Chinese blog claims photos of Apple's next-gen 13-inch MacBooks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    nacnudnacnud Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

It doesn't look off center... it is off center.

You can use the corners to align the dimensions properly.

A quick play with paint and perspective and you can see why I think it is centred. Draw a line following each edge until they meet at the vanishing point and the draw a third line back down through the webcam and it crosses the MacBook logo at the B.

I would post a pic but I can't see how
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Why the obsession with aluminum? As far as environmentally friendly, it doesn't matter what you MAKE it from if it ends up in the trash heap. Computers should have an environmental deposit, just like pop cans. Maybe $50 or so. Then, no matter what, you can always send it back to Apple (or the recycling warehouse) and get $50, and know that it is actually being recycled.

Has anyone recycled a computer? I've re-used, given away, etc... but I know in the end they eventually end up in a box in the basement, or in the dump.

As neat as aluminum is, I just can't see it making $ense to pay someone to dismantle an iMac, iBook or whatever, for the 10 cents of aluminum they are made of.

I like aluminum for its looks and durability. Environmental? Maybe if they made a bamboo shell that would be very 'green'.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nacnud View Post

A quick play with paint and perspective and you can see why I think it is centred. Draw a line following each edge until they meet at the vanishing point and the draw a third line back down through the webcam and it crosses the MacBook logo at the B.

I would post a pic but I can't see how

This forum doesn't have image hosting turned on, but does allow image linking.

You need to post it to a web host (your own web space) or an image host (flckr, photobucket, picasa web), and then link to it.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post

Why the obsession with aluminum? As far as environmentally friendly, it doesn't matter what you MAKE it from if it ends up in the trash heap.

In a way, yes, but if it take less energy and resources to make, then it would be a good thing. But I don't know if it's true of aluminum compared to the plastics Apple uses.

Apple's polycarbonate-clad cases were said to be extremely durable. It seems early impossible to dent or shatter that plastic. But it seems that Apple may have moved away from polycarbonate.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    nacnudnacnud Posts: 20member
    Al is green because it is easy to recycle, the idea is you wouldn't throw it in landfill. Producing it requires a lot of energy. I've taken computers to the dump to be recycled before.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Wow. Aluminum. That's so 2003. The black PowerBook G3 looked cool. The black MacBook looks cool. If they drop the black MacBook for an outdated aluminum enclosure, that would be a mistake. If the new MacBook looks exactly like the MacBook Pro's Aluminum enclosure, that won't be a new design since it has been in use since 2003. It will be another boring silver laptop.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Wow. Aluminum. That's so 2003. The black PowerBook G3 looked cool. The black MacBook looks cool. If they drop the black MacBook for an outdated aluminum enclosure, that would be a mistake. If the new MacBook looks exactly like the MacBook Pro's Aluminum enclosure, that won't be a new design since it has been in use since 2003. It will be another boring silver laptop.

You compare a material to a colour as if they are the same thing while also implying that a 2003 is more outdated than 1997, when the black G3 PB was first released. Is that argument supposed to make sense or are you being facetious?

An aluminium MB won't look exactly like the MBP because it will smaller and have less ports. If aesthetics is the most important thing to you and you don't like silver then you should not buy a MB or you should get it anodized (assuming they go that route), but chances are they would offer colours like with the iPod Nanos if they do go aluminium for the new MB case designs as Apple would want their higher-end machines to stand apart and it would probably be a good marketing to have a variety of colours for the most popular notebook model type sold in the US.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Yes, because what you're asking for is another boring black laptop. Nice hypocrisy you have going there.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Quote:

Has anyone recycled a computer? I've re-used, given away, etc... but I know in the end they eventually end up in a box in the basement, or in the dump.

I've recycled every computer I've ever owned. Sometimes the city where I live has an electronics recycling day, sometimes I've found companies who do this and there's always a Best Buy who will recycle computers and cellphones, just drop it off.

Can't really figure out why you wouldn't. Giving them to someone to use would be the first choice, but it doesn't have to end up in a landfill, necessarily.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    So if Apple does come out with a new MBP case similar to the mac book air, does that mean we'll no longer have a DVD/CD drive? I hope not...
  • Reply 31 of 53
    wildagwildag Posts: 21member
    deleted for my stupidity... but seriously, AI needs to put a label on their "comparison" pictures. (or at least a picture title).
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wildag View Post

So here's proof they are fake...

The very first picture of the screen says "MacBook Air" .... right under the wire.

http://images.appleinsider.com/macbook-080804-2.jpg

That is because AI is showing you the breakdown of the MBA for comparison to the other images above.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    wildagwildag Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is because AI is showing you the breakdown of the MBA for comparison to the other images above.

... good point. Didn't read that scentence above.... whooops!

• Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:

Why the obsession with aluminum? As far as environmentally friendly, it doesn't matter what you MAKE it from if it ends up in the trash heap. Computers should have an environmental deposit, just like pop cans. Maybe $50 or so. Then, no matter what, you can always send it back to Apple (or the recycling warehouse) and get $50, and know that it is actually being recycled.

As neat as aluminum is, I just can't see it making $ense to pay someone to dismantle an iMac, iBook or whatever, for the 10 cents of aluminum they are made of.

I like aluminum for its looks and durability. Environmental? Maybe if they made a bamboo shell that would be very 'green'.

Apple is going in that direction.

http://www.apple.com/environment/rec...ram/index.html

Check it out.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    xc3llxc3ll Posts: 30member
    I've seen quite a bit of discussion over whether or not the Apple Logo is centered in that one pic or not. Since no one else has done the work, I did. Here's what I came up with (sorry its shitty, I had to use GIMP, I'm a PSer).

As you can see, simple Geometry shows us that according to the edge shown in the photo, the Apple is not centered. Now, also using some simple Geometry, I extracted where the edge would really have to be(black line), since some people believe that the styrofoam sheet is covering the true edge.

To see whether or not the size of the Apple product is within range of the current macbook, I measured the size of Apple and compared it to the width of the shell. I came up with a ratio of 0.085 (divide the size of the apple by size of the outside shell). I did the same with a picture of the Macbook from Apple's website(the one of the black and white apple next to eachother (go to apple.com/macbook/ )). I did the same math, and I got 0.092. A difference of ~10%. Considering the fair amount of guesswork and nasty GIMP work, I would say that this is well within standard deviance. So, it could really be that the stryafoam is covering the true edge

The only other problem, however, is that this would have to be the top shell, since the current macbook does not have a apple logo on the bottom. If this is the top shell though, it does not fit the other pictures, which do not reveal sloping edges found on this picture.

Therefore, the only question left is, which part of the shell is this, and if it is indeed the top, can anyone resolve the discrepency between the pictures?
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xc3ll View Post

As you can see, simple Geometry shows us that according to the edge shown in the photo, the Apple is not centered.

That Apple intersects with that same spot on my Macs.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    xc3llxc3ll Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That Apple intersects with that same spot on my Macs.

Well that's if you believe that some of the image is covered. I found that if this is true, then the Apple logo's size and placement are correct.

That doesn;t resolve the discrepancy in the photos I discussed in my previous post:

Quote:

....this would have to be the top shell, since the current macbook does not have a apple logo on the bottom. If this is the top shell though, it does not fit the other pictures, which do not reveal sloping edges found on this picture.

Just found this:

Looks like this was a MBA with the air PSed out.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:

Well that's if you believe that some of the image is covered. I found that if this is true, then the Apple logo's size and placement are correct.

That doesn;t resolve the discrepancy in the photos I discussed in my previous post:

Just found this:

Looks like this was a MBA with the air PSed out.

That's poor drawing. Check these:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3021/...31bc6d40_o.png

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....5&d=1217893598

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....7&d=1217888854

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....2&d=1217882237
  • Reply 39 of 53
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    Quote:

There is no discrepancy if you realize that we're only looking at the top shell and there are no pics of the bottom. The reason you can't determine if there is any tapering on the "inside" images is that you can see that the outer bezel extends down beyond the hinges. With how the pics have been taken, you're looking too top/down to notice any curve of the bezel on the "outside" of the shell.

And frankly, it would be smarter for Apple to use a design similar to that of the MBA for the next MB because it lowers both design and manufacturing costs. I would expect some degree of color to be introduced to distinguish the MB from the rest of the product line, but completely different designs is simply less practical given the pressures already being placed on Apple's share price.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I'm not gonna weigh in on if these are real or not, but I've got say a lot of these comments remind me of when the "fatboy" nano was leaked. "Off center, poor photoshopping" and stuff like that was thrown around for quite a while. Maybe these are prototypes, the design could still be bang on.