OS X 10.3 Wild, unfounded, rampant and dangerous speculation thread in perpetuity

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    tsukuritetsukurite Posts: 192member
    5.1 sound OUT. The dvd player doesn't support it either. What good is having the support in the system if no one can hear it?
  • Reply 42 of 69
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by r-0X#Zapchud:

<strong>

You don't have to use autohide. Turn it off if you want to.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why turn it off? It can display useful information that you can get just by glancing at it (depending of course on what you have in it). When I want the time, I just look in the top menubar. Same goes to see what app is active. I don't want to have to move my mouse to get the damn thing to unhide or click to show it.

I use menubar and with a glance, I can see all the apps that are open and which one is current. With menubar, if you want to get to an app, you just click once on that icon. Two clicks on that icon gets that app and hides all other. This, to me is about as easy as it gets.

All I want is the dock to have an option to set it so that it behaves like a bottom menubar would (but, is still the dock) and such that when you do this, it resizes your desktop picture, moves your desktop icons so they don't get lost behind it, fits all the way across the screen, and doesn't conflict with windows of open apps.
  • Reply 43 of 69
    nevynnevyn Posts: 360member
    [quote]Originally posted by Steven R Wilson:

<strong>I'm surprised that no one mentioned built-in OS level encrypting of files, folders, and various other directory structures, including whole disks.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Make a disk image. Very good encryption & file-integrity checkers built in. You can 'eject' it when you wander away, and it's easy to remount. Keeping my important stuff in there also makes backups pretty easy.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    I like most of the ideas above. Basicly, I would like to see some of the basic *nix things come in; like multiple desktops, a screen "lock" feature (as in linux, now windows) and the idea of saved user states (NOT done the MS way, but the linux way).

I would also like to see the core system updated to fix some of the minor compiling errors, so we can all install the latest developemnt versions of programs (*cough* php), which don't compile correctly without some source hacking. I'd actually like to see this stuff in Jaguar :-) Dont have time to wait for 10.3
  • Reply 45 of 69
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>

Why turn it off? It can display useful information that you can get just by glancing at it (depending of course on what you have in it). When I want the time, I just look in the top menubar. Same goes to see what app is active. I don't want to have to move my mouse to get the damn thing to unhide or click to show it.

I use menubar and with a glance, I can see all the apps that are open and which one is current. With menubar, if you want to get to an app, you just click once on that icon. Two clicks on that icon gets that app and hides all other. This, to me is about as easy as it gets.

All I want is the dock to have an option to set it so that it behaves like a bottom menubar would (but, is still the dock) and such that when you do this, it resizes your desktop picture, moves your desktop icons so they don't get lost behind it, fits all the way across the screen, and doesn't conflict with windows of open apps.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think he meant turn off autohide.

What you want is for the Dock to be more like the Windows Taskbar, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. The Dock is different, and its rules of behavior (for the most part) make sense.

The issue about conflicting with open apps is spot on. But this is an application-specific issue. Apple can only prod and make suggestions, developers have to make their apps Dock-savvy.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brian Paulsen:

<strong>How about this...

A way to switch between users without having to log out and log back in. My wife likes to check email and it's a pain in the neck to have to log out of all of my apps so that she can check it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, this would be pretty neat. Be able to open another session of Aqua within a Window of Aqua.
  • Reply 47 of 69
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    [quote]Originally posted by Hobbes:

<strong>

I think he meant turn off autohide.

What you want is for the Dock to be more like the Windows Taskbar, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. The Dock is different, and its rules of behavior (for the most part) make sense.

The issue about conflicting with open apps is spot on. But this is an application-specific issue. Apple can only prod and make suggestions, developers have to make their apps Dock-savvy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Of course I meant "turn off autohide"

sc_markt: why don't you upgrade to OS X (when you have the hardware) and try getting used to the dock?

it's not as bad as it looks imho
  • Reply 48 of 69
    [quote]Originally posted by r-0X#Zapchud:

<strong>

Of course I meant "turn off autohide"

sc_markt: why don't you upgrade to OS X (when you have the hardware) and try getting used to the dock?

it's not as bad as it looks imho </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I've played around with the dock quite a bit at various Apple stores as well as Fry's and CompUSA. I do like the way it looks and I also think its a useful tool. I just want it locked and out of the way. If you think about it, if it was locked to the bottom, I don't see why it couldn't do everything it does now except where it magnifies the icons when you run your cursor over them. And for the people who like that feature, maybe Apple could make it so the text name of the icon pops up when you put your mouse over the icon.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    [quote]Originally posted by Hobbes:

<strong>

Actually, I originally wanted an additional menubar at the bottom of the screen that functioned like taskmenubar did (in place of the dock or in addition to it). But I realized the dock is more functional which lead me to just want an option to lock the dock to the bottom. Maybe an option to set it to different sizes would also be useful.

To be honest, I don't see what would be different with the functionality of the dock if it was set as a bottom menubar vs the way it floats at the screen edge other than the way it magnifies the icons when you run your cursor over them.
  • Reply 50 of 69
    - Scroll and click in OS X menus

- Allow addition or separators in the Dock

- Disk defragmentation tool built into OS X

- Menu view of System Prefs from dock

- Startup disk selection on startup (using key command?)

- RAM info

- Themes

-\tOptional sleep on closing portables

- More Sherlock functionality:

? Apple discussions forum

? Specific searches for images, audio etc?

? Network browser

- Audio recording option in iTunes

- Ability to send to groups of address? with Mail

- Automatic window resizing in the Finder

- Scientific calculator in OS X

- Ability to preview RTF documents in Column View

- View options in Column View (icon size etc?)

- Ability to set default Finder window size

- List of all MacOS X key commands

- ? Move? option when right clicking (ctrl ? click) on a file

- Support for three button mouse where the third button allows you to select an item in a menu without the menu disappearing (as in RISC OS)
  • Reply 51 of 69
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Someone mentioned that OS X already has XML support.

Well, sort of.

If it had a validating parser, then applications could tell when, where and how their Preferences files had been corrupted, and take appropriate action, instead of crashing mysteriously the way they do now. If OS X had built in support for XML Schema, XML Events... XHTML....

(Note: By "built in" I mean there are libraries there with published APIs, so that, if desired, they can be ignored/replaced easily. I do not mean Windows-style commingling of code.)
  • Reply 52 of 69
    richyfprichyfp Posts: 19member
    [quote]Originally posted by Daniel Lucas:

<strong>

- Disk defragmentation tool built into OS X

Just out of interest... why?

[quote]

- Startup disk selection on startup (using key command?)

<hr></blockquote>

Try the holding the option (alt) key on atartup to access Open Firmware boot disk selection.

[quote]

- RAM info

<hr></blockquote>

Try looking in Apple System Profiler or typing the following into Terminal:

AppleSystemProfiler | grep -A 6 Memory

Don't really know what you mean. If you mean memory usage, you can use Process Viewer or top in Terminal.

[quote]

- Ability to send to groups of address? with Mail

<hr></blockquote>

Already in Jaguar - just make the group in Address book and type the name of the group in Mail. The email will then be sent to all members of the group.

[quote]

- Scientific calculator in OS X

- View options in Column View (icon size etc?)

<hr></blockquote>

Both in Jaguar (apparently)

[quote]

- List of all MacOS X key commands

<hr></blockquote>

Can't really comment but the appearance of "Keyboard Shortcuts" in the iTunes 3 Help menu looks promising.

[Edit: tidied up quotes]

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: richyfp ]</p>
  • Reply 53 of 69
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    DOCK

How about a "Dock Utility" for configuring the dock? It seems that almost everyone I talk to who uses OS X doesn't understand how to drop a folder into the dock for right-click access of its contents like the old Apple Menu. They whine about OS X not having an Apple menu, but actually it DOES, and you can even have more than one. It's MORE customizable, but Apple needs to show this to people. So a utility for configuring the dock in this way would be very useful IMO.

Such a utility could also control other Dock features, like multiple docks, more separators, and even more.

I'd also like the ability to drag and drop onto folders in the dock, and have them open a spring-loaded folder hierarchy...this would make moving files around in OS X so much easier.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the dock, it's an awesome piece of coding IMO, but it does have room to grow and it looks like Apple is content with it the way it is. A dock configuration utility would allow Apple to keep the dock simple for dumb-ass users, but anyone else could open the utility and begin turning on all the "advanced" features.

AUDIO

Also, I'd like to see better audio in OS X. Full Dolby 5.1 surround sound support in iTunes and the DVD player, and at the system level. There's no reason why OS X's audio cannot rival the finest home theater receivers.

Furthermore, I'd like to see an iAudio application for simple recording and editing of sound. It could work synergistically with iMovie for editing sound in a DV track, or adding sound to a movie. But it's main purpose would be to record and edit audio. There are already excellent shareware apps available for this, so I think Apple should buy one of them (Amadeus is my favorite, and it's already OS X native...or Apple could just have Emagic make a "lite" version of logic). Add Dolby 5.1 to the sound editor, link it to both iTunes and iMovie, and it would be a killer app.

Unfortunately, there are a few problems with this:

1. Apple would be stepping on the toes of several shareware authors. I would hate to see these guys get snuffed out of business because Apple offered a free app that does what their software does. But I could live with it, especially if I didn't have to pay a shareware fee, and instead got the same functionality for FREE!

2. Apple would have to be sure that this recording app was strictly amateur, so they don't drive business away from protools or cubase. I doubt this would happen, but it's something to consider. Like with iPhoto, it seems that Apple keeps iPhoto hobbled so that it doesn't take business away from Photoshop or even GraphicsConverter.

3. This is the big one...the problem with an audio recording and editing application is that it requires skill to use. The user needs to be able to play an instrument to use this app. In comparison, any twit can use iMovie as long as they have money to blow on a DV camera..their movies will probably suck, but this hjas never stopped anyone from forcing home movies on relatives at family gatherings.

However, I think more people play instruments than Apple realizes. Think of how many families have at least one child in band at school...they could use iAudio to record and edit their child's rehearsals and make some pretty cool stuff. Then convert it to MP3s and share it with family friends over the internet. Very cool...and something that would set Apple apart from Wintel.

I'm really hoping that Apple's planning on something like this with their acquisition of Emagic. There must be a "lite" version of Logic that Apple could make into an iApplication. It would RULE!

Another cool thing about iAudio is that it would bolster Apple's reputation of a computer for artists and for anyone who wants to create. This sets Apple apart from Micro$oft and I think it's a good thing.

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: Junkyard Dawg ]</p>
  • Reply 54 of 69
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]A way to switch between users without having to log out and log back in. My wife likes to check email and it's a pain in the neck to have to log out of all of my apps so that she can check it. <hr></blockquote>

This would be easy as having them implement the ability to run programs as other users by supplying a username and password when using this option. Sorta like using 'su' to run something as root from the command-line. You aren't logged in as root. It would run the mail.app, but it would access the other user's preferences and email database. Same thing could work for iTunes. (maybe this works now, I dunno. I'm waiting on my first Mac ... try running mail.app from su as another user.)
  • Reply 55 of 69
    I'm a windows user and sometimes I like to see a clean desktop with nothing on it when nothing is running or it is all minimized. Maybe the ability to auto-hide and/or move the menubar around the screen, such as to the side or bottom. This would also open the opporunity to put the dock on the top if the menu bar wasn't there. I doubt that apple will allow you to move the menu bar, but the ability to auto-hide it would be nice.

some other things I would like to see:

-- A list of all the global apple key commands

-- global alt-tab ability between windows of a program. Having each program have a different key command to do this is rather annoying.

This next thing I'm not sure about, might just be an IE quirk. ( most of my experience in OSX and Macs for that matter is web browsing and helping my friend troubleshoot, my TiBook is on the way ) When I'm typing in a text box in IE and I hit the 'end' key I don't want it to go to the end of the page, I want the cursor in the text box to go to the end of the line. The 'end' key should only go to the end of the page when there is no text box in focus.(in my opinion anyways)

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: pyr3 ]</p>
  • Reply 56 of 69
    [quote]Think of how many families have at least one child in band at school...they could use iAudio to record and edit their child's rehearsals and make some pretty cool stuff. Then convert it to MP3s and share it with family friends over the internet.<hr></blockquote>

I seriously can't see a parent lugging a laptop, even an iBook into a recitle and recording it like that, but then again parents amaze with the amount of things they will lug anywhere just to capture their kids on tape to watch maybe once or twice before the tape deteriorates.

[quote]Well, I've played around with the dock quite a bit at various Apple stores as well as Fry's and CompUSA. I do like the way it looks and I also think its a useful tool. I just want it locked and out of the way. If you think about it, if it was locked to the bottom, I don't see why it couldn't do everything it does now except where it magnifies the icons when you run your cursor over them. And for the people who like that feature, maybe Apple could make it so the text name of the icon pops up when you put your mouse over the icon.<hr></blockquote>

If you make everything an 'option' then features don't become bloated while catering to everyone. That's the MS way, not the Apple way. Or at least I hope so.

[quote]And autohide sucks because then you have to move your mouse to see what the dock has in it.<hr></blockquote>

How about just making a key to pop it up and/or hide it?

[quote]How's about the ability to drag windows by its borders, not only the title bar? Speaking of which, has anyone figured out a way to do that? Sometimes the windows are impossible to get back in position (happens a lot when using multiple monitors when resolutions change)... <hr></blockquote>

How about having a key command like in windows. In windows it's alt+down+down then space or enter (this goes to the window menu and selects 'move' option) and then you can use the arrow keys to move the window around the screen and hit space or enter when you are done for the change to stick and esc to have the window go back to the original position. I use this alot when I have lost windows.

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: pyr3 ]

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: pyr3 ]

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: pyr3 ]</p>
  • Reply 57 of 69
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Dock hide/show key combo:

option-command-d

It should work in every app. Sorry if this was mentioned already.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Dock hide/show key combo:

option-command-d

It should work in every app. Sorry if this was mentioned already. </strong><hr></blockquote>

This is what I want:

Fixed dock...

option-command-fd
  • Reply 59 of 69
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    [quote]Originally posted by pyr3:

<strong>I'm a windows user and sometimes I like to see a clean desktop with nothing on it when nothing is running or it is all minimized. Maybe the ability to auto-hide and/or move the menubar around the screen, such as to the side or bottom. This would also open the opporunity to put the dock on the top if the menu bar wasn't there. I doubt that apple will allow you to move the menu bar, but the ability to auto-hide it would be nice.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Neeeeever gonna happen. The menu bar is at the top to stay.

[quote]<strong>some other things I would like to see:

-- A list of all the global apple key commands</strong><hr></blockquote>

That would be nice... anyone want to start it?

Actually, enter 'shortcut' in MacOS Help (Cmd-? in the Finder) and you get a bunch of them. Some are Finder specific, but many are global.

Aha... if you have the developer tools installed, go to file:///Developer/Documentation/Essentials/AquaHIGuidelines/AHIGUserInput/iKeyboardEquivalents.html (I would have provided a link, but UBB keeps adding a http:// to the beginning of that URL... )

[quote]<strong>

-- global alt-tab ability between windows of a program. Having each program have a different key command to do this is rather annoying.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Cmd-~ (tilde). And it is *supposed* to be global. It works in all Cocoa apps, and Apple thankfully fixed it in the 10.2 Finder. Dunno about Carbon apps yet, but this is strictly a developer issue. Go gripe at the developers of the programs that don't conform.

[quote]<strong>This next thing I'm not sure about, might just be an IE quirk. ( most of my experience in OSX and Macs for that matter is web browsing and helping my friend troubleshoot, my TiBook is on the way ) When I'm typing in a text box in IE and I hit the 'end' key I don't want it to go to the end of the page, I want the cursor in the text box to go to the end of the line. The 'end' key should only go to the end of the page when there is no text box in focus.(in my opinion anyways)

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: pyr3 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Agreed, and guess what - it works that way in OmniWeb. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a Cocoa widget vs. IE (custom MS rolled) widget issue.

[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: Kickaha ]</p>
  • Reply 60 of 69
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Keyboard equivalents resources:

The above developer doc

<a href="http://www.westwind.com/reference/OS-X/keyboard-shortcuts.html"; target="_blank">http://www.westwind.com/reference/OS-X/keyboard-shortcuts.html</a>; Lists many, not just global.

<a href="http://davespicks.com/writing/programming/mackeys.html"; target="_blank">http://davespicks.com/writing/programming/mackeys.html</a>; Lists boottime, eject, shutdown, etc.