iPhone 3G reception issues to be relieved by software - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

My answer my have been narrow in scope, but I was just point out that I would have hired some guys who's core biz is making phones. This would give Apple a nice jump start in the phone biz.

Hiring Motorola's head of cell phone division wasn't a good enough public example for you that Apple actually did what you suggested? Just because the company operates in secrecy doesn't mean it isn't doing the right things. After all, even as early as Macworld, January 2007, it already appeared Apple had a jump start.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    Quote:

News flash, Apple did not invent touch screens. They were around long before Apple thought about it.

Looking at the thread above, I won't belabor the point that I think you are smart enough to have figured out the point of my post. (If you did not, I particularly recommend Flounder's comment above at 04.22 PM).

• Reply 43 of 74
    Until we hear it from the horses mouth, we can not yet say- it will be fixed with a software update.
  • Reply 44 of 74
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I'd love Apple to fix the reception problems in a firmware update, but to be honest if they can do that I'd be surprised. It seemed to me to be more of an issue with the generally crappy nature of many country's 3G networks, and perhaps a hardware flaw with the iPhone.

I'm in the UK and where I work (which is a 3G area) I get 3 bars of signal outside, but inside I get at best 1 bar, but often no bars, at which point the phone drops back to 2G (which gets a 3 or 4 bar signal). There are a lot of areas in the UK with not even that comically bad level of 3G coverage though, including where I live, which despite being a decent sized town doesn't even have Edge, let alone 3G.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Heh... yeah, if this was a widespread issue you would have heard about it already, on this forum and others, in lots of posts. Oh wait, this has been going on for a couple weeks now.

We bought our three iPhones early this evening.

I can't say for my daughter, as she's holed up in her room with the phone and computer. My wife went to sleep after getting up at four this morning to get to the Apple store early so as to pick up the vouchers.

But, with my phone, I'm getting that problem. I will get five bars and the 3G symbol, and then it will drop to two bars, stay there for a time, and move to some other number, sometimes one, or back to five.

At times, it will remain on 3G even with one bar, but, at other times, it will say "E" when it's at two bars.

Very strange!

If it's the software chip problem, I hope Apple will get that fix that supposedly they and Infineon are in the middle of testing out soon, rather than wait for 2.1 as we have been hearing. This is a real problem. The first one I've encountered in the several hours I've been playing with the phone.

I don't see how this can be a cell tower problem as it happens so quickly.

Several good things though. The battery seems to charge from the usb very quickly, and the keyboard is much easier to type on than I would have thought. I don't have big hands though. It's a matter of understanding exactly where your finger is making a touch. It's often not where you think it is.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But, with my phone, I'm getting that problem. I will get five bars and the 3G symbol, and then it will drop to two bars, stay there for a time, and move to some other number, sometimes one, or back to five.

I look forward to seeing what the results are from all three handsets at the same location.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I look forward to seeing what the results are from all three handsets at the same location.

Considering our schedules, It will probably be Saturday.

But, basically, the phone itself is real nice.

It took almost an hour to get them all though. They had to do each one separately. That was after almost an hour on line. But it went smoothly. We had our numbers moved over, and were told it would take up to 6 hours for us to be able to receive a phone call, though we could make them right away. We spent the extra to get Applecare for them. I know, people are going to rake me over the coals for that, but there is no insurance for these phones from AT&T (gee, I wonder why?). Even though Applecare doesn't cover theft or loss for obvious reasons, I feel as though it's worth it. We may even keep them for that long.
  • Reply 48 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Hiring Motorola's head of cell phone division wasn't a good enough public example for you that Apple actually did what you suggested? Just because the company operates in secrecy doesn't mean it isn't doing the right things. After all, even as early as Macworld, January 2007, it already appeared Apple had a jump start.

That statement would be more comforting if Motorola wasn't a declining business making phones of pretty shaky quality in many respects. I realize that it might not have been at all due to this person, but still, not comforting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'd love Apple to fix the reception problems in a firmware update, but to be honest if they can do that I'd be surprised. It seemed to me to be more of an issue with the generally crappy nature of many country's 3G networks, and perhaps a hardware flaw with the iPhone.

I'm in the UK and where I work (which is a 3G area) I get 3 bars of signal outside, but inside I get at best 1 bar, but often no bars, at which point the phone drops back to 2G (which gets a 3 or 4 bar signal). There are a lot of areas in the UK with not even that comically bad level of 3G coverage though, including where I live, which despite being a decent sized town doesn't even have Edge, let alone 3G.

I think the hive mind is relatively sure that some iPhones clearly have problems that can't be explained away by network infrastructure. People have already said that they got better, more consistent performance using the same sim in a different brand of 3G phone, at the same location.

Personally, the description I've seen of the problem doesn't really seem to lend itself to a software fix. It sounds like a wiring or transmission line problem with the circuitry, I don't know how software can fix that. That's assuming the reports are at all correct, which could be totally misleading.
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Quote:

It took almost an hour to get them all though. They had to do each one separately.

The process does seem to be very inefficient to say the least. I think the guy asked me to give him several different pieces of information a few times.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Udder silence?

"Murrrrph"

That's a cow with Microsoft Speech Recognition Software installed.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Didn't know this Foo2. Now I do. Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 53 of 74
    Quote:

We bought our three iPhones early this evening.

I can't say for my daughter, as she's holed up in her room with the phone and computer. My wife went to sleep after getting up at four this morning to get to the Apple store early so as to pick up the vouchers.

At times, it will remain on 3G even with one bar, but, at other times, it will say "E" when it's at two bars.

Very strange!

If it's the software chip problem, I hope Apple will get that fix that supposedly they and Infineon are in the middle of testing out soon, rather than wait for 2.1 as we have been hearing. This is a real problem. The first one I've encountered in the several hours I've been playing with the phone.

I don't see how this can be a cell tower problem as it happens so quickly.

Several good things though. The battery seems to charge from the usb very quickly, and the keyboard is much easier to type on than I would have thought. I don't have big hands though. It's a matter of understanding exactly where your finger is making a touch. It's often not where you think it is.

When this happens, are you stationary or moving. For the most part I rarely switch back to EDGE unless I am on a Metro or out near a lake. The 3G coverage is quite good here. In fact I did a test with my other phones (Nokia N82, and Nokia E61). They follow the iPhone almost to the letter when switching from network to network. My iPhone will jump to EDGE sooner but my Nokia's usually follow a few moments later. When the iPhone goes back to 3G, so do the Nokia's. In most cases it looks like a software tuning problem but then again, who knows. Hell, I even get my iPhone wanting to jump on the wifi networks half the time as well.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The process does seem to be very inefficient to say the least. I think the guy asked me to give him several different pieces of information a few times.

I didn't ask why each phone had to be done by itself, after the primary number was entered, but that did slow it down. Other than that, there were no problems. Boy, people on line constantly!

I got a very definite impression that Apple wasn't expecting this level of interest.

The 95 number per store average is likely true, possibly even low, though New York is a big city.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    Quote:

When this happens, are you stationary or moving. For the most part I rarely switch back to EDGE unless I am on a Metro or out near a lake. The 3G coverage is quite good here. In fact I did a test with my other phones (Nokia N82, and Nokia E61). They follow the iPhone almost to the letter when switching from network to network. My iPhone will jump to EDGE sooner but my Nokia's usually follow a few moments later. When the iPhone goes back to 3G, so do the Nokia's. In most cases it looks like a software tuning problem but then again, who knows. Hell, I even get my iPhone wanting to jump on the wifi networks half the time as well.

Stationary. I may not even move the phone at all. It may be on my desk.

A while ago, it went from two bars and 3G to five bars and Edge.

I cantt find any correlation between signal strength and network standard. The entire thing seems to be random.

I don't have WiFi here at home yet because I wired the house with 1Gb Ethernet, but I'll be doing it before too long. I'll see what happens with that.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    Quote:

Boy, people on line constantly!

I think you meant to say something here, I just don't know what. Could that be constantly complain, constantly miss the point, always on line, or...?
  • Reply 57 of 74
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That statement would be more comforting if Motorola wasn't a declining business making phones of pretty shaky quality in many respects. I realize that it might not have been at all due to this person, but still, not comforting.

You know how corporate culture works. This might have been one of the guys warning his bosses that they were heading in the wrong direction, they didn't listen so he jumped a sinking ship.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    obiobi Posts: 3member
    To ad some perspective.

I live in the Netherlands, 3G coverage is considered to be better over here then in the US.

But that doesn't make difference, even here we have numerous reports on 3G connections that drop,

or where the iphone indicates 'no service' while other phones in the same area do have 3G service.

So with even better coverage the same problems occur.

It may be a 'small' percentage of Iphones that are affected, but the owners of these phones are a very 'vocal' about their 3G problems.

Even 1% of 3 million is a considerable amount of people that have problems with their Iphone.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I will get five bars and the 3G symbol, and then it will drop to two bars, stay there for a time, and move to some other number, sometimes one, or back to five.

Very strange!

This is normal behavior. It works the same way with Sierra 3G Express card on the MBP as well as iPhone.
  • Reply 60 of 74
    Well I don't know if my iPhones bad 3G connection is related to bad hardware or if it's just bad fine tuning that can be fixed by a software/firmware update but there is absolutely something wrong.

I travel a lot and where I usually get full 3G connections with other 3G phones I own the iPhone connection bars act like a roller coaster. I have tried this is with the same SIM card on three diffrent phones (LG KU990, Sony Ericsson 600m and Nokia N95) at home where I am just a couple of hundred meters from a celular tower.

Well what ever the problem is I hope they fix it somehow because in every other aspect the iPhone is very nice to use...