Commonly misused words and phrases

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    mark wmark w Posts: 13member
    My favourites are when people say:

- Brought instead of bought and vice versa.

- Generally instead of genuinely and vice versa.

- i.e. instead of e.g. and vice versa.
  • Reply 42 of 91
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I like i.e. vs. e.g. because I had at least a year of latin. I like how people like to use a proiri in scientific text a lot. To me it has a specific statistical meaning but often authors like to use it to mean "we had information before we got started". Most people do.
  • Reply 43 of 91
    "I Love You"
  • Reply 44 of 91
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    This morning while watching CBC's coverage of the Beijing olympics I heard the anchor use the word "winningest". I was not eloquent enough to be able to express my disgust in any of the languages I speak.

I first heard this word used by some American TV commentator with respect to some American race-car driver. I remember thinking then that I should forgive this man because he was American and did not know any better; but when I heard it on CBC I had trouble containing myself.

I was told that CBC is modelled after BBC when it comes to grammar and pronunciation. One will never hear such mangling of English on BBC.

Cheers

*Edited for punctuation
  • Reply 45 of 91
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

"I Love You"

Ahaha
  • Reply 46 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt View Post

This morning while watching CBC's coverage of the Beijing olympics I heard the anchor use the word "winningest". I was not eloquent enough to be able to express my disgust in any of the languages I speak.

I first heard this word used by some American TV commentator with respect to some American race-car driver. I remember thinking then that I should forgive this man because he was American and did not know any better; but when I heard it on CBC I had trouble containing myself.

I was told that CBC is modelled after BBC when it comes to grammar and pronunciation. One will never hear such mangling of English on BBC.

Cheers

*Edited for punctuation

There is nothing wrong with winningest. Most winning sounds weird.
  • Reply 47 of 91
    Do you guys say "take a decision" or "make a decision"?
  • Reply 48 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

do you guys say "take a decision" or "make a decision"?

make.
  • Reply 49 of 91
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

This morning while watching CBC's coverage of the Beijing olympics I heard the anchor use the word "winningest". ... One will never hear such mangling of English on BBC.

I'm nearly positive I heard that exact word with respect to Michael Phelps on BBC Radio this morning. Sorry.
  • Reply 50 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

I'm nearly positive I heard that exact word with respect to Michael Phelps on BBC Radio this morning. Sorry.

If BBC has started to use such terms, it is the beginning of the end

Cheers
  • Reply 51 of 91
    Quote:

If BBC has started to use such terms, it is the beginning of the end

Cheers

It's the beginning of the end when you punctuate your sentences with emoticons.
  • Reply 52 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

It's the beginning of the end when you punctuate your sentences with emoticons.

I don't know what to say other than mea culpa.

Cheers
  • Reply 53 of 91
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    "cut the mustard"

I think it's the bastard cousin of

Cutting muster.

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/mustard.html

and the funniest mistakes.

"hahah looks like he cut off his nose despite his face" (cutting off ones nose to spite their face)

"french benefits" (Fringe benefits)

'hopefully it will peak your interest" (if that piques your interest)
  • Reply 54 of 91
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I am obliged to once again pay homage to the greatest malapropism it was ever my privilege to hear, a gaffe so lovely that I have ever since endeavored to use it at every opportunity:

"Monkey up the waters."
  • Reply 55 of 91
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I am obliged to once again pay homage to the greatest malapropism it was ever my privilege to hear, a gaffe so lovely that I have ever since endeavored to use it at every opportunity:

"Monkey up the waters."

Jesus, Adda. It's not rocket surgery. Don't reinvent the dead horse and go monkeying up the waters.
  • Reply 56 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Jesus, Adda. It's not rocket surgery. Don't reinvent the dead horse and go monkeying up the waters.

Yes! Yes! It's mucus to my ears!
  • Reply 57 of 91
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Meh. It's a mute point, irregardless.
  • Reply 58 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Meh. It's a mute point, irregardless.

You're right, for all intensive purposes. But what are you going to do? It's a doggy dog world.
  • Reply 59 of 91
    Quote:

There's an old saying in Tennessee ? I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee ? that says, fool me once, shame on ? shame on you. Fool me ? you can't get fooled again.
  • Reply 60 of 91
    One people often get wrong is "with a grain of salt" where they try to exaggerate it and say "a big grain of salt". The idiom is saying that all that's needed is a single grain of salt so adding more salt doesn't help emphasize the point. If fact going the other way would be more correct I would think, "you don't need a gain of salt ..."