HSBC bank may ditch BlackBerry for 200,000 iPhones - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In what would surely be a blow Research in Motion, HSBC is considering a move that would strip its employees of their BlackBerry handsets and equip them with some 200,000 Apple iPhones instead.

"We are actually reviewing iPhones from a HSBC Group perspective ... and when I say that, I mean globally," HSBC's Australia and New Zealand chief information officer Brenton Hush told ZDNet.com.au on Tuesday.

HSBC is both world's largest company and banking group, with an estimated 330,000 employees globally. As such, a deployment of iPhones to just 200,000 staffers would be figuring 'conservatively,' Hush added.

"You know, it's a big decision, especially when you have an existing fleet out there," he said. "But it's definitely something we are considering from a HSBC Group perspective."

Other banks have been skeptical about unleashing the Apple handset onto their networks due to perceived inadequacies in email and security when compared to BlackBerry devices. Hush, who was recently promoted to chief information officer of the local arm of HSBC, doesn't share those same views however.

"I think [the iPhone] would change some underlying infrastructure considerations from an enterprise perspective," he said ."But [Apple] have been pretty smart with the design."

ZDNet notes that HSBC's global operations has a $6 billion annual technology budget and a technology team of 30,000 supporting 330,000 employees. Research in Motion's BlackBerry is currently the firm's standard issue handset.

HSBC is just one of over 165 Fortune 500 companies that have expressed interest in the iPhone by applying for developer status to Apple's iPhone software developer program.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    If it happens, it would add another high profile enterprise level firm who has deployed the iPhone.

It's only a matter of time after iPhone deployments will we see the trickle down impact of the Mac value proposition in the enterprise. It's logical to expect that Mac use will rise over time in those firms that deploy the iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 77
    Short Term = Lots of initially excited end-users who will quickly become frustrated by all the "little things" broken (or non-existent) in iPhone's handling of various email, calendar, contacts, tasks, & to-do's compared to mature Blackberry options.

Long Term = RIMs rapid demise triggers the long-inevitable conversion of Canada into U.S.'s 51st state

Or maybe not. What the hell do I know?
  • Reply 3 of 77
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

Short Term = Lots of initially excited end-users who will quickly become frustrated by all the "little things" broken (or non-existent) in iPhone's handling of various email, calendar, contacts, tasks, & to-do's compared to mature Blackberry options.

Long Term = RIMs rapid demise triggers the long-inevitable conversion of Canada into U.S.'s 51st state

Or maybe not. What the hell do I know?

About as likely as a surprise republican win in the next election triggering a swathe of northern states to leave the US and join Canada!

HSBC better not do this until Apple have sorted out all of the small niggles and got a fixed 3G chipset firmware installed. And a ToDo list application that integrates with Outlook (although Outlook's ToDo functionality is verging on pointless and dire, but then again I've used OmniOutliner...)
  • Reply 4 of 77
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Until Apple offers an extend battery I do not believe that enterprise will be happy with the iPhone 3G. This is not a criticism, it's based upon experience.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Companies are starting to move beyond just email for the mobile user; not to browser-based apps, but to their own customized apps that use the Internet for information access. For that, the combination of a great UI, app development tools, and app deployment mechanism will be a huge advantage.

Of course, RIM and others can do the same, though it will take some time. Apple has blindsided its mobile competitors. And it explains why Apple kept its native app story and App Store ambiguous (or really hidden in plain sight) until it was ready to go.

The fact that iPhone continues to be "closed" is a sign that Apple is serious about enterprise sales. Going forward, there will be tension between enterprises who want iPhone to be more closed, and hackers who want it to be more open. And I think Apple is going to be siding with enterprises.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Until Apple offers an extend battery I do not believe that enterprise will be happy with the iPhone 3G. This is not a criticism, it's based upon experience.

You can buy extended batteries from third parties today. Are you saying it must be Apple-branded?
  • Reply 7 of 77
    Sounds like he's trying to negotiate his next order of Blackberries to me.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    They really shouldn't rely on the iPhone for their business just yet. The software is still horrible. I'm getting tired of restoring my phone every other day so I'm hoping that I just received a defective phone and I'm heading to the bar tonight to get it replaced. I could never recommend the iPhone to a company that relies on their smartphones for business. If it were later on in the game when Apple hopefully fixes the bugs and instability... sure. But not now.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    If they have some custom apps they want to deploy they should go for it, but if it's just for messaging then why change.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

You can buy extended batteries from third parties today. Are you saying it must be Apple-branded?

True, but they're clunky solutions compared to just getting a spare battery out of your briefcase. If Apple are serious about going after Enterprise users they would do well to develop a "pro" iPhone with features that business users can't live without (like a replaceable battery) and maybe even a keyboard.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Quote:

And I think Apple is going to be siding with enterprises.

Are you familiar with how Jobs thinks? It is not along the enterprise model.

Quote:

Enterprise will always prefer a company brand versus an aftermarket.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    Do you really think that the likes of HSBC doesn't have the expertise in planning, vetting, coordinating, deploying, etc., communication devices such as the iphone to make their own decision?

Or are you guys so well above them that they have come here to listen to continually disparaging rhetoric from the same individuals over and over again?
  • Reply 13 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

True, but they're clunky solutions compared to just getting a spare battery out of your briefcase. If Apple are serious about going after Enterprise users they would do well to develop a "pro" iPhone with features that business users can't live without (like a replaceable battery) and maybe even a keyboard.

a keyboard, lol
  • Reply 14 of 77
    Short term: Copy/Paste added.

Long term: Apple is the new Microsoft. (just kidding... ?)
  • Reply 15 of 77
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

About as likely as a surprise republican win in the next election triggering a swathe of northern states to leave the US and join Canada!

Oooooh, something to look forward to when the Dems lose the presidential election.

I don't care if it triggers a swathe of northern states to leave the US to join Canada, but MA, that's a different story - See ya, Ted!
  • Reply 16 of 77
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

I just picked up one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Amstron-PP33-E.../dp/B000U8F94Y

Pretty nice, it's just a little smaller than the iPhone and comes with accessories for attaching to other types of devices that take power over USB jacks.

I figure it will be a great thing to have when I am on a trip or in an airport. It has enough juice to fully charge the iPhone twice, so between the phone itself and the battery, you can get three charges. Something to consider for people unhappy with the 3G battery life.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

True, but they're clunky solutions compared to just getting a spare battery out of your briefcase.

OTOH the iPhone is solid and less clunky than a phone with a creaky battery door hinge.

Or a battery door with loose or broken contacts that has to be taped on.

Or the phone that is dropped - phone, battery door, and battery fly in three different directions

Or the battery door that is firmly apart of the phone but extremely difficult to remove.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The iPhone is not perfect. Other phones have certain legitimate advantages.

What many forget (or pretend to) is that:

* No OTHER phone is perfect.

* The iPhone has its OWN advantages.

Thus, while many like to suggest that "avoid the iPhone" is the only rational choice, it's actually more complicated than that. It can actually make SENSE to choose an iPhone. And those who fear for HSBC's well-being need not worry: I don't think HSBC is taking such a decision lightly. They're probably even smart enough to know that the iPhone keeps getting updates--so they can wait-and-see what improvements come in the months ahead.

Whether they ultimately choose BlackBerry or iPhone, I see no cause yet to doubt that their reasons will be sensible.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

If it happens, it would add another high profile enterprise level firm who has deployed the iPhone.

"another high profile enterprise level firm"???

Names please- back up - thank you.