Inside MobileMe: Apple's Push vs Exchange, BlackBerry, Google

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    jechejeche Posts: 9member
    You can compare them all you want . . . but when it comes down to it, my blackberry gets all the emails its supposed to, business and personal. Maybe its not glamorous but... it works. My iphone is cool but the email just does not work. I spent over an hour with an apple "genius" on Sunday who repeatedly told me there was nothing wrong with the hardware, nothing wrong with the software, but could not explain why my iphone receives emails for about 15 minutes after I turn it on (or reboot), but then receives email either sporadically or not at all after that, push or no push.

They blamed ATT and their lousy network in NY.

Well, my blackberry is also ATT and it works.

I love Apple products and love most of this iphone, but this email just does not work. So, talk "push" all you want, if it doesn't work its useless
  • Reply 42 of 54
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This hint should explain it in more detail and walk you through setting it up.

Thanks for that - several interesting solutions.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Of course, Apple isn't a phone provider, so these services must be charged for if Apple isn't going to lose money on them as Google seems to be willing to do.

If Apple were a cell company, then it could wrap these services in some plan of its own.

RIM has many layers of hardware and services that they charge for, while Apple doesn't (we're just talking about phones and plans, of course).

Melgross. My comments to user828 was an attempt to ferret out the troll. So far he has eluded my main question, i.e., what was he actually getting and how much is he paying for it.

My point was to eventually show that his great free services weren't free, didn't come near the functionality and/or value that MobileMe was offering or that he was just trolling. For example, he first said that he pays $30 a month for his cell service but then later states that in Italy where he is supposedly lives everybody also pays an additional "7 cents a minute for every phonecall mobile or land…"
  • Reply 44 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Melgross. My comments to user828 was an attempt to ferret out the troll. So far he has eluded my main question, i.e., what was he actually getting and how much is he paying for it.

My point was to eventually show that his great free services weren't free, didn't come near the functionality and/or value that MobileMe was offering or that he was just trolling. For example, he first said that he pays $30 a month for his cell service but then later states that in Italy where he is supposedly lives everybody also pays an additional "7 cents a minute for every phonecall mobile or land?"

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was actually giving a reason why Apple HAS to charge for this.

By the way, you can just call me Mel.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Quote:

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was actually giving a reason why Apple HAS to charge for this.

By the way, you can just call me Mel.

Thanks Mel.

You can call me anything you want, except late for dinner.
  • Reply 46 of 54
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Ah. Gmail down again. http://www.macworld.com/article/1349.../08/gmail.html

I keep telling people that Gmail is neither reliable, nor is it secure, but they keep saying that it's pretty good—and FREE!

My daughter and her friends think it's cooool. She won't use her Covad.net or USA.net addresses, even though she has to change her e-mail address every so often because of the increasing spam, which USA.net, and Covad.net filter out.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I keep telling people that Gmail is neither reliable, nor is it secure, but they keep saying that it's pretty good?and FREE!

My daughter and her friends think it's cooool. She won't use her Covad.net or USA.net addresses, even though she has to change her e-mail address every so often because of the increasing spam, which USA.net, and Covad.net filter out.

Gmail has the best spam filtering that I've ever seen, though now that I'm actually using MM mail in some regard I have no spam there either.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:

Gmail has the best spam filtering that I've ever seen, though now that I'm actually using MM mail in some regard I have no spam there either.

I assume that you're not a kid. If you went to the sites they go to, you would have plenty of spam as well.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:

I assume that you're not a kid. If you went to the sites they go to, you would have plenty of spam as well.

Perhaps you're right, but before signing up with Gmail my other accounts had plenty of spam. I jsut checked my rarely used Yahoo and Hotmail accounts and they have a lot of spam in the inboxes.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:

Perhaps you're right, but before signing up with Gmail my other accounts had plenty of spam. I jsut checked my rarely used Yahoo and Hotmail accounts and they have a lot of spam in the inboxes.

I helped her set it up, so it's about what it should be.

Contrarily, I have Covad, and I use USA.net for the address I give out, and mostly use.

I get about 40 spams a day stopped by the filters at USA, and about 20 that make it through there stopped by Covad. I then get about two or three a day that make it to my Junk folder. I also get about two a week that make it through there.

I have never lost a "real" e-mail through either USA or Covad, though a few end up in my Junk box, which is fine.

I never worry about which sites I go to.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Quote:

I helped her set it up, so it's about what it should be.

Contrarily, I have Covad, and I use USA.net for the address I give out, and mostly use.

I get about 40 spams a day stopped by the filters at USA, and about 20 that make it through there stopped by Covad. I then get about two or three a day that make it to my Junk folder. I also get about two a week that make it through there.

I have never lost a "real" e-mail through either USA or Covad, though a few end up in my Junk box, which is fine.

I never worry about which sites I go to.

I get one about every month or two in my inbox in Gmail. I never checked my Junk folder so I have no clue how many get sent there or if I have missed a real message from someone. I've never had a call from someone implying they've sent me an email that I never received so I haven't had a reason to check. I'm glad there are multiple services for free email with good spam filters. It was definitely a huge issue in the not too distant past.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    I just want server side mail rules! It's so stupid not to have this...
  • Reply 54 of 54
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snegbert View Post

Nice post, but I think you're missing the point on the BlackBerry side: it's supposed to be a network-independent way to access your corporate information. Exchange and Lotus Notes are the main corporate email systems, so that's why BlackBerry bolts onto the side of those.

The point of the BlackBerry NOC is to tie into hundreds of wireless networks with a true push model (ie not a poll every 15 minutes model) service. Each wireless carrier does things in their own way, and to get push times down below 5 seconds on most carriers you need to do some serious customization. I'm sure MobileMe is doing work in that direction too, but then basically you've got the same single point of failure that the NOC is. The BES component's job is to yank messages out of the mail server and push them to the NOC in real-time. MobileMe is effectively this component as well.

I'm not bashing MobileMe, just pointing out that BlackBerry does similar things, but with the requirements of near-real-time message delivery and complete end-to-end encryption. If you start with those design constraints, the BlackBerry model makes a lot more sense. For the average user, 15 minutes and mostly-secure is a reasonable delay, so you don't need to jump through all those hoops, and the added features of MobileMe more than make up for those considerations.

S

Not if you are on the auction floor or stock exchange.... or anything related "time is money".... (like contract bidding... or comparing price for wii games?)