Over 100 bug fixes baked into Apple's Mac OS X 10.5.5 Update

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OptionTrader View Post

No reason to pretend. They don't exist. I find it amusing how people think their problems are widespread and AAPL is ignoring them. We are at 10.5.4. That means there have been four maintenance releases to Leopard. If something as 'serious' as your USB issue, for example, was as prevalent as you assert, it would certainly have been corrected by now.

Sounds like your problems are between the seat and the keyboard.

Pure BS.

No, it is a real problem. Just because you have not encountered it does not mean that it is not real.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    It would be nice if Apple would finally fix the airport problems in Leopard. It's reached the point that I now steer people away from Apple notebooks because the wireless is not reliable.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Squid View Post

It would be nice if Apple would finally fix the airport problems in Leopard. It's reached the point that I now steer people away from Apple notebooks because the wireless is not reliable.

A: Have you filed the scenarios, test cases and resulting outcomes as bugs with Apple?

B: Are you under any NDA with Apple?

C: If you haven't done either you are wasting your time and anyone else's time just complaining about it.

D: I fall under B: and file bugs as they occur from the Systems level to the Developer level.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Pure BS indeed... Next!

How do you know?

I too have some curious but fortunately not serious issue with USB on a Leopard Macbook. It transfers data around 3 times as slow as in a WinXP laptop. Both are supposed to have USB 2.0 ports. So...
  • Reply 45 of 51
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Which Airport problems? I had/have zero issues with that from the Panther era until today.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

A: Have you filed the scenarios, test cases and resulting outcomes as bugs with Apple?

B: Are you under any NDA with Apple?

C: If you haven't done either you are wasting your time and anyone else's time just complaining about it.

D: I fall under B: and file bugs as they occur from the Systems level to the Developer level.

A: Yes, I have. I have also spent hours on the phone with Apple over it. Apple's response has been that I need to update the firmware on my wireless router. They never explained how I am supposed to do that for wireless networks that I o not control, such as the one in my local coffee shop.

B: That is not relevant. Apple should be considering all bug reports, not just those from registered developers.

The airport problem occurs even on notebooks that are straight out of the box. It is a real problem. It is too bad that Apple (and many fan boys) seem to think that problems that they have not personally encountered do not exist.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

A: Yes, I have.

B: That is not relevant. Apple should be considering all bug reports, not just those from registered developers.

If you're not a registered developer, then you cannot possibly have filed a bug report with Apple. Your answer to "B" therefore suggests your answer to "A" is incorrect.

You can become a registered developer for free (scroll down to "ADC online membership") and then you can file proper bug reports here.

Quote:

The airport problem occurs even on notebooks that are straight out of the box. It is a real problem. It is too bad that Apple (and many fan boys) seem to think that problems that they have not personally encountered do not exist.

Agreed.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    [QUOTE=Mr. H;1292412]If you're not a registered developer, then you cannot possibly have filed a bug report with Apple. Your answer to "B" therefore suggests your answer to "A" is incorrect.

It depends on what you consider a bug report to be. I am not a registered developer, but I have talked to people at Apple about this problem, and provided various diagnostic information. This may not be a formal bug report, but that is more a mater of semantics than anything. The end result has always been me being told that this is not Apple's problem. If Apple is only taking bug reports seriously if they come from registered developers then the company has a very serious problem.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

It depends on what you consider a bug report to be.

I consider a bug report to be a report that details step-by-step how to reproduce unexpected behaviour in a piece of software, where said report is logged in an official bug-tracking database and is subsequently reviewed by software engineers.

Quote:

This may not be a formal bug report, but that is more a mater of semantics than anything.

No, it's much more than semantics. If you think your "bug reports" have got anywhere close to Apple's software engineering teams, you are sadly mistaken.

Quote:

If Apple is only taking bug reports seriously if they come from registered developers then the company has a very serious problem.

I must disagree. The fact of the matter is, the majority of problems reported to Apple via standard "customer service" routes are a case of PEBKAC, and Apple just doesn't have the manpower available to treat each one like a bug report. They probably have a system in place to monitor problems being reported, and if some threshold is reached, they perform further investigation. For example, perhaps if 500 people call shortly after a software patch has been released, all complaining of the same problem, that problem will then be further investigated. However, if just one person calls with an issue, even if they provide perfect details of how to reproduce the problem, I'm 100% confident that that won't be converted into a bug report on Apple's "Radar" database.

However, luckily for you there is a way around this problem: register for free and submit a real bug report. I wish you luck in your endeavours as better wireless networking would benefit many people. Just be sure to follow the bug reporting guidelines and refrain from any "I can't believe this is still a problem..." or "you suck..." type comments (not saying that I judge you, Mr Squid, to be the kind of character who would do such a thing, just making the comment for the general readership).
  • Reply 50 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What version of Xcode are you testing on?

The version that shipped with Leopard, although this problem isn't specific to xCode.

It's caused by the Leopard version of Spotlight.

More info:

http://www.betalogue.com/2008/05/30/...-bug/#comments
  • Reply 51 of 51
    I bought a new MacBook (2.4 GHz Intel) running OS X 10.5.5 on my way out of the country on travel. I was hoping to use the many USB devices I had bought and tested on my trusty 1 GHz Aluminum 12" PowerBook. The reason for my purchase was my optical drive went out days before I left and I tried to replace it myself and broke one connector off the motherboard (power to the lcd screen).

Anyway on my 12" PowerBook I could:

mount my Cannon camera as a USB drive.

mount my AMOD GPS logger as a USB drive (for photo location information).

charge my Keyspan USB skype phone.

Now, on my NEW MacBook I can do none of these things.

The phone works fine, but will not charge (so now I need to buy/carry a USB charger).

The Cannon camera will not mount, so I must remove the SD card and use a USB reader.

Ironically, both of the above use the USB port, so it sort-of works.

I currently have no work-around for getting my GSP data off my AMOD logger.

All these things worked as expected and easily before I upgraded to a new $1500 PowerBook running OS X 10.5.5.

Very frustrating to say the least.