Copy & Paste references spotted in existing iPhone frameworks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

According to whom, the people who write/speak the phrase "I could care less"?

As opposed to those use the word "couldn't" in that phrase? The use of 'could' has, arguably, evolved into a legitimate 'sarcastic inversion' (e.g., similar to the use "Tell me about it!"):

http://www.bartleby.com/64/C003/078.html
  • Reply 22 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

According to whom, the people who write/speak the phrase "I could care less"?

According to history. There are very few words that survive with the original spellings, definitions and/or pronunciations still the same as the original. Typically it does seem to start with people using it incorrectly but that doesn't mean that later usage in that way is incorrect.

Your "I could car less" statement is different as it's not a defined term but a phrasing lacking the negative clause. While technically possible?since language can evolve to fit any need?it's improbable for said phrase to be deemed acceptable. Believe you me, there are plenty of phrases that are odd to the tongue that we commonly use in our everyday chatter, and there are plenty of other phrases that many, if not most, people use incorrectly when compared to the original but that make perfect sense by today's logical standards. Ain't language grande?
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

As opposed to those use the word "couldn't" in that phrase? The use of 'could' has, arguably, evolved into a legitimate 'sarcastic inversion' (e.g., similar to the use "Tell me about it!"):

I am mistaken.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's a common colloquial usage, I think the linguistic definition is all but dead. The lexicographers will undoubtedly resist, but eventually it will make it in as an alternative definition.

It may be more common, but it's not correct.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Ironically, I really need copy/paste.

I weep for our future.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Yoo-hoo!!! (And the stock is up $3.28... )

From what? A big down?
  • Reply 27 of 57
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

I am mistaken.

No you're not.

Quote:

The fact is, that if you say "I could care less", when what you mean is "I couldn't care less", you have to say it in a sarcastic tone of voice, otherwise it doesn't mean what you want it to mean.

When writing, it can be very difficult, or impossible, depending upon context, to imply sarcasm. In this particular case, it can sometimes be difficult to tell if someone really does actually mean that they "could care less", or if they're using the phrase (IMHO) incorrectly and mean "couldn't care less".
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It may be more common, but it's not correct.

That is the point of my post. With language, commonality is all that is needed to becoming correct.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by casper3 View Post

All we really want is Finder and cut/copy/paste... Give it to us, Apple, in some future software update!

I agree. I am considering buying an iphone and cut and paste would help seal the deal.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Quote:

feature was not a priority and that engineers simply hadn't gotten around to it yet.

I'd say the same thing if I showed up for work with no pants.

Seriously though, how hard can this be? Copy/paste one of the most fundamental features of an OS. Any app can access the contacts database, so let's just make another database and call it, hmmm, I don't know, "clipboard"?
  • Reply 31 of 57
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

From what? A big down?

Actually, no. (Check the stock chart, and decide for yourself.)
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Seriously though, how hard can this be? Copy/paste one of the most fundamental features of an OS. Any app can access the contacts database, so let's just make another database and call it, hmmm, I don't know, "clipboard"?

A desktop OS != a mobile OS. WinMobile and BB devices have cut/copy/paste by using a stylus to access right/control-click options. This is not as easy to do when using stubby sausages over a stylus, mouse or physical keyboard.

Plus, it's not as easy adding a Clipboard to the system processes. It's a matter of how you add or retrieve items from the clipboard. I haven't seen an exceptional idea for inputing text on the iPhone. Despite all the wanting for this feature there are very few ideas on how to implement it.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    +mimic+mimic Posts: 37member
    Quote:

That is the point of my post. With language, commonality is all that is needed to becoming correct.

Unfortunately, it is not limited to language, but also social behavior.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I weep for our future.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ?MiMiC View Post

Unfortunately, it is not limited to language, but also social behavior.

See the movie "Idiocracy".

It is meant as satire of the future, but at times it seems

more like a documentary.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    daniel0418daniel0418 Posts: 122member
    First of all if your going to push this phone as if it were "enterprise" ready you need a copy/paste tool. Second to add copy/paste just make it so you can double tap on the screen and instead of lifting after the second tap and allowing it to zoom in hold it down. Drag your finger across the text you want to copy then when it's all highlighted let go. Push your finger down on the highlighted text until the menu pops up giving you the option to 'save image' but also add saying .copy text' then go to a blank page or a spot your typing hold your finger down allow the same menu to pop up but with 'paste text' if your fingers are fat delete any excess text you might have copied. This is simple I know apple can figure this out. Btw I have the new iPhone... I love it but I need copy/paste and I hate that driving around new York I am forced to use edge because there is no 3g coverage.. And when there is I get maybe 2 bars which is still worse than using edge
  • Reply 36 of 57
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

See the movie "Idiocracy".

It is meant as satire of the future, but at times it seems

more like a documentary.

There are obvious extremes, but English isn't like math. There countless kludges in the language that have been there for a long time because of its evolution. If you pay too much attention to it, you'll just get needlessly angry. It can be slowed down, but not stopped.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:

According to history. There are very few words that survive with the original spellings, definitions and/or pronunciations still the same as the original. Typically it does seem to start with people using it incorrectly but that doesn't mean that later usage in that way is incorrect.

Your "I could car less" statement is different as it's not a defined term but a phrasing lacking the negative clause. While technically possible?since language can evolve to fit any need?it's improbable for said phrase to be deemed acceptable. Believe you me, there are plenty of phrases that are odd to the tongue that we commonly use in our everyday chatter, and there are plenty of other phrases that many, if not most, people use incorrectly when compared to the original but that make perfect sense by today's logical standards. Ain't language grande?

Do you really need to be posting this on the thread? There comes a time when you just sound like a dolt with all this, you are well past that point in my opinion.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypermark View Post

Ironically, just blogged on this gap in a post called 'iPhone's Lingering Raspberry.'

In it I concluded that I can't take my iPod touch seriously as a typing/text-based input device until I can 'save drafts' and do 'copy and paste.'

The main logic is what's the point if you can not easily edit your words, concluding that my Blackberry 7130 isn't going anywhere as a result.

Mark

Exactly. Writing emails, text messages, and blog posts is a major PITA without cut/copy/paste. I manage ecommerce websites and I am constantly copying and pasting order numbers, client IDs, shipping data, etc from a web app backend into emails and notes. This is easily done with an old Treo, and next to impossible with the iPhone/Touch. If you have to wrote info down with pen and paper to transfer it between applications, something is very wrong.

I cannot see how Apple would expect to take over the corporate smartphone market without something as incredibly basic as cut/copy/paste. I'm sure your average business user can get over the fact that it's a media-oriented "hip" phone and even learn to enjoy using the touchscreen keyboard, but not having cut/copy/paste?? I highly doubt it. It's incredibly frustrating...
  • Reply 39 of 57
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

A desktop OS != a mobile OS. WinMobile and BB devices have cut/copy/paste by using a stylus to access right/control-click options. This is not as easy to do when using stubby sausages over a stylus, mouse or physical keyboard.

On UIQ (on Symbian) you hold your stubby finger over the text for a short while and drag to select. Apps then have an edit menu and pull down like desktop OSs to cut/copy/paste. The delay in holding your stubby finger there for long enough signifies you're wanting to select text rather than just move the caret.

On the iPhone I'd guess they'd do the same but instead of the edit menu they'd pop up a box asking what to do with the selection since adding an edit menu to every app now is out.

Quote:

Plus, it's not as easy adding a Clipboard to the system processes. It's a matter of how you add or retrieve items from the clipboard. I haven't seen an exceptional idea for inputing text on the iPhone. Despite all the wanting for this feature there are very few ideas on how to implement it.

I really don't think that's an issue. They've had a clipboard since they borrowed the idea off of the Xerox Star. I don't see why they can't borrow the UIQ method too.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    That developer is me. I was looking through Webkit.framework and found these functions. Here is my original post which lists some other features i found.

http://technicality.tumblr.com/post/...mign-to-future

http://technicality.tumblr.com/post/...-iap-framework