OS X 10.3 Wild, unfounded, rampant and dangerous speculation thread in perpetuity

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    [quote] How about this...

A way to switch between users without having to log out and log back in. My wife likes to check email and it's a pain in the neck to have to log out of all of my apps so that she can check it.

<hr></blockquote>

I totally agree, windows xp(unfortuanly i must use it) has this feature and it makes it so easy for me to share this computer with my dad and sister. Someome wants to check e-mail, i just win-L, two seconds till the welcome screen, and if the other person is logged on, two seconds for them to be in there screen name. It's sad that OS X doesn't have this.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    I'd like to see a Download Manager built into the OS. I'm tired of every app having a different, inconsistent window for showing their downloads, and lacking basic features like pause/resume. I'd like to see just one window for all my downloads in progress, and have an option to set bandwidth priorities for different apps.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>I'd like a menubar built into OS X 10.3 at the bottom of the screen and setup so that icons of open apps are displayed in it and clicking once or twice on them brings up that app or brings up that app and hides all others. In addition, it should be set up so that a portion of it is reserved for 3rd party status indicators.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah. It's called the Dock.

<strong> [quote]I have read that OS X 10.2 does not allow 3rd party status indicators or applets in the top menubar anymore.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Again, the Dock does that. The icon can even change, depending on certain actions and events, and right-clicking the dock button can give you options. I can tell you're not an OS X user.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    [quote]Originally posted by eVo:

<strong>I'd like to see a Download Manager built into the OS. I'm tired of every app having a different, inconsistent window for showing their downloads, and lacking basic features like pause/resume. I'd like to see just one window for all my downloads in progress, and have an option to set bandwidth priorities for different apps.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Open up multiple terminal windows, and type "curl -O &lt;url&gt;" in each. Type Control-C to pause and "curl -C - -O &lt;url&gt;" to resume.

BTW I am joking, and more to the point a browser with a decent download manager (ei not IE teehee) included would make a good addition.

Barto
  • Reply 25 of 69
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    OmniWeb's manager is pretty good, actually.

That reminds me... *goes to download nightly Chimera build*
  • Reply 26 of 69
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    [quote]Originally posted by Steven R Wilson:

<strong>

True, and I was aware of this, but I'd gather that most end users are not. It's not set up this way by default, and there's no obvious way to access this when you setup your computer, so unless Apple includes an option to set this up while you're configuring a system install, then it effectively doesn't exist for the majority of users.

Therefore this is still a real problem.</strong><hr></blockquote>

(I apologize for this off-topic response.) The security issue you're referring to is actually a feature, and the same type of feature is built right into OS X. If you restart OS X and hold Command+S, you'll boot into single user mode. (This is assuming you don't have OFPassword installed.) The command is there in order to save users who have forgotten their login password. Since single user mode is the CLI, it's not as easy to work with the system, yet that command still provides complete access to the machine.

Precluding OS 9 booting will not solve any issue whatsoever; rather, it would just exacerbate many users who need to use the real OS 9. We are most definitely not ready to leave OS 9 behind completely; we probably won't be there for many years to come. The issue you're speaking of is completely unrelated, actually, and it's solved by OFPassword. I realize most machines won't have that utility installed, and that's a good thing for most users. Yet, for those individuals/environments that require boot level security, OFPassword serves its purpose well.
  • Reply 27 of 69
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jon Rubinstein:

<strong>

Again, the Dock does that. The icon can even change, depending on certain actions and events, and right-clicking the dock button can give you options. I can tell you're not an OS X user.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm still using an 8600 so your correct, I'm not an OS X user but I have played with OS X quite a bit at CompUSA, Fry's, and the Apple stores. Anyway, my beef with the dock is that it covers the desktop picture and it conflicts with windows of open apps. So why can't I have an option to lock it to the bottom while retaining all the dock functionality and with the desktop picture resizing to the edge and no more conflicts with open windows?

I just don't like the way the dock sits on the screen. It looks like a band-aid (a useful one, of course). And autohide sucks because then you have to move your mouse to see what the dock has in it.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    hot chahot cha Posts: 37member
    -Sync with BSD 5.x

-Journalling File System
  • Reply 29 of 69
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Another point to correct about the Dock:

Application windows should not conflict with the Dock. Any well-written application for OS X will not resize or place a window under the dock unless you move it underneath, and even then, it won't let you move the title bar below it. As you might imagine, MS apps among a few others have not figured out how to do this yet.

More features:

Click-and-hold context menus as a system-wide feature.

A GUI method of using Crontab scheduling.

Have the Key Caps/unicode symbols panel available to all apps, just as color and font panels are available.

Integration of Applescript and Services. Possibly move Services to its own menu? Maybe not.

I'll think of more....
  • Reply 30 of 69
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Have the Key Caps/unicode symbols panel available to all apps, just as color and font panels are available.</strong><hr></blockquote>Perhaps something like <a href="http://brad.project-think.com/images/Jag-chacterpalette.png"; target="_blank">this</a>?
  • Reply 31 of 69
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Perhaps something like <a href="http://brad.project-think.com/images/Jag-chacterpalette.png"; target="_blank">this</a>? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep, like that.

Or like this other little pic from the <a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/font.html"; target="_blank">fonts page</a>:

• Reply 32 of 69
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    The death of .pkg.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    How's about the ability to drag windows by its borders, not only the title bar? Speaking of which, has anyone figured out a way to do that? Sometimes the windows are impossible to get back in position (happens a lot when using multiple monitors when resolutions change)...
  • Reply 34 of 69
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I must be channeling a Rocky Horror crowd, but...

"Windows don't *have* borders, ***hole!"

(Honestly, no offense, that's just the first thing that popped into my head. )

Really, they don't. Wanting to drag by borders would necessitate bringing back borders. :/
  • Reply 35 of 69
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>

A GUI method of using Crontab scheduling.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is what the Backup application, i believe, does. that is how it does the scheduling
  • Reply 36 of 69
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    These are GREAT suggestions. Can I mail them to Apple (if you guys haven't already)?

hot cha I laughed out loud when I read your signature and then re-read your username (and then where you're "from"...) They Might Be Giants rock!!! The only question I still have after all these years is this: well, are they!?
  • Reply 37 of 69
    hot chahot cha Posts: 37member
    "...what are we going to do unless they are?"

• Reply 38 of 69
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>And autohide sucks because then you have to move your mouse to see what the dock has in it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You don't have to use autohide. Turn it off if you want to.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    The ability to schedule startup and shutdown in Energy Saver. Likewise, an alarm clock and sleep/shutdown feature in iTunes.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    [quote]Originally posted by Big Mac:

Precluding OS 9 booting will not solve any issue whatsoever; rather, it would just exacerbate many users who need to use the real OS 9. We are most definitely not ready to leave OS 9 behind completely; we probably won't be there for many years to come. The issue you're speaking of is completely unrelated, actually, and it's solved by OFPassword. I realize most machines won't have that utility installed, and that's a good thing for most users. Yet, for those individuals/environments that require boot level security, OFPassword serves its purpose well.<hr></blockquote>

I guess I don't know OS X as well as I thought I did. Single User mode.. I've heard of it but didn't know exactly what it did. I guess the important thing is for Apple to provide a simplified way to lock down the Open Firmware Password on machines.

As far as leaving 9 behind, I hope we can very soon. Besides Applications updating themselves to run native in OS X, and some hardware drivers, there's no reason for OS 9. Classic should remain around for awhile longer than full fledged OS 9, but Classic and bootable OS 9 don't necessarily have to be the same thing.