Apple shares beaten late on concerns over CEO's health, guidance

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    @Foo2: I am not sure what your problem is with my comment?? If he had a curable form as previously reported by the company, then he is probably experiencing something related to his diet and side effects from the procedure, something I mention. However, if the cancer has returned, he could be very ill. Apple is more secretive than the Kremlin was, so unless you are his personal doctor, I am not sure how you can have a problem with an examination of the range of possible scenarios in the event Apple is not being totally upfront about his situation. I don't know how anyone could look at him at WWDC and not be concerned about his health.

This is some general info from USC Medical about Whipple and Pancreatic cancer:

Will the Whipple operation improve my survival?

The overall survival after the whipple operation for pancreatic adenocarcinoma is about 20% at five years after surgery. Patients without spread of cancer into their lymph nodes may have up to a 40% survival. The actuarial survival is less than 5% at five years for patients patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma who are treated with chemotherapy alone. The operation is usually curative in patients with benign or low grade cancers of the pancreas.

http://www.surgery.usc.edu/divisions...operation.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I believe you are just further promulgating FUD. For all intents and purposes, Steve Jobs was cured of his rare, curable form of pancreatic cancer years ago. He almost certainly underwent a Whipple procedure to obtain an absolute cure. A Whipple is major surgery of the digestive tract, though. Little doubt his diet must be watched closely and he is more susceptible and sensitive to viral and bacterial infections of the digestive tract than before. It must be a real pain. Leave him alone.

• Reply 62 of 74
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

As for product transition: As much as I'd like to see a mini-tower, I don't think it will happen. The big benefit of a tower is being able to upgrade the guts. 1) Apple doesn't do motherboard or CPU upgrades. 2) Apple supports very few video card options. So beyond internal drives, I don't see much use for a mini-tower.

Internal drives? Bigger ram capacity? Any other cards? And there's one other thing you forgot that the user can upgrade...I think it's called a "monitor".

Besides the upgradability, a huge part of the appeal is that such a box generally tends to be the best bang for the buck. No laptop parts or design nonsense required, just a basic machine in a basic box that gets the job done.

Apple would have a killer product if they just built something comparable to the mini but a bit bigger and with desktop parts - they could have a much MUCH better box at the same price if not cheaper.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by douglogic View Post

@Foo2: I am not sure what your problem is with my comment?? If he had a curable form as previously reported by the company, then he is probably experiencing something related to his diet and side effects from the procedure, something I mention. However, if the cancer has returned, he could be very ill. Apple is more secretive than the Kremlin was, so unless you are his personal doctor, I am not sure how you can have a problem with an examination of the range of possible scenarios in the event Apple is not being totally upfront about his situation. I don't know how anyone could look at him at WWDC and not be concerned about his health.

This is some general info from USC Medical about Whipple and Pancreatic cancer:

Will the Whipple operation improve my survival?

The overall survival after the whipple operation for pancreatic adenocarcinoma is about 20% at five years after surgery. Patients without spread of cancer into their lymph nodes may have up to a 40% survival. The actuarial survival is less than 5% at five years for patients patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma who are treated with chemotherapy alone. The operation is usually curative in patients with benign or low grade cancers of the pancreas.

http://www.surgery.usc.edu/divisions...operation.html

Ach, the misinformation!

As he reported years ago, Steve Jobs did not have a pancreatic adenocarcinoma.

"This weekend I underwent a successful surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from my pancreas. I had a very rare form of pancreatic cancer called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which represents about 1 percent of the total cases of pancreatic cancer diagnosed each year, and can be cured by surgical removal if diagnosed in time (mine was). [i] will not require any chemotherapy or radiation treatments."--Steve Jobs
  • Reply 64 of 74
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

And apple recovered most of the drop, it only ended up down 4 and a quarter from yesterday, or 2.5%. That's nothing.

Anyone who bought at today's low of 148 made 14 bucks a share by the end of the day. I wish I had some cash laying around, I would have done just that.

Cough. Cough.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cufarley View Post

As responsible people which many of you Apple liberals aren't, some things are bigger than yourself. I am an Apple fan from afar. I like the technology and innovation, but mostly what I find compelling to like is the competition with Microsoft. Back to my original statement, the company's revival, and you must admit, is due to Steve Jobs. On a personal level, from what I know, he's an arrogant self-loathing SOB. He abandoned his children and responsibilities to pursue self indulgence. That being said, he cannot leave Apple for health reasons, he must come clean to share-holders to whom he's ultimately beholding to. I hope it's not life threatening as some are hyping, but sometimes, you must think of others before ones self. To many of you, I know this is foreign...

What have you been smoking? Seriously, "must come clean," nonsense. It seems to me that you are thinking about your pocketbook and nothing else. You have missed what Apple has represented for decades now, and I doubt you'll ever find it. Also, please substantiate your other rubbish statements.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Internal drives?

Meh. Get external. They're cheap.

Quote:

Bigger ram capacity?

Meh. If you're doing something that needs that much RAM, buy a Mac Pro.

Quote:

Any other cards?

Meh. Teeny-tiny market. Anyone doing something important enough to require another card can shell out for the Mac Pro.

Quote:

And there's one other thing you forgot that the user can upgrade...I think it's called a "monitor".

Meh. Every Mac has DVI out. Attach another monitor.

Quote:

Besides the upgradability, a huge part of the appeal is that such a box generally tends to be the best bang for the buck.

Apple's never been about best bang for the buck - for the consumer/user. (Ok, I'm lying a little bit there.)

Quote:

No laptop parts or design nonsense required, just a basic machine in a basic box that gets the job done.

But Apple's all about the slick design. Basic box = boring = !Apple.

Quote:

Apple would have a killer product if they just built something comparable to the mini but a bit bigger and with desktop parts - they could have a much MUCH better box at the same price if not cheaper.

I totally agree. I'd love to see a mini-tower. I still have my B&W G3. Apple for some reason doesn't see the obviousness of it. I really don't know why. I have to believe it's either A) Steve doesn't want one so there isn't one. or B) Apple would rather sell fewer of the higher margin Mac Pros - they know that if someone REALLY needs the features a tower offers they'll shell out for the Mac Pro.

I think not having a mini-tower keeps the product line simple for Apple. Prosumers can get a high end iMac - with fixed video, no slots, etc. Sure, many of them would LIKE to do all those things you mentioned. But they either A) want Apple's software more or B) Will grumble and spring for the Mac Pro.

Maybe Apple/Steve is intentionally shunning the mini-tower market because they know/believe it would be more hassle than it's worth?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    I am not trying to misinform anyone. I do not pretend to have any personal knowledge of his situation and I am not an MD. I certainly hope he is healthy as a horse. I think the link previously and the one below provides anyone interested in information about the disease a good understanding of his situation then and now. If he is cured, he has some other issue causing him to be so thin. I think I laid out those options related to side effects and his aggressive vegan diet. I personally think his weird diet may be the culprit. However, the other option is he is sick again. That is a possibility. I hope it is not, but if you are discussing his health, you have to at least discuss that possibility.

"The natural history of islet cell and carcinoic tumors tends to be favorable as compared with pancreatic adenocarcinoma. For example, the median survival duration from the time of diagnosis for patients with non-functioning metastatic islet cell tumors approaches five years. "

source: http://www.pancreatica.org/faq.html#anchor2193376

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Ach, the misinformation!

As he reported years ago, Steve Jobs did not have a pancreatic adenocarcinoma.

"This weekend I underwent a successful surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from my pancreas. I had a very rare form of pancreatic cancer called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which represents about 1 percent of the total cases of pancreatic cancer diagnosed each year, and can be cured by surgical removal if diagnosed in time (mine was). [i] will not require any chemotherapy or radiation treatments."--Steve Jobs

• Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not FSJ View Post

RESPECT?

Jobs does not respect shareholder value.

BIG, BIG money is at stake because of his unwillingness to be truthful with owners of AAPL.

Where's the RESPECT?

Get the hell out of here. He is the heart and soul of Apple and an inspiration to so many people. No one needs people like you here.

Steve
  • Reply 69 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone91 View Post

Get the hell out of here. He is the heart and soul of Apple and an inspiration to so many people. No one needs people like you here.

Steve

you just say that cuz you have the same name :P
  • Reply 70 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

you just say that cuz you have the same name :P

Maybe I am Steve Jobs... Or not. We do have the same name, and I do live close to him, but I'm not him. I just have a lot of respect for him and Apple. Raging on him for stock problems is uncalled for and I hate it, so I make harsh comments. I'm not usually that rude, but things like that get me going.

Steve
  • Reply 71 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by douglogic View Post

I am not trying to misinform anyone. I do not pretend to have any personal knowledge of his situation and I am not an MD. I certainly hope he is healthy as a horse. I think the link previously and the one below provides anyone interested in information about the disease a good understanding of his situation then and now. If he is cured, he has some other issue causing him to be so thin. I think I laid out those options related to side effects and his aggressive vegan diet. I personally think his weird diet may be the culprit. However, the other option is he is sick again. That is a possibility. I hope it is not, but if you are discussing his health, you have to at least discuss that possibility.

"The natural history of islet cell and carcinoic tumors tends to be favorable as compared with pancreatic adenocarcinoma. For example, the median survival duration from the time of diagnosis for patients with non-functioning metastatic islet cell tumors approaches five years. "

source: http://www.pancreatica.org/faq.html#anchor2193376

The key word in the above quote, which has no relevance to Jobs' case, is metastatic. If you'll read further in that same page, you'll find this statement: "The treatment of choice for localized islet cell tumors is generally curative surgery." Localized is the opposite of metastatic. Steve jobs was cured. This is not the relaxed definition of "cured" often used for more serious forms of cancer, where it sometimes means no recurrence within the first 5 years after diagnosis. No, for the specific cancer Steve Jobs had, this is CURED. Virtually 100%. Perhaps you can now understand why Jobs' doctors were so fantastically relieved when they discovered the precise form of cancer he had at biopsy.

You also refer to some weird diet the man has. Perhaps you were also energized a few months ago when some ignoramuses in the press tried to make Jobs look like an absolute, reckless jerk by his postponing the surgery when we've all got billions of dollars riding on his health--ya know? Now, if you hopefully understand the situation he faced--a cancer that is slow-growing, not aggressive and for which the cure is an awful surgical procedure that will leave debilitating effects for the rest of his long life--perhaps you will understand why a sane person would do everything within their power to avoid that surgery. In fact, for someone in Jobs' position and with his wealth, it would be irresponsible for him not to try very hard to avoid that surgery. The mortality rate from a Whipple is itself not insignificant.

Finally, if Steve Jobs doesn't look 100%, one need look no further than the surgery he had for a very likely cause.

Now will you stop and let the man have some space to do his work?

Speaking of which, do you have any issue with Apple's performance during the past 3 years? Be sure to let Steve know.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not FSJ View Post

RESPECT?

Jobs does not respect shareholder value.

BIG, BIG money is at stake because of his unwillingness to be truthful with owners of AAPL.

Where's the RESPECT?

Well, whether Job's respects shareholders or not, it's clear you don't think he does and that you don't think he deserves respect.

The great majority of us disagree.

Personally, the real issue for Apple is not whether he is sick or not - the issue is whether

* his work is affected

* he leaves Apple

I mean... big money is not at stake because of him not talking - big money is at stake if he is actually sick.

If Steve is sick, then he can

1) tell shareholders, who then worry about how sick and whether it's deadly and whether he is getting treatment and chances of success and whether Jobs re-evaluates his life goals and whether he'll have as many hours at apple, and whether other investors will worry and sell, and whether that would make Apple a good buy....and and and

2) not tell shareholders, who then worry about whether he's sick, and if so how sick, and whether it's deadly and whether he is getting treatment.... and and and

With either choice 1 or 2, he'll still work with Apple and be involved in the way he chooses to be while sick (if sick).

We'd all like to be able to predict the future, it'd make us a lot of money (as long as no-one else could predict the future). The thing about playing the stock market is the uncertainty, and attempting to make the right call.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    If Steve Jobs is sick--sick in a way that would would matter to us--then we would all know soon enough.

I don't think many people in this world understand the intensity of purpose with which Jobs operates.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Meh. Get external. They're cheap.

YUCK.

I have external drives, a bunch of them. It's a huge cabling nightmare, and tons of clutter. Besides price, external drives take up more space, they're generally slower, and they use up valuable FW or USB bandwidth.

As far as I'm concerned, internal drives alone are enough reason to do a box like this.

Quote:

Meh. If you're doing something that needs that much RAM, buy a Mac Pro.

The mini only holds 2 gigs so far (which is pretty inexcusable years after it was initially released with intel). There are tons of consumer apps that could use more ram but don't need any of the other MP features - adobe stuff, Logic (including the express). Even included apps like Garage Band can benefit from more ram, and it's dirt cheap these days. 2 gigs max is horrible, and 4 gigs nothing special.

Quote:

Meh. Every Mac has DVI out. Attach another monitor.

Meh my ass. You're screwed if your monitor breaks. Or if you ALREADY HAVE a monitor (maybe even one that's better than the one in the imac) and don't want to pay for one you don't want. Or you want two monitors, but not have to be stuck with the one in the imac (you already have two or you want them to match).

Quote:

Apple's never been about best bang for the buck - for the consumer/user. (Ok, I'm lying a little bit there.)

And apple's never been about much more than a tiny market share either. But Apple themselves said they're going to change this in the next quarter - they've said they'll have lower profit margins, which means more bang for the buck for the consumer. This one isn't an excuse any more.

Quote:

But Apple's all about the slick design. Basic box = boring = !Apple.

And again, apple's all about the tiny marketshare. Don't get me wrong, I'd have no complaint if apple manages to make a budget machine that looks great and doesn't add a price premium for it. But many people just need a box that does the job and aren't willing to pay for style when there's a lack of substance. Apple has painted themselves into a tiny corner of the market - they do it well, but they have been screwing themselves over on market share.

Not all consumers are suckers enough to pay more for an inferior machine just because it's shiny and pretty.

Quote:

they know that if someone REALLY needs the features a tower offers they'll shell out for the Mac Pro.

Except that's not the case - they might get a MP...but they might just blow off apple and get a PC. It's great if you can avoid cannibalizing your own product lines, but not if instead you're losing the customer completely.

Quote:

I think not having a mini-tower keeps the product line simple for Apple.

Sure, but is simple an advantage? Apple could go down to fewer models of laptop and desktop than they have now - that would be simpler, but would it be better? "Simple product line" was the reason given for no ultraportable (which happened). Same for the mini (which happened). Same for the ipod touch (which happened). Look at the ipod line, they could definitely get by with a model or two less, but that doesn't seem to be hurting iPod sales, does it?

I'd agree that adding a ton of models would confuse customers - this would be ONE new model. The notion that having a third headless unit in "medium" between the current models of "jumbo XXL" and "toddler" would be too confusing or not simple enough seems pretty ridiculous.

If anything, apple should dump the mini and just do a midtower instead. The market for a tiny machine is barely anything - at least they could make their low end machine competitive.

Not to mention that a midtower would be pretty much apple's easiest engineering challenge in years. Since it would be simpler than an imac, a laptop, or even a mini, the design cost and risk would be fairly minimal. I can't imagine they wouldn't sell enough to cover the costs of development.

"Buy a mac pro" is the answer always given in response to comments about a midtower, and it's nonsense. It's like telling someone whose Toyota Yarus is too small to buy a Ford Excursion.

There are people with needs in the middle. It only makes sense to offer a product in the middle.

Back more on topic, the stock is already higher than it was before the earnings announcement. Congrats to any who made a quick buck!