Chinese blog claims photos of Apple's next-gen 13-inch MacBooks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    xc3llxc3ll Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

There is no discrepancy if you realize that we're only looking at the top shell and there are no pics of the bottom. The reason you can't determine if there is any tapering on the "inside" images is that you can see that the outer bezel extends down beyond the hinges. With how the pics have been taken, you're looking too top/down to notice any curve of the bezel on the "outside" of the shell.

On the contrary, the discrepancy is very readily apparent.

In the pictures facing up (where you can read Macbook), the bottom has no tapering.It goes straight down (well, there might be tapering, but that's besides the point-I'll explain why next).

In the pictures facing down(where you see the Apple Logo), its very apparent that the same side is tapered all the way (which makes any tapering on the 1st picture a non issue). We also see that the sytrofoam is flush against the end of the taper.

For the 1st picture to be correct, the 2nd one would have to some sort of flat edge protuding out,

Is my reasoning correct on this? I believe it is. If I'm missing something though, please lemme know.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Eh. I'm going to go out on a (short) limb and say they're real.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I'm going to say fake, for the following reasons:

1. the lid is identical to the current MacBook Air lid - I would expect to see some differences, even tiny tiny differences.

2. the 'MacBook' is off-centre, commensurate with where it would be if it said 'MacBook Air'.

You could argue that Apple might use exactly the same lid as the MacBook Air in order to keep cost down, and you could argue that the 'MacBook' being of centre is simply a result of the angle/lens distortion ? but I think there is a stronger argument that if you wanted to fake it then shooting an existing MacBook Air and Photoshopping it this is the laziest way to do it.

Fake.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

If they drop the black MacBook for an outdated aluminum enclosure, that would be a mistake.

One of the reasons my district said they went with a competing brand was because the MacBook wasn't metal.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neil Anderson View Post

One of the reasons my district said they went with a competing brand was because the MacBook wasn't metal.

What brand did they choose?
  • Reply 46 of 53
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xc3ll View Post

On the contrary, the discrepancy is very readily apparent.

In the pictures facing up (where you can read Macbook), the bottom has no tapering.It goes straight down (well, there might be tapering, but that's besides the point-I'll explain why next).

In the pictures facing down(where you see the Apple Logo), its very apparent that the same side is tapered all the way (which makes any tapering on the 1st picture a non issue). We also see that the sytrofoam is flush against the end of the taper.

For the 1st picture to be correct, the 2nd one would have to some sort of flat edge protuding out,

Is my reasoning correct on this? I believe it is. If I'm missing something though, please lemme know.

I'm rather confused as to what the heck you're actually talking about now, you complain about the tapering, try to disprove me, then say its a non-issue either way?

As I said already, all of the pictures are of the same part, the lid. The first pic is the outer part of the casing and all of the rest appear to be the same pic of the inside blown up at different levels to see the words MacBook. Again, there is absolutely no issue when it comes to the tapering of the outside as you just can tell that its there when looking at the other three pics. If you want proof to support that, just look at the later pic of the MBA lid lying in a similar position. You should well know that the outer edges of the MBA taper, but you can't tell that from the first pic of the MBA shown in the post. Essentially, you're either blind or really missing the point here.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    [QUOTE=floccus;1290641As I said already, all of the pictures are of the same part, the lid. The first pic is the outer part of the casing and all of the rest appear to be the same pic of the inside blown up at different levels to see the words MacBook. Again, there is absolutely no issue when it comes to the tapering of the outside as you just can tell that its there when looking at the other three pics. If you want proof to support that, just look at the later pic of the MBA lid lying in a similar position. You should well know that the outer edges of the MBA taper, but you can't tell that from the first pic of the MBA shown in the post. Essentially, you're either blind or really missing the point here.[/QUOTE]

Ok, to help illustrate my point better, I'm going to put the pics here.

1st pic, of the top face down.

Look along the bottom edge (the edge closest from the bottom of the apple). It is flush to whatever it is being rested upon. Also notice the flleting(rounding of the edges) is the same around all the sides of the case.

This proves that there could be no lip, shown in the other pictures. If there were, you would see a flat edge facing you (I think you may believe that the edge in contention to be flat--it's not so, it's merely an illusion caused by the flash).

If you still don't understand my argument, I'll model the piece in 3d for you.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xc3ll View Post

Look along the bottom edge (the edge closest from the bottom of the apple). It is flush to whatever it is being rested upon. Also notice the flleting(rounding of the edges) is the same around all the sides of the case.

This proves that there could be no lip, shown in the other pictures. If there were, you would see a flat edge facing you (I think you may believe that the edge in contention to be flat--it's not so, it's merely an illusion caused by the flash).

If you still don't understand my argument, I'll model the piece in 3d for you.

Firstly, I would love for you to model this in 3D, if only because you have time to waste to do such things.

Second, you're assuming that you can tell that the lid is flush against the surface that its sitting on. From my perspective, which is in fact the same as your own perspective since we're looking at the same picture, you can see a bit of a shadow where the bottom right edge of the casing meets the surface its sitting on. This implies that that corner is raised above the surface, as it would be from what you can tell from the inside. If you go further along the bottom, that shadow disappears because of the flash, which makes you think that the lid is flush against the surface. BUT, as you start from that bottom right, you can still see the shadow even when the reflection off the case begins. This implies that there is indeed a lip.

Third, I can't see why you would be so bothered and not accept that its the same part in all four pics.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I no longer care to look at these types of pics, on any Apple product really. Real or fake? I couldn't care. Let me know when it's on the Apple store.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

Firstly, I would love for you to model this in 3D, if only because you have time to waste to do such things.

Second, you're assuming that you can tell that the lid is flush against the surface that its sitting on. From my perspective, which is in fact the same as your own perspective since we're looking at the same picture, you can see a bit of a shadow where the bottom right edge of the casing meets the surface its sitting on. This implies that that corner is raised above the surface, as it would be from what you can tell from the inside. If you go further along the bottom, that shadow disappears because of the flash, which makes you think that the lid is flush against the surface. BUT, as you start from that bottom right, you can still see the shadow even when the reflection off the case begins. This implies that there is indeed a lip.

Third, I can't see why you would be so bothered and not accept that its the same part in all four pics.

I honestly don't think it is. I believe that the first pic is that of a MBA lid. The others may be real MB cases, or photoshopped.

Look at the size of the Macbook lettering in comparison with the size of the adjacent lip. The lip is slightly larger than the large M. I don't have a macbook infront of me, but I would venture to say that the Macbook lettering is ~0.25 in (~ 6mm). I would then venture to say that the lip itself is probably upwards of 3/8 in (< 1cm). This large of a distance could not be justified by the presence of a shadow. I could agree with at most a lip of 2mm.

You know... I might just have to model this in 3d. It'd be like CSI, lol.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I no longer care to look at these types of pics, on any Apple product really. Real or fake? I couldn't care. Let me know when it's on the Apple store.

I agree. What a waste of time, arguing over whether lettering is centered or not. Yawn.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I agree. What a waste of time, arguing over whether lettering is centered or not. Yawn.

It's really a matter of perspective here. Most things in life are a waste of time in one sense or another. I'm sure you're interested in stuff that would bore a lot of other people.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

Yeah, it looks kinda fake but I would love a 13in aluminum Macbook(Pro), just put a real GPU in it and snow leopard for next years back to school and I am all over this!

Then a MBA is for you! Unless you want a real screen, then it is the MBP. This is the problem in the 13" size; investing in a Display for the home/dorm desktop will give that big screen; I tend to like a desktop base station and a portable for class or research work. I thought I would hate the Air, but I now use my MBP 17 a LOT less...