nano, it is Apple's best selling mobile device by a wide margin.

Now, try and put the two pieces of the puzzle together..

Apple's brand new mobile platform + Apple's best selling mobile device ever.

Do you see the big picture yet?

If you're implying a multi-touch nano (or even an iPhone nano), I'm not sure how well that will work on a tiny screen. The iPhone's screen is about as small as it can possibly be for a touch keyboard.
  • Reply 158 of 735
    Quote:

If you're implying a multi-touch nano (or even an iPhone nano), I'm not sure how well that will work on a tiny screen. The iPhone's screen is about as small as it can possibly be for a touch keyboard.

Look at an iPod nano. Now remove the click wheel and imagine the entire front being a touch screen. When you double the nano screen real estate, It's not so small anymore.
  • Reply 159 of 735
    Quote:

Look at an iPod nano. Now remove the click wheel and imagine the entire front being a touch screen. When you double the nano screen real estate, It's not so small anymore.

Oh yes, it is. I've got fairly small thumbs... and I just don't see that happening.
  • Reply 160 of 735
    The new, unnamed product will continue to have "technologies and features that others can't match," according to the CFO.

Those words are very powerful.