Maybe this will push Apple to update the mini!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

A: The mac-mini doesn't use more than 144MB of Ram out of a possible 256MB of RAM the chipset can borrow from System Ram.

B: Check this theory against a non-mac-mini and determine whether or not it's a pre-defined spec inside of QuickTime or not.

A. that's fine... the Mini outputs a 1080p picture just fine... plays video at that resolution just fine... so the graphics/CPU limitation is not a factor.

B. My complaint is that it doesn't recognize the Sony TV at the proper resolution. No big deal... there are workarounds... but whatever happened to Apple and "It just works" ... "Plug and Play" should be a no-brainer for a monitor (and would work properly if they added a "real" HDMI output.)

Granted, they market the Mini as a computer, not as a TV device, so I suppose I'm using it in a way Apple didn't intend.

Back to the original topic... I just think HDMI output would be a good idea for when they update the Mini (probably in a few years ) IF they want to be able to sell it against things like that Dell.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

A. that's fine... the Mini outputs a 1080p picture just fine... plays video at that resolution just fine... so the graphics/CPU limitation is not a factor.

B. My complaint is that it doesn't recognize the Sony TV at the proper resolution. No big deal... there are workarounds... but whatever happened to Apple and "It just works" ... "Plug and Play" should be a no-brainer for a monitor (and would work properly if they added a "real" HDMI output.)

Granted, they market the Mini as a computer, not as a TV device, so I suppose I'm using it in a way Apple didn't intend.

Back to the original topic... I just think HDMI output would be a good idea for when they update the Mini (probably in a few years ) IF they want to be able to sell it against things like that Dell.

I agree the HDMI would be a good idea, but which specification? HDMI 1.3a? HDMI 1.3b?

I would think Apple might include the G43 chipset from Intel on the mini: http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...3-overview.htm

and not include the http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...5-overview.htm

but let's think differentiation and expect Apple to go with the G35: http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...5-overview.htm

or they could scrap all three and go with their on Chipset to work with the Intel CPUs.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I agree the HDMI would be a good idea, but which specification? HDMI 1.3a? HDMI 1.3b?

I would think Apple might include the G43 chipset from Intel on the mini: http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...3-overview.htm

and not include the http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...5-overview.htm

but let's think differentiation and expect Apple to go with the G35: http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...5-overview.htm

or they could scrap all three and go with their on Chipset to work with the Intel CPUs.

Huh... those are desktop chipsets.

If Apple updates the Mac mini (without changing the form factor), they would use a mobile chipset: PM45 or GM45/47 (hopefully):

http://www.intel.com/products/notebo...5-overview.htm
  • Reply 24 of 45
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

GM45/47 (hopefully):

One can hope but it seems less than 50/50 on the mini.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

One can hope but it seems less than 50/50 on the mini.

Hello Vinea,

We live in exciting times... Nothing is 100% sure.

We don't know if Apple will ever update the Mac mini.

We don't know if Apple will use chipsets from another vendor.

We don't know how Apple will update the MB/MBP.

We don't know how Apple will update the iPod lines.

We don't know nothing. But we sure talk/write a lot about all this!

• Reply 26 of 45
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    I don't understand why Apple couldn't have updated it by now, it's not as if there is a lack of hardware options to choose from. Penryn, Wireless N, GMA X3100. It's just odd. I really am stating to think it's gong to be discontinued.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xflare View Post

I don't understand why Apple couldn't have updated it by now, it's not as if there is a lack of hardware options to choose from. Penryn, Wireless N, GMA X3100. It's just odd. I really am stating to think it's gong to be discontinued.

You certainly may be correct. The one angle that could support its survival despite looking "old" is potentially Apple's intention of never allowing the mini to be a true technical challenger or peer to the iMac. In essence... for those who want the best consumer machine (spec-wise), Apple will clearly steer them to the iMac where they make more money and not toward the mini where it's been reported they make less.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

You certainly may be correct. The one angle that could support its survival despite looking "old" is potentially Apple's intention of never allowing the mini to be a true technical challenger or peer to the iMac. In essence... for those who want the best consumer machine (spec-wise), Apple will clearly steer them to the iMac where they make more money and not toward the mini where it's been reported they make less.

The problem there is that the iMac, Macbook and MBP were already updated to Penryn. The Mini is the only machine still on Merom. Perhaps if Apple are buying a whole heap of chips, the Mini is their way of clearing inventory while allowing them to push their more popular models forward with newer hardware.

It's quite a good strategy but naturally doesn't benefit people who take the Mini seriously. It would also mean that Apple has no need to update it until their stock is dried up or at least beyond a certain threshold.

For example, they bought 50 million NAND chips from Samsung:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/02/a...ndustry-starv/

If they don't use them in iphones, they aren't going to throw them out, they'll use them in products like ipod touches etc.

This is why I think some sort of redesign of the consumer line is in order so that they can unify the parts better. If they have MXM slots in all the lineup, graphics chips that aren't used in the MBPs can be used in the iMacs, Minis and Macbooks. Overbuying stock that doesn't sell affects profits so streamlining the lineup to a more unified design helps a lot.

It also means they can buy more of the same stock and get larger discounts. No need to buy 8600M GTs for the MBP and 8800GS for the top iMac as well as ATI's chips. Just one larger batch order of MXM-based chips (possibly a high and low end model) for the entire lineup. Fewer software support issues = better performance, lower support costs.

From Apple's perspective, I can only see one reason to discontinue the Mini and that is if they reduce the cost of the Macbook enough that the Mini isn't cost-effective. But it would be a big stretch for them to come close to the Mini price range when adding in that people still want to use it as a desktop and so would buy an external display.

I think there will be an update but the Mini comes last among all the products. We know that stock of the laptops has been said to dry up in 3 weeks so that will be the first thing to happen.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Wow, lots of old timers in here! Guess ya'll want to buy a mini! Me too. One thing: it's a tad expensive for what you get as most people have hit on.

In my limited experience, I feel they could be getting more sales if it was $499. Most cheapo business desktops these days are $499 or $399. They're a disposable appliance. If Apple wants a crack at the business sector, they'll at least get below that magic $500. And me, I'd buy one too potentially, if it comes to $499. I'd buy one tomorrow if they could somehow amazingly make a $399 model or heck even a $449 model. Screw margins, it's their in. They need to get in to business! I feel they are poised on the edge of something big here with the iPhone. The mini is the other half of the equation. No typical business that isn't a creative will need, at least for the most part, iMacs or Mac Pros. It's between the mini, MacBook, and maybe MBP. The mini right now definitely looks bad because of its price. Maybe they could just introduce a cheaper version for a hundred or two less, along with a more expensive model.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    the Mini suffers from schizophrenia. businesses just need a very basic headless computer without consumer programs and advanced media features, and for that market it has more features than necessary and, yes, is overpriced. media centers/HTPC's need processing power, good graphics, and hardware bells and whistles. so for that market it is incomplete and you have to buy add-ons. the only market it hits exactly is the general use home desktop - but the iMac is so much more attractive as a consumer product by comparison. so mostly it winds up being somebody's second or third home computer. this is too small a market segment.

Apple could respond by continuing the current model, just knocking $200 off the price, for businesses and home budget buyers, while adding a new more powerful "media" model with some of the improvements discussed repeatedly on this thread and other forums at the current prices or higher. it would need to be able to do some things the iMac cannot.

but i bet they don't.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    I've been griping in this forum for years about the lack of a Mac Tablet. Then, Wacom released the Cintiq 12WX and now the Mac Mini looks attractive. Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated for a year, and even when it was last year, it had already been a year then and they didn't even mention it until someone asked during a Q&A.

They must be playing around with alternatives or at least a different way to market it. Whatever they decide to do with the mini, I'd just like for them to do it soon.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Identically configured, the MacMini is $849 (USD), and the Dell is $639... but the Dell includes "N" wireless and HDMI output. making for a better bigscreen media server (what I use my Mini for.)

Of course the Mac comes with much better software and OS.

But still... Dell manages to pack the exact same (and some better) components into roughly the same enclosure at a MUCH cheaper price...

But if Apple can sell the Mini at it's current price, with greater margins, then why not?... more money for R&D, or for shareholders, or cancer surgery, or whatever!.. no point in operating a business if it doesn't make money (unless you're an airline )

And to be honest, it's a slightly more practical design as well. It's slightly larger, but it also has a a pair of USB ports, a headphone jack, and a SD card reader up front. Hopefully Apple will take this as incentive to build a better mini.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Dell or no Dell, I just wish Apple would hurry up and update the Mini line... I'm itching to buy one with HDMI and Blu-Ray! (I know wishful thinking...)
  • Reply 34 of 45
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    BluRay might be wishful thinking, but I think that HDMI is not, and it should be included in the next Mac mini revision ... if there ever is one!
  • Reply 35 of 45
    I don't even care if there's no Blu-Ray option, so long as the optical drive can be swapped out for a third-party blu-ray drive. HDMI I think would make a big difference to people like me who want a mini as a home media server.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

I don't even care if there's no Blu-Ray option, so long as the optical drive can be swapped out for a third-party blu-ray drive. HDMI I think would make a big difference to people like me who want a mini as a home media server.

Well, technically you can now. You need to tear the think apart and replace the optical drive with a panasonic UJ-225
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Well, technically you can now. You need to tear the think apart and replace the optical drive with a panasonic UJ-225

Then all I'm really waiting for is an HDMI socket
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Then all I'm really waiting for is an HDMI socket

If you don't mind using a separate line for the audio, there's no reason you can't use a simple DVI to HDMI adapter now.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

If you don't mind using a separate line for the audio, there's no reason you can't use a simple DVI to HDMI adapter now.

True, but it makes things a lot more complicated for plugging in to TVs and other A/V equipment. If the next generation of mini doesn't have HDMI, I'll probably still end up getting one (unless they beef up the Apple TV or someone hacks it to run OS X).
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Wow!... at $800+ what a bargain!

That raises the question... is there a media player for OSX that would even PLAY a BR movie??