Over 100 bug fixes baked into Apple's Mac OS X 10.5.5 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
For the second time in as many weeks, Apple has handed developers a new pre-release build of an upcoming maintenance and security release for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and asked that they spend the weekend testing the software.

Mac OS X 10.5.5 build 9F9 comes exactly one week after the Mac maker began widespread testing of Leopard update by privately distributed build 9F5 to its vast developer community.

Since then, the Cupertino-based company has implemented two dozen additional code corrections to bring the total number of bug fixes expected as part of Mac OS X 10.5.5 to more than 100, people familiar with the latest build say.

Among the more notable resolutions were fixes to Address Book printing, out-of-order replies and display problems with Mail app IMAP accounts, and syncing issues with both Address Book and iCal.

Those with knowledge of the ongoing beta test say Apple is also using build 9F9 to broaden developers' focus area from 18 core system components to 24. Some additions from last week's build include Directory Services, Fonts, mDNSResponder, Screen Sharing, and X11.

Unlike the previous build, however, Apple is no longer advising developers to abstain from installing the pre-release software on Macs that include integrated graphics cards.

Mac OS X 10.5.5 is presumed for a release by October, at which point it is expected to ship with support for a new generation of Macs that will include redesigned MacBook and MacBook Pro notebooks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Seems as though Apple has stepped up the pace. 10.5.3 was released at the end of May followed by 10.5.4 a little over a month later.

Bring on Snow Leopard
  • Reply 2 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Among the more notable resolutions were fixes to.... syncing issues with both Address Book and iCal.

• Reply 3 of 51
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    10.5.x could firm up to being a very nice distro. At least I'm hoping so as it is working well for me now, making it better is just icing on the cake.

While Apple is saying that Snow Leopard is a minor update with little being exposed to the user I'm still worried. A lot of things will change under the hood and frankly I see compatibility problems. What Apple needs to do is to publicly go on record that 10.5.xx will be supported for X number of years until Snow Leopard is solid and well supported by developers. Sort of like Ubuntu's long term supported releases.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 51
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Please apple, fix the dam x11 openGL linking bugs!!!

• Reply 5 of 51
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    October seems pessimistic - seems likely that we'll either get it before the end of this month or perhaps around the special event at the beginning of September (I'm saying the 9th!) Apple don't generally take two months for a release like this.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

October seems pessimistic - seems likely that we'll either get it before the end of this month or perhaps around the special event at the beginning of September (I'm saying the 9th!)

Are you picking Sept. 9th because it's not just a Tuesday as Apple is wont to use for product intros, but because it's the day before the Large Hadron Collider is first tested?
  • Reply 7 of 51
    I wonder if Apple has managed to fix all the case of the disappearing RSS feeds in Mail. Half the time I launch Mail, my RSS feeds don't show up. The other half they don't update.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    [QUOTE=wizard69;1291089]While Apple is saying that Snow Leopard is a minor update with little being exposed to the user I'm still worried. A lot of things will change under the hood and frankly I see compatibility problems. What Apple needs to do is to publicly go on record that 10.5.xx will be supported for X number of years until Snow Leopard is solid and well supported by developers. Sort of like Ubuntu's long term supported releases./QUOTE]

I don't believe Apple ever said Leopard was going to be a minor release. They said they weren't going to concentrate on "gee-whiz" features but rather focus on the core foundations of the OS. That is not a minor undertaking. I'm also not sure I understand what you're talking about when you "supported by developers" ? It's not like your Tiger, or Leopard apps won't run under Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Well I hope this fixes the nearly weekly instances where the apps on my MacBook Pro start to run slowly and then as I start closing out apps in the hope of finding the culprit it just freezes and I have to power-off and restart.

I used to leave my G4 Powerbook going for at least a month at a time under Tiger. I'm starting to feel like I'm running Windows on here where I need to reboot regularly just to keep the system stable.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Dear Steve Jobs,

my iPHONE has become increasingly unstable with the invention of Apps. seems to me you're speeding full force into a brick wall. Apple taking on too much all at once??
  • Reply 11 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

Dear Steve Jobs,

my iPHONE has become increasingly unstable with the invention of Apps. seems to me you're speeding full force into a brick wall. Apple taking on too much all at once??

Patience, at least you didn't drop your iPhone and crack the screen.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I wonder if Apple has managed to fix all the case of the disappearing RSS feeds in Mail. Half the time I launch Mail, my RSS feeds don't show up. The other half they don't update.

Ditto, I don't use RSS in mail anymore because I became tired of inconsistent feed updates.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Does anyone using the new build know what the screen sharing bug fixes are?

My issue is with dual monitors and screen sharing. When switching screens (not seeing both at once), the screen is "covered" with the previous screen until you click all around the page.

If anyone has a fix or if you see 10.5.5 fix this, please post. Thanks!
  • Reply 14 of 51
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Seems to me like they should have 'baked' all these bug fixes in to 10.5.0
  • Reply 15 of 51
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Seems to me like they should have 'baked' all these bug fixes in to 10.5.0

You don't write software for a living do you?
  • Reply 16 of 51
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    [QUOTE=mjtomlin;1291101]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

While Apple is saying that Snow Leopard is a minor update with little being exposed to the user I'm still worried. A lot of things will change under the hood and frankly I see compatibility problems. What Apple needs to do is to publicly go on record that 10.5.xx will be supported for X number of years until Snow Leopard is solid and well supported by developers. Sort of like Ubuntu's long term supported releases./QUOTE]

I don't believe Apple ever said Leopard was going to be a minor release. They said they weren't going to concentrate on "gee-whiz" features but rather focus on the core foundations of the OS. That is not a minor undertaking. I'm also not sure I understand what you're talking about when you "supported by developers" ? It's not like your Tiger, or Leopard apps won't run under Snow Leopard.

To the contrary, from what I'm hearing many apps simply won't be able to make use of the new features in Snow Leopard. Thus it will take sometime for developers to support the new features in their apps. That is if they even can. I do not equate some of the proposed update ideas as simple under the hood tweaks. In many ways it will be a major up heaval.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    tomozjtomozj Posts: 54member
    Still nothing for those who have issues with ejecting? I'm not ready to reinstall over a bug that shouldn't be there in the first place.. I'm not the only one who's experiencing this bug. What's taken Apple so long? I guess they can't reproduce it or some shit.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    hopefully the fixed the glitch in the dock that makes it go SUPER REFLECTIVE once in awhile
  • Reply 19 of 51
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    tomozjtomozj Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I'm curious now, what bug?

Sebastian

Most of the time, when ejecting disk images or CDs, it just won't eject. Or it will, but it'll still show on the desktop.

http://www.betalogue.com/2007/11/08/...s-proposition/

It's been an issue ever since 9A581.