Microsoft offers first hints at anti-Apple marketing blitz for Vista

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    beg_nebeg_ne Posts: 9member
    Good luck microsoft, my BS meter is off the charts. Pretty much anything that starts with "get the facts" is nothing more than brain melting marketroid crap.
  • Reply 102 of 129
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Too funny. It has half the security holes as XP. The problem is, XP still has security holes after 7 years!!! They can't even get that POS secured, let alone the Vista disaster. Nice job to spend 300 mil on ads instead of fixing the POS.
  • Reply 103 of 129
    About $10M or so of the 300M is allotted to 4420 148th Ave NE Redmond, WA for the final designation place of Vista ( http://www.thefreedictionary.com/vista ), the ads and its team if I'm reading SB right.
  • Reply 104 of 129
    Why should I go to Vista when I can wait for Windows 7 and have the same problems.
  • Reply 105 of 129
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ePan View Post

Wow, that's brilliant. Draw a direct parallel between customers who are unhappy with your product, and folks who believed the earth was flat--while of course absolving yourself of any responsibility. Gee, I'm sold! I've got another one for you: "At one point everyone thought where there was smoke, there was fire."

And, thing is, even in Microsoft land, the metaphor is broken - people used to think the world is flat, and then discovered it wasn't.

People used to think Vista sucked. And it was, but now we've changed it.

So it's not like the people who thought it sucked were wrong at the time, even in Microsoft's world.
  • Reply 106 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Sorry, I couldn't tell the difference. A lot of these established media outlets write more link baiting articles than they do real investigative journalism.

Not ragging on the NY Post as a whole, but obviously this "journalist" was speaking past his core competencies. I don't doubt they have a large readership. So do Fox and the Huffington Post. That doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. Glad it's not your main tech news source.

Uh oh -there is a thread for this mobileme fiasco today.
  • Reply 107 of 129
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And what does that have to do with this crappy Vista marketing blitz?
  • Reply 108 of 129
    Good old Microsoft, always trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

Here's my little contribution to the new Windows campaign:

[center][/center]

• Reply 109 of 129
    According to ZDnet-supposedly a Micro$oft employee denies that the clipper ship ad is part of the upcoming anti-apple ad.

See here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=499&tag=nl.e550

Guess maybe m$ has some trolls here and we tipped them off
  • Reply 110 of 129
    I expected better from this site. Why bash a microsoft ad that has wrong info when the ad they are countering also has tons of bad info.
  • Reply 111 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techslacker View Post

Oh yay another trying to introduce facts into marketing that doesn't apply not only to marketing but to common perceptions. Whether true or not the general thought among people is that back then it was believed the world was not round. This is marketing people and as with any form of communication if you want to deliver a message, you put it in a form that most understand...whether it's true or not.

It'd be interesting to see how some of you would pick apart Apple's marketing if you ever took off the Apple shades.

The common Perception is that Vista sucks BADLY.. yet you postulate "truth" that it doesnt, so why cant the rest of us postulate truth in terms of how accurate the ads are?

or would that not go down well with your shill work?
  • Reply 112 of 129
    peter cpeter c Posts: 12member
    I have a friend who is a highly qualified software engineer. He has a degree in Applied Mathematics and has worked for years in cryptology. He trained as a Microsoft programmer, and also back in the mid 80's worked on Mac's and now does C+ and C sharp for Unix and MS. When moving to a new company he was given a maxed-out quad-core with Vista 64 bit as the OS. It took so long to boot and had such delay problems and structural inefficiencies that he had XP 64 bit installed instead. A month or so ago all of his programming colleagues did the same. Vista is just such a dog of an OS.

I have a relative who is head of Tech Support for our State for a very large international software producer - not MS. She has had such grief with Vista-compatibility across the user-base and her own dramas as well, that she bought a Mac for her personal use. She is an extremely fast worker and after a week of getting used to multitasking on her Mac at home, found she has to use three PC's in Parallel at work to achieve the same productivity. Again the same comment: Vista is just such a dog of an OS.
  • Reply 113 of 129
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

According to ZDnet-supposedly a Micro$oft employee denies that the clipper ship ad is part of the upcoming anti-apple ad.

See here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=499&tag=nl.e550

Guess maybe m$ has some trolls here and we tipped them off

I suspected this might be a hoax, it seems too horrible to actually run.

Did you read that article? That guy actually thinks this would be a great ad! Unbelievable.
  • Reply 114 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peter C View Post

I have a friend who is a highly qualified software engineer. He has a degree in Applied Mathematics and has worked for years in cryptology. He trained as a Microsoft programmer, and also back in the mid 80's worked on Mac's and now does C+ and C sharp for Unix and MS. When moving to a new company he was given a maxed-out quad-core with Vista 64 bit as the OS. It took so long to boot and had such delay problems and structural inefficiencies that he had XP 64 bit installed instead. A month or so ago all of his programming colleagues did the same. Vista is just such a dog of an OS.

I have a relative who is head of Tech Support for our State for a very large international software producer - not MS. She has had such grief with Vista-compatibility across the user-base and her own dramas as well, that she bought a Mac for her personal use. She is an extremely fast worker and after a week of getting used to multitasking on her Mac at home, found she has to use three PC's in Parallel at work to achieve the same productivity. Again the same comment: Vista is just such a dog of an OS.

I do not beleive you. I have a maxed out Dual Core system running Vista Ultimate 64bit and its actually faster then my xp install on the same machine ever was.

Heck I am running vista on my work machine with tons of things going on in the background (Sql,Backups,dreamweaver,couple of remote desktop sessions). It has not slowed down.

I thought A mac site would have better posters on it then a pc site but I guess i was wrong. The same kind of factless bashing going on towards PC as what the PC people are doing towards Apple.

I just bought an ipod touch a week ago and if this is how all the Apple people behave then my new mac purchase might be dropped.
  • Reply 115 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I do not beleive you. I have a maxed out Dual Core system running Vista Ultimate 64bit and its actually faster then my xp install on the same machine ever was.

Heck I am running vista on my work machine with tons of things going on in the background (Sql,Backups,dreamweaver,couple of remote desktop sessions). It has not slowed down.

I thought A mac site would have better posters on it then a pc site but I guess i was wrong. The same kind of factless bashing going on towards PC as what the PC people are doing towards Apple.

I just bought an ipod touch a week ago and if this is how all the Apple people behave then my new mac purchase might be dropped.

I have to tell you that it is the honest truth - I wouldn't waste my time doing needless bashing, really. Not being a Windows user I can only repeat what my I'm told directly by those who do use it. For example: My software engineer friend said that when Outlook runs some regular update function it locks the whole system by completely taking over the CPU's for minutes at a time - it drove him nuts.

With regards to my Tech Support relative who is working in a specialized engineering field, she sets one task in motion on a PC then moves to the next and does the same and then to the next and then returns to the first machine - all because of the lag-time.
  • Reply 116 of 129
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    wow typical MS, too little way late and GEE ISN'T WINDOWS 7 LESS THAN 6 MONTHS AWAY

arrogance, that ms thinks millions will sway the experience....the junk experience known as vista. this will go down as one of the top worst moments of the computer age. vista will be synonymous will failure just like aol-timewarner merger, sprint-nextel mess. to be honest MS behind the backslapping can't wait to get something else out there...as do the pc makers. how about using some of that cash to make up for the huge losses hardware makers had that infamous Christmas sales season and lost sales..... its sooooo self serving

why not reimburse people for the millions of man hours and struggle to get the thing to work

and will enterprise change their minds......just arrogant tribble.

the proof is in the pudding

now after 500 million how much of an increase in vista use will happen, only by pc sales to those that will wish to buy xp instead. why don't they have a stat of how many new xp has been purchased...gee why would dell and ibm and hp allow work arounds

those in the industry will just shake their heads as they load linux or os X and just LAUGH
  • Reply 117 of 129
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

I expected better from this site. Why bash a microsoft ad that has wrong info when the ad they are countering also has tons of bad info.

so you used your second post for that comment?
  • Reply 118 of 129
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:

I don't buy it either.

I have 2 Vista machines, both dual-core AMD systems and 2 GB of RAM, one a desktop, the other a laptop. The desktop is an older AGP machine, while the laptop I got last summer. The desktop is pretty snappy, a bit slower than my Mac Mini, even though the Mini has a C2D, and the AMD is an older A64.

My laptop runs Visual Studio, mySQL/SQL Server, Matlab, Netbeans, etc. For having a slow 4200 RPM 200 GB HD, that causes boot times to drag, it's fast once it's up and running. If I want a really fast boot, I boot into Linux, but it doesn't load with most of the SW my Vista setup has either. My laptop was about $800 at the time.

Vista is not the POS that Apple has claimed it to be, I run the OS on a daily basis, I should know. The only requirement that I have with Vista, is that it pretty much needs a dual-core CPU and 2 gigs, but that's what I feel about Leopard too. You can do it with less, but the experience isn't that good.
  • Reply 119 of 129
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Uh oh...how about looking at the conversation as a whole, rather than taking my comments out of context.

Here's my original post about the NY Post article on MobileMe:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

From the article:

Analysts said the MobileMe service is the cornerstone of the iPhone's push to compete head-to-head with business-oriented smart phones like the popular BlackBerry.

This should tell you they don't know what they're talking about. MobileMe is not going up against Microsoft's Exchange for business users with BlackBerrys. Shoot, the iPhone's own use of ActiveSync gives a direct connection to the Exchange server, rather than going through a third party up in Canada as RIM's phone does, which has resulted in a number of Exchange outages.

The article just quotes a couple forum posts. Apple has addressed the problem with subscription extensions and admitting the transition is "rockier" than they expected. My advice, don't go with NY Post bloggers for your tech news source. Man, what a shallow, sensationalist rant. And they get payed for this.

• Reply 120 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I don't buy it either.

I have 2 Vista machines, both dual-core AMD systems and 2 GB of RAM, one a desktop, the other a laptop. The desktop is an older AGP machine, while the laptop I got last summer. The desktop is pretty snappy, a bit slower than my Mac Mini, even though the Mini has a C2D, and the AMD is an older A64.

My laptop runs Visual Studio, mySQL/SQL Server, Matlab, Netbeans, etc. For having a slow 4200 RPM 200 GB HD, that causes boot times to drag, it's fast once it's up and running. If I want a really fast boot, I boot into Linux, but it doesn't load with most of the SW my Vista setup has either. My laptop was about $800 at the time.

Vista is not the POS that Apple has claimed it to be, I run the OS on a daily basis, I should know. The only requirement that I have with Vista, is that it pretty much needs a dual-core CPU and 2 gigs, but that's what I feel about Leopard too. You can do it with less, but the experience isn't that good.

Glad to get some balance. It gives me food for thought and I shall be asking more questions. The two anecdotes are basically as I told them, given your feedback I can only assume that the software being used under Vista by my friends is what is causing the different user experience.