Ten step guide to sharing your iPhone's connection with NetShare

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hujib View Post

I have been trying for the last few hours to get this setup with no luck. I've been over the instructions many times and I'm sure I've got both the iPhone and my MacBook configured correctly. I'm on Fido's network in Canada and the phone is fine on the 3G network on it's own. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? I don't get any connected users in NetShare and I see no activity. NetShare also likes the crash.

... btw, with the iPhone set to use Wifi rather than the cellular network how does it use the cell network when this is working properly? \

You also need to make sure that WiFi on your Mac is the top item in the Network Preferences.

The Mac will be using WiFi when it's setup. The Mac's WiFi will conenct to your iPhone via WiFi and the iPhone will connect to the internet via the cellular network. It's relaying through the iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Quote:

I have been trying for the last few hours to get this setup with no luck. I've been over the instructions many times and I'm sure I've got both the iPhone and my MacBook configured correctly. I'm on Fido's network in Canada and the phone is fine on the 3G network on it's own. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? I don't get any connected users in NetShare and I see no activity. NetShare also likes the crash.

Things that messed me up the first few minutes of playing with this:

1) you can't let the phone go to sleep, NetShare must be the active program, and the autolock can't engage. This will KILL your battery fast! Drained mine 30% in less than 30 minutes. Plug the phone into the USB port for power while doing this.

2) On your proxy settings page, make sure that SOCKS is the only proxy selected, and that you're actually inputting the ip address of the iPhone into the SOCKS proxy box. (My first attempt I had FTP proxy selected as well, and the ip I entered was only going towards FTP, not the SOCKS we need.

3) Try rebooting your phone. I couldn't get a good connection between the laptop and the phone until I rebooted.

Good luck, it's fairly easy to get going and works well. I did some speed tests for comparison on my blog at: http://thedigitaldive.net/blog/?p=82
  • Reply 23 of 55
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Looks like iTunes US took it down again!!!!!

Plenty of carriers, especially ones with explicitly included download limits have no problem with tethering.

Apple may choose to make this App available in markets where the official carriers have no policy against tethering.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Nope. Gone .... Luckily I have jailbroken mine.

F*K AT&T
  • Reply 25 of 55
    joeyyyjoeyyy Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Nope. Gone .... Luckily I have jailbroken mine.

F*K AT&T

This is not surprising

I guess AT&T has plans to offer this as a monthly service for which you pay extra in addition to your data plan like Verizon does: http://b2b.vzw.com/productsservices/...ssconnect.html and like AT&T itself does with other phones: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...rry®+Services

In their minds you should pay extra for this as long as you do it
  • Reply 26 of 55
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhillyMJS View Post

...Personally, I think AT&T is just greedy for charging extra for tethering. Bits are bits, why does it matter which device is pulling them down?

Yes, AT&T is greedy. And lame.

Having said that, the reason it matters which device is pulling the data is that users can be expected to consume considerably more bandwidth on a fast notebook computer with large display and ample storage space than on a mobile phone with a more limited processor, small screen, and limited storage space.

iPhone users will be checking email, browsing websites, and occasionally downloading iPhone apps and songs (with Apple/ATT making a cut).

Notebook users will be doing all of the above, plus accessing things like Flash-heavy sites, P2P, large streaming videos, remote desktop access, large application downloads, etc. If tethering was unrestricted and free, many people would use it as a primary internet connection.

What I don't understand is why AT&T refuses to offer an added-cost tethering option for iPhone users. That makes no sense.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Plenty of carriers, especially ones with explicitly included download limits have no problem with tethering.

Apple may choose to make this App available in markets where the official carriers have no policy against tethering.

They have no problem with tethering in itself, but AFIAK, they do charge more to enable/allow that type of use. It would probably be another $20-$40/mo added to the contract.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

They have no problem with tethering in itself, but AFIAK, they do charge more to enable/allow that type of use. It would probably be another $20-$40/mo added to the contract.

I'd happily pay $20 for unlimited high speed tethering. But knowing AT&T, I think $60 would be more likely, along with monthly data limits.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Can't they go one step further and make it so you can surf the net and talk at the same time?

Send a file to your boss while you're talking to him.

If this app can do that, then it's cool.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Posting using netshare right now. Pretty nice. Close to the speed of cheap DSL. Waiting to use extensively until we hear the horror stories of people getting booted out of their contracts for TOS violation and data over usage.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    The issues I was experiencing had something to do with the order of network services in the System Prefs, as someone suggested. Rebooting the iJesus also helped.

Download: 929kb/s

Upload: 288kb/s

I'm on Fido in Canada. (Listed as Rogers Cable in the speed test )
  • Reply 32 of 55
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Can't they go one step further and make it so you can surf the net and talk at the same time?

No background processes allowed... unless Apple would like to step up and offer their own solution.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Well so for the app doesn't want to function for me. I used tiny proxy on my first gen iphone and it worked easily. For whatever reason this one doesnt. I think Appleinsider is missing a few steps. Anyone have a COMPLETE walk through maybe on video. Youtube is lacking so far.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcassara View Post

I'd bet the farm AT&T will pressure Apple to remove this app -- permanently. Then comes the class-action suit against both.

I'm not putting away my 3G USB dongle just yet...

Or - if you're convinced that will happen (which I guarantee you AT&T isn't going to sue Apple, you might as well sue your wife because the meat she bought had some gristle in it) why not just buy the app. They aren't going to go onto your computer and forcibly remove the App from your computer! And even if they do Apple will just issue a refund...
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walkerdarin2003 View Post

Well so for the app doesn't want to function for me. I used tiny proxy on my first gen iphone and it worked easily. For whatever reason this one doesnt. I think Appleinsider is missing a few steps. Anyone have a COMPLETE walk through maybe on video. Youtube is lacking so far.

Did you try the turning off Wi-Fi, going to Safari, let it start to load a page then go back and turn on Wi-Fi and then open up NetShare? That was the problem I was having. If the iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi it won't use EDGE/3G so you need to get something loading and then launch NetShare.

Of course if that also doesn't work I'm not sure what to tell ya :/
  • Reply 36 of 55
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    "Your request could not be completed.

The item you've requested is not currently available in the [insert European country of your choice] Store."

Is this just here, or are other people getting the same message?
  • Reply 37 of 55
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

"Your request could not be completed.

The item you've requested is not currently available in the [insert European country of your choice] Store."

Is this just here, or are other people getting the same message?

Not available in the US store when I checked several hours ago.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:

No background processes allowed... unless Apple would like to step up and offer their own solution.

Hmmm...it should work. you're supposed to be able to talk and use 3G at the same time (not EDGE, though). The phone will run in background while you load up the NetShare app and do it.

I'll try to test it out if no one else does.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:

The issues I was experiencing had something to do with the order of network services in the System Prefs, as someone suggested. Rebooting the iJesus also helped.

Download: 929kb/s

Upload: 288kb/s

I'm on Fido in Canada. (Listed as Rogers Cable in the speed test )

You're getting much faster uploads than I did in my testing, though I'm a bit faster on the download side.

I did some comparison of EDGE and 3G tethered with the iPhone, and then my Sprint CDMA card. Results posted on my blog at: http://thedigitaldive.net/blog/?p=82
  • Reply 40 of 55
    I can surf the web fine but I can't get any of my email accounts to work. I have three of them on different servers. I use Entourage for two and Apple Mail for the third. All of them give me strange errors. Can anyone send/receive email?