New app lets your Mac share your iPhone's internet connection

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Since the US is somewhat larger than Finland, infrastructure upgrades are more costly. Unlike most of Europe where the area is a little smaller than in the US. Money is the reason why for the most part.

I was not talking about geography but about the network infrastructure. An IN network is the same in a big country or a little country. I lived in Germany, Italy, Kuwait, and a few others just to name a few. Never have I seen data restrictions as tough as I have in the US. This will make the US look like the 3rd World in terms of mobile communications. It suggests that the networks are, well.... crap if they can not handle data traffic, especially at the prices being paid for the service.

God, I hope the State Department does not make me come back to DC to work.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I was not talking about geography but about the network infrastructure. An IN network is the same in a big country or a little country. I lived in Germany, Italy, Kuwait, and a few others just to name a few. Never have I seen data restrictions as tough as I have in the US. This will make the US look like the 3rd World in terms of mobile communications. It suggests that the networks are, well.... crap if they can not handle data traffic, especially at the prices being paid for the service.

God, I hope the State Department does not make me come back to DC to work.

I know what you were talking about and infrastructure is related to geography. However, if your life depends on cell phone data plans, then by all means, don't come back because it would not suit you.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

You really have to wonder why this wasn't included as default with the iPhone.. Apple being its usual restrictive self again.. as someone new to Apple, I think I actually hate them more than Microsoft. Their practices are totally anti consumer, and they really just rip you of for whatever they can get (cue: Apple fanboys defending Apple). The only thing that redeems them is they make such a good product, where Microsoft rarely does.

It pretty much boils down to Microsoft makes a living providing products that rarely disappoint because they've done such a good job of lowering everyone's expectations.

Apple makes a living providing products that risk disappointing people because they've done such a good job of raising everyone's expectations.

Personally I'd pick the Apple approach.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:

I know what you were talking about and infrastructure is related to geography. However, if your life depends on cell phone data plans, then by all means, don't come back because it would not suit you.

How so? A network on the East coast is the same as a network on the West coast right? Are to saying that AT&T has a non-homogeneous network? What does this have to do with the pricing structure and the limiting of data? Your points sound a bit like marketing speak.

By the way my boss, Condi Rice via the OPM, makes the assignment determinations.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby

are (all) network operators this screwed up in the US?

Yes. \
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:

Based on this comment, I truly have to ask are network operators this screwed up in the US?. I currently live in Finland I can not recall within the last few years when I have not had "all I can eat" mobile data. I had it when GPRS hit, then 3G, now 3G HSDPA, will have it when 4G rolls out, etc.... I just can not fathom someone limiting your data. Are the networks that crappy that they can not handle the capacity? They are supposed to be IN. Able to prevision, self heal, etc.....

I have to say that moble interet in the USA aint all that bad. Most low end and medium hotels provide free wifi, so do many food joints and even some office supply stores. When I am being driven in a car - its convenient to be able to access the net. Sometimes I get to stay in remote parts of the country - and its inconvenient to drive downtown just to get or send a file. When I am in northern Europe, almost always he hotel want 10 to 15 euros for 24 net access!

It would limit data, but still be as useful if we could just 'sync' a couple of files with the iPhone, that could be attached and detached from regular email. As you know we cannot even edit word or excel documents. Its another thing I was able to do on a Treo650 & Verizon. Their coverage in the USA seemed faster and better than I experience with ATT..

Why suffer ATT - simply because in all other ways I can just 'use' my iPhone, without complications - and with an amazing browser experience.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

I have to say that moble interet in the USA aint all that bad. Most low end and medium hotels provide free wifi, so do many food joints and even some office supply stores. When I am being driven in a car - its convenient to be able to access the net. Sometimes I get to stay in remote parts of the country - and its inconvenient to drive downtown just to get or send a file. When I am in northern Europe, almost always he hotel want 10 to 15 euros for 24 net access!

It would limit data, but still be as useful if we could just 'sync' a couple of files with the iPhone, that could be attached and detached from regular email. As you know we cannot even edit word or excel documents. Its another thing I was able to do on a Treo650 & Verizon. Their coverage in the USA seemed faster and better than I experience with ATT..

Why suffer ATT - simply because in all other ways I can just 'use' my iPhone, without complications - and with an amazing browser experience.

Thanks for the comments, as well as ktappe.

I have to come back to the US on occasion for meetings, briefings, etc and can say that hotel Internet service is outstanding. However, the wireless service can be a real pain.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    While it?s true the U.S. lacks behind many other countries in wireless connectivity and speeds, we are hard wired beyond belief. The fiber optic FiOS footprint is growing rapidly in the U.S. where Americans spend a ton of time in their homes on their personal computers. We?re talking current download speeds of 50 Mbps. Is the fiber optic rollout happening for the rest of the world?

Each market currently has their pros and cons.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ramsey123 View Post

We’re talking current download speeds of 50 Mbps. Is the fiber optic rollout happening for the rest of the world?

It kind of happened a few years ago over here.

Granted, it doesn't cover anywhere near the majority of the population, but then some seem to prefer dial-up. Edit: 18% of all households.

/Adrian
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Quote:

How so? A network on the East coast is the same as a network on the West coast right? Are to saying that AT&T has a non-homogeneous network? What does this have to do with the pricing structure and the limiting of data? Your points sound a bit like marketing speak.

By the way my boss, Condi Rice via the OPM, makes the assignment determinations.

I don't see how your boss comes into this but...

Geography has to be tied to infrastructure. They have to have more towers to serve the population over greater area. Do you think it cost more or less to have, maintain, and improve infrastructure on new York or the Arizona desert?
  • Reply 31 of 49
    I have found it painful to find any true High Speed internet in my travels through Southeast Asia. In my mind I can imagine Japan, Singapore and Taiwan as being fiber optic tech folks at home, but around the world I couldn't fathom a guess at their high speed internet speeds. But there's a lot of pokey stuff still out there. I love my iPhone, but I'd choose spotty, pokey cell service over going back to slow home service any day.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Go to this URL and search for the terms "tether" and "GB" (no quotes obviously)...

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/me...al-notices.jsp

Nuf said.

I guess it's only wrong if you get caught!

I'm testing it later tonight. Beats the $50 per month ATT wants to charge you to get one of their 3G data cards with "unlimited" data.

For your convenience, I have posted excerpts from the ATT TOS.

Prohibited and Permissible Uses: Except as may otherwise be specifically permitted or prohibited for select data plans...

Furthermore, plans(unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/PDA-to computer accessories, Bluetooth® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose.

Accordingly, AT&T reserves the right to (i) deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited or whose usage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to its wireless network, including without limitation, after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage and (ii) otherwise protect its wireless network from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance, which may impact legitimate data flows. You may not send solicitations to AT&T's wireless subscribers without their consent. You may not use the Services other than as intended by AT&T and applicable law. Plans are for individual, non-commercial use only and are not for resale. AT&T may, but is not required to, monitor your compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers, with AT&T's terms, conditions, or policies.

PDA/BLACKBERRY PLANS WITH TETHERING

The parties agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month. Prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your service.

No specifics to iPhone data plans that I can find.

I used a similar added 5GB data limitation on Sprint's data plan to get 2 lines out of the TOS without early termination fees so I could get a couple of iPhone 3Gs... worked like a charm... final sprint was prorated at $6 with no termination fees whatsoever.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    +mimic+mimic Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

You really have to wonder why this wasn't included as default with the iPhone.. Apple being its usual restrictive self again.. as someone new to Apple, I think I actually hate them more than Microsoft. Their practices are totally anti consumer, and they really just rip you of for whatever they can get (cue: Apple fanboys defending Apple). The only thing that redeems them is they make such a good product, where Microsoft rarely does.

(cue: Apple fanboys defending Apple): Perhaps AT&T has this limit in their contract, therefore someone else had to provide it?
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Got it all setup a few minutes ago and it worked like a charm. This is SOO nice to have. Well worth the $10.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

I don't see how your boss comes into this but...

I guess he wants everyone to know his boss is Condi Rice, as if that were something to be proud of.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    dfoltzdfoltz Posts: 8member
    I went to the app store from my iPhone and clicked the links in this feed. iTunes says that it is not currently available in the US store. I would really like to have this app. I hope they bring it back and AT$T gets out of the way.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

I guess he wants everyone to know his boss is Condi Rice, as if that were something to be proud of.

Two with one stone on this.

I am not talking about the towers or MSC's or anything like but the core network. The OSS and BSS. These handle how the network performs. You can have a blazillion towers but if the core network is crap, then there will be crappy QoS, no self-healing this leading to bandwidth restrictions. Maybe I did not make myself clear earlier. Sorry for causing possible confusion.

Now aboutmy boss. I was explaining that I do not get to pick and choose my assignments. That is done for me via OPM via my boss. Sorry if the nuance was lost on you. I will strive to keep it simple next time.

This should clear up things now.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    Quote:

Two with one stone on this.

I am not talking about the towers or MSC's or anything like but the core network. The OSS and BSS. These handle how the network performs. You can have a blazillion towers but if the core network is crap, then there will be crappy QoS, no self-healing this leading to bandwidth restrictions. Maybe I did not make myself clear earlier. Sorry for causing possible confusion.

Now aboutmy boss. I was explaining that I do not get to pick and choose my assignments. That is done for me via OPM via my boss. Sorry if the nuance was lost on you. I will strive to keep it simple next time.

This should clear up things now.

The core network is infrastructure as well. If you are busy putting up thousands upon thousands of towers, do you think there is money left over to increase the bandwidth to support unlimited data transfers? You rob Peter to pay Paul, at least in AT&T's case. They have a budget and have to fit within it just like every business should. AT&T has to pick what matters are more important to them. More bars in more places, or to allow more faster data usage. One takes money from the other. So they are linked together forever until Federation Credits replace the US Dollar.

Your bosses reference was not lost on anyone. I think everyone is trying to figure out how Condoleezza Rice helped you form an opinion about cellular data download restrictions/limitations within AT&T's network.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfoltz View Post

I went to the app store from my iPhone and clicked the links in this feed. iTunes says that it is not currently available in the US store. I would really like to have this app. I hope they bring it back and AT$T gets out of the way.

I just did a search on this program from my iPhone. You are correct, it is gone again. I am glad I purchased the program when I did. I have yet to try it but I knew the second I read the article I had to download the program before it got whacked. I have been needing a teather, wireless is an extra, for those times when I need to send a file from my MacBook. At least since I can't login to MM from a phone to access my iDisk to email files (unless I am missing something).
  • Reply 40 of 49
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Right.

Because simply saying that your boss chooses your assignments for you would have confused everyone.