Will the Apple R&D building fire cancel upcoming products?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
No one was hurt in the fire so now I must ask this question....



Will this fire at the R&D facility delay or even actually cancel outright some or all of the upcoming products?

The new ipods, macbooks.....in my opinion I think they will be safe for september. But what about the super cool products that we expect at macworld 09? Is the research data and hardware prototypes lost forever now because of this fire? Has apple been pushed back several months because of this? And if so, do you all think this will give its competition a chance to catch up with them?



Gawd, its almost like a soap opera. \
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 29
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Nah, everything is backed up a million times over. No worries. It's probably more of a nuisance than anything else.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    No one was hurt in the fire so now I must ask this question....



    Will this fire at the R&D facility delay or even actually canel outright some or all of the upcoming products?

    The new ipods, macbooks.....in my opinion I think they will be safe for september. But what about the super cool products that we expect at macworld 09? Is the research data and hardware prototypes lost forever now because of this fire? Has apple been pushed back several months because of this? And if so, do you all think this will give its competition a chance to catch up with them?



    Gawd, its almost like a soap opera. \



    It probably was done on purpose, by a "competitor"... who knows?, But I doubt that it will ruin any Apple product releases, because as people have pointed out... they have everything backed up offsite, (we hope) just a pain in the butt for Apple's R&D, nothing more... that's all it will be.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_jerome View Post


    It probably was done on purpose, by a "competitor"... who knows?, But I doubt that it will ruin any Apple product releases, because as people have pointed out... they have everything backed up offsite, (we hope) just a pain in the butt for Apple's R&D, nothing more... that's all it will be.



    We hope. But lets not assume anything. We (and Apple) all assumed nothing would be wrong with the iphone 3G but its looking like there might be something wrong with the infineon 3G chips. I mean you've all heard about some iphones worldwide have been having problems maintaining phone reception N whatnot.

    We all assumed that Apple thoroughly tested the thing before they sent it to production.



    Who knows what happened in that fire. We might have actually lost some good prototypes. \
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Nah, but when they get the bugs worked out, those future laptops will have kick-ass batteries!
  • Reply 5 of 29
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    No one was hurt in the fire so now I must ask this question....



    Will this fire at the R&D facility delay or even actually canel outright some or all of the upcoming products?

    The new ipods, macbooks.....in my opinion I think they will be safe for september. But what about the super cool products that we expect at macworld 09? Is the research data and hardware prototypes lost forever now because of this fire? Has apple been pushed back several months because of this? And if so, do you all think this will give its competition a chance to catch up with them?



    Gawd, its almost like a soap opera. \



    Yep, Everything burned.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Short answer: No



    Long answer: Since Apple (almost) never publicly announces its release schedule, we'll never know, and that's the same as "no"
  • Reply 7 of 29
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post


    Short answer: No



    Long answer: Since Apple (almost) never publicly announces its release schedule, we'll never know, and that's the same as "no"



    Maybe someone on this forum could please look for some of the firefighters that were there last night and interview them? Ask them what was the real extent of the damage and if perhaps they actually saw any prototypes.......ok?

    This isn't too much to ask is it?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Those firefighters had better things to do than look around and they have better things to do than talk to anyone on this forum.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post


    Those firefighters had better things to do than look around and they have better things to do than talk to anyone on this forum.



    Well when I said someone should "interview" them I was being umm......polite. I meant lock them up in a dark room with one powerful spotlight on them and interogate them thoroughly.

    Yes, they may not be looking round for gadgets. But under hypnosis or a powerful truth serum they could be made to recall specific details they were overlooking.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    Well when I said someone should "interview" them I was being umm......polite. I meant lock them up in a dark room with one powerful spotlight on them and interogate them thoroughly.

    Yes, they may not be looking round for gadgets. But under hypnosis or a powerful truth serum they could be made to recall specific details they were overlooking.



    Thats a good idea. But I am sure if they were in there they saw something. They need to know what type of material is burning in order to put it out. So maybe they were checking if there was some type of metal burning, like metal used in new case designs . Anyway, anyone in there had to see something. Furthermore, once the fire is out they still need to do overhaul, and check all around the place to make sure there is no fire left. That leave a lot of much calmer time to snoop--err, I mean look around.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,293member
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    We hope. But lets not assume anything. We (and Apple) all assumed nothing would be wrong with the iphone 3G but its looking like there might be something wrong with the infineon 3G chips. I mean you've all heard about some iphones worldwide have been having problems maintaining phone reception N whatnot.

    We all assumed that Apple thoroughly tested the thing before they sent it to production.



    Who knows what happened in that fire. We might have actually lost some good prototypes. \



    Im glad to hear the news, that its NOT in the R&D building after all. It broke out in the IT/Networking building. This maybe a GOOD thing after all, because a REBUILD of this facility, may allow a REDESIGN of the IT/Net Facilities at Apple, and that means guess what... better MobileMe etc....



    and besides Apple, is now worth more than Google, so it will be small change. It may be a blessing in disguise!



    What does everyone think?
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_jerome View Post


    Im glad to hear the news, that its NOT in the R&D building after all. It broke out in the IT/Networking building. This maybe a GOOD thing after all, because a REBUILD of this facility, may allow a REDESIGN of the IT/Net Facilities at Apple, and that means guess what... better MobileMe etc....



    and besides Apple, is now worth more than Google, so it will be small change. It may be a blessing in disguise!



    What does everyone think?



    Yea, but how can you say that apple (aapl) is worth more than Google (goog)?



    179.30 < 500 [as of 7:20 am 8/14]
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjgonza View Post


    Yea, but how can you say that apple (aapl) is worth more than Google (goog)?



    179.30 < 500 [as of 7:20 am 8/14]



    I was not the one who said that. Its all over the Mac/Apple websites, stating that fact.



    I can believe it. It makes sense. Really.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    trobertstroberts Posts: 701member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    Well when I said someone should "interview" them I was being umm......polite. I meant lock them up in a dark room with one powerful spotlight on them and interogate them thoroughly.

    Yes, they may not be looking round for gadgets. But under hypnosis or a powerful truth serum they could be made to recall specific details they were overlooking.



    Forget the firefighters. CSI will be collecting minute details (i.e. photos) to figure out how the fire started.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjgonza View Post


    Yea, but how can you say that apple (aapl) is worth more than Google (goog)?



    179.30 < 500 [as of 7:20 am 8/14]



    Um...wow. Really?



    Did you ever think to check how many shares each company had outstanding? The price of each share has nothing to do with how much a company is worth, dude...Apple's market capitalization (share price x # shares outstanding) is just a bit higher than Google's (meaning Apple has a lot more shares outstanding).



    \
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaple View Post


    Um...wow. Really?



    Did you ever think to check how many shares each company had outstanding? The price of each share has nothing to do with how much a company is worth, dude...Apple's market capitalization (share price x # shares outstanding) is just a bit higher than Google's (meaning Apple has a lot more shares outstanding).



    \



    Damn. . . I stand corrected.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post


    Forget the firefighters. CSI will be collecting minute details (i.e. photos) to figure out how the fire started.



    CSI? LOL. Somebody watches way too much TV.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post


    CSI? LOL. Somebody watches way too much TV.



    Nah, if anything they should call up CSI MIAMI! Bring the whole crew in to collect evidence.

    Especially Eva Larue....shes hot.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjgonza View Post


    Damn. . . I stand corrected.



    No worries... I realize now that my reply sounded harsh. I have a degree in finance, so things that seem obvious to me aren't to a lot of people.



    On the other hand, I know very little about the inner workings of computers and I'm sure I say some strange things on this forum and don't realize it.



Sign In or Register to comment.