Microsoft offers first hints at anti-Apple marketing blitz for Vista

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Yeah everyone did think that the earth was flat. But MS stole the new discovery and made it their own.
  • Reply 22 of 129
    It sounds like we'll be getting a lot more soon!
  • Reply 23 of 129
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    I would actually like to see Vista adoption speed up and take away market share from XP. As a web developer, I am sooo sick of being constrained by the retardedness that is IE6 (I'm sure Apple is too when it comes to their MobileMe web apps). So I do hope MS are successful there.

But I don't think this campaign would have much of an effect on Mac users or potential Mac buyers. The "I'm a mac, I'm a PC campaign" is so simple and effective - everyone gets it, and I'm sure it has convinced a lot of people to try and/or buy a Mac. But for Microsoft, saying things like "... in its early days, Windows Vista did experience some compatibility problems. But thanks to our industry partners' efforts during the past 18 months, here's where things stand today..." is still going to sound too businessy or techy to many people, and reaffirm the confusion they experience when trying to use Windows. I can at least guarantee that such a statement would mean jack-all to my mother-in-law...
  • Reply 24 of 129
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    "I got goosebumps - just, wow," said one insider who was privy to the preview.

If only there was a way to print intonation. And I thought the "Wow starts now" ad campaign was dead. "A shock to your operating system."
  • Reply 25 of 129
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_earth#Antiquity

Quote:

Around 330 BC, Aristotle provided observational evidence for the spherical Earth,[13] noting that travelers going south see southern constellations rise higher above the horizon. He argued that this was only possible if their horizon was at an angle to northerners' horizon and thus the Earth's surface could not be flat.[14] He also noted that the border of the shadow of Earth on the Moon during the partial phase of a lunar eclipse is always circular, no matter how high the Moon is over the horizon. Only a sphere casts a circular shadow in every direction, whereas a circular disk casts an elliptical shadow in all directions apart from directly above and directly below.[15] Writing around 10 BC, the Greek geographer Strabo cited various phenomena observed at sea as suggesting that the Earth was spherical. He observed that elevated lights or areas of land were visible to sailors at greater distances than those which were less elevated, and stated that the curvature of the sea was obviously responsible for this.[16] He also remarked that observers can see further when their eyes are elevated, and cited a line from the Odyssey[17] as indicating that the poet Homer was already aware of this as early as the 7th or 8th century BC.

Great to see MS as firmly in control of the facts as ever.

Saying that Columbus was the first to suggest the Earth was round is like giving Neil Armstrong the credit for the non-cheese Moon theory?
  • Reply 26 of 129
    Hi guys and gals,

take a close look at that sailing ship. It has Nelson chess board pattern, and I'm sure someone can comment on the rigging and the rest of the ship's design.

Really sloppy work from the advertising agency. This is a ship from the 1800s, so people in the western world would have known the earth was not flat for at least 300 years or more. Never mind the Egyptians and others who had worked it out a lot earlier.

Proof Microsoft just follows, never innovates.
  • Reply 27 of 129
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    Nothing like countering the myths of Vista with myths of your own.
  • Reply 28 of 129
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    So they are going to spend 300 million to convince people that Vista is a better OS but then release the next version of Windows "next year"?

Who do they think they're kidding?
  • Reply 29 of 129
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Wow, I just can't believe how lame this is.

Apple has their jokey hipster commercials, and MS's response is a picture of an old sailing ship?

Looking at it, it's hard not to think it's a joke.

And are we really supposed to feel good that two of the top 100 apps DON'T work (which are they?), and about 1 of every 10 peripherals won't work without drivers?
  • Reply 30 of 129
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Ha! What's funny is that it simply isn't true that people thought the earth was flat during that time period. It's the myth of the myth of the flat earth.

It's Vista sales that are flat.
  • Reply 31 of 129
    Is this the campaign being produced by Crispin? If so there has to be more. I'm not necessarily a fan of everything that CPB has produced but this just seems waaaaay below there standards.

Side note: The CP+B agency runs on Macs
  • Reply 32 of 129
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Well, if it's anything like the effort they put into Vista, it's going to be misdirected, wasteful groupthink.

I heartily agree with what BRussell said on the flat Earth thing -- that's just ignorant.
  • Reply 33 of 129
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admiral_nelson View Post

Hi guys and gals,

take a close look at that sailing ship. It has Nelson chess board pattern, and I'm sure someone can comment on the rigging and the rest of the ship's design.

Really sloppy work from the advertising agency. This is a ship from the 1800s, so people in the western world would have known the earth was not flat for at least 300 years or more. Never mind the Egyptians and others who had worked it out a lot earlier.

Proof Microsoft just follows, never innovates.

• Reply 34 of 129
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    So what exactly about this is "anti-apple", particularly since it doesn't look like it will mention apple at all?

This looks more like trying to convince people that Vista doesn't suck as much as they think it sucks. What's with the "anti-apple" spin in the article and headline?
  • Reply 35 of 129
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Talk about giving the Mac - PC ad campaign a "new wave" of artillery ...

• Reply 36 of 129
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Their lameness knows no bounds.

However I think the ship is correct for the era.

But really, who gives a fuck?
  • Reply 37 of 129
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Argh, I'm fighting back, Mac! I'm takin' over this here ad.

Hahahaha! Now PC just needs a hook for a hand.
  • Reply 38 of 129
    I mean really OF COURSE one employee got goose bumps. I think Micro$oft pays their people to get goose bumps-please how unobjective can that source be?

I work in the accounting industry-NO ONE I know has gone to Vista in an office setting yet-nearly 2 years after its release.

I hate XP-have 5 macs at home-but at least XP will boot, and do so in under 2 minutes.
  • Reply 39 of 129
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Talk about giving the Mac - PC ad campaign a "new wave" of artillery ...

Great ad!
  • Reply 40 of 129
    AWESOME Idea Cool Gut!-LMAO!!!!