iPhone 3G reception issues to be relieved by software - report

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think you meant to say something here, I just don't know what. Could that be constantly complain, constantly miss the point, always on line, or...?

Sorry! I was talking in the context of people always being on line at the Apple store for the iPhone. There were more people on line when we left than when we arrived. They cut off new arrivals for the iPhone at 6:00 pm there, but sell until 8:00 pm.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This is normal behavior. It works the same way with Sierra 3G Express card on the MBP as well as iPhone.

That seems odd for normal behavior. My Treo 700p on Sprint never did that, nor did my older Samsung i300, or i330. They would change, but not like this.

This can happen in a matter of a fraction of a second. I can have five bars of Edge, and then in a fraction later, it will become two bars of 3G, then change to some other random combination.

Oh, and my daughter's phone number still hasn't been transferred from Sprint, so I'm going to have to make a call. Don't know about my wife's phone yet.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    In Aug 2007, Nomura claimed that the iPhone used 'Heat Sensitivity technology' and the screens would fail in 3 to six months.

Tech Trader Aug 10 2007 :

"research report from Nomura International analyst Richard

Windsor that raised questions about the durability of the

screens on the iPhone. He noted that there are reports that

some screens have developed ?dead spots".

"According to Marketwatch, Windsor wrote in a note today

that the iPhone screen uses a chemical deposition process

to provide touch sensitivity based on heat. The

international property rights for this technology, he said,

were purchased from a bankrupt Finnish company that was

trying to make a similar device. But according to

Marketwatch, ?that company encountered the

problem that with extensive use, the film would begin to

degrade and the screen would lose its sensitivity. Windsor

said the problem typically manifested itself within three to

six months."

_____

But of Course the iPhone does NOT use Heat Sensitivity. There is NO film. And of the millions of iPhones in use they hasn't been one "heat sensitivity" failure. Iphones use pressure capacitance technology.

For a 'research' firm like Nomura to make an error like this before when the information (diagrams and specs) of the iphone is easily available on the web shows the sloppy 'research' Nomura does and yet writers all over the net from Marketswatch, to Businessweek still quote them without MENTIONING THEIR PAST EPIC ERRORS is disturbing.

Nomura's Heat Sensitivity claim caused Apple stock to nosedive and now that apple is up, here is Nomura again.

Note also that NOMURA has been ACCUSED OF STOCK MANIPULATION by the Japanese Government.

New York Times:

"In the most serious accusations leveled in Japan's financial

scandals, the Nomura Securities Company, the world's

largest brokerage house, was charged today with violating

Japanese law by manipulating customers into a flurry of

buying that sent the price of a major stock soaring briefly

two years ago.

The charges were made in Parliament today by the Finance

Minister, Ryutaro Hashimoto. He effectively accused the

firm of running a scheme that left scores of customers with

heavy losses but benefited a select few -- including one of

Japan's top organized-crime bosses -- after the stock

collapsed. It was the first time in this country's recent

financial scandals that a brokerage house has been

charged formally with breaking the law."
  • Reply 64 of 74
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Stationary. I may not even move the phone at all. It may be on my desk.

A while ago, it went from two bars and 3G to five bars and Edge.

I cantt find any correlation between signal strength and network standard. The entire thing seems to be random.

I don't have WiFi here at home yet because I wired the house with 1Gb Ethernet, but I'll be doing it before too long. I'll see what happens with that.

Isn't it possible that interference can affect the number of bars you have on the 3G phone even though it is stationary?---Like other radio signals, airplanes,microwaves, etc---

.....and if you were to disregard the bars and note only the reception itself---do you have any

problems??

Here in Seattle I have had no problems---even in parks surrounded by trees---away from the city itself.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Udder silence?

Moof!
  • Reply 66 of 74
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I think lot of folks are having these issues and dont even know it: they just chalked it up to ATTs crappy network. I know I did at first, as I had only been able to compare iphones to TMobile and Verizon phones so not really a comparison: but I finally got my mits on an ATT Windows Mobile 3g phone and the difference is astounding.

I was about to raise hell about it, br I read an artical like the one posted and realized that AAPL us on the case.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I think lot of folks are having these issues and dont even know it: they just chalked it up to ATTs crappy network. I know I did at first, as I had only been able to compare iphones to TMobile and Verizon phones so not really a comparison: but I finally got my mits on an ATT Windows Mobile 3g phone and the difference is astounding.

I was about to raise hell about it, br I read an artical like the one posted and realized that AAPL us on the case.

You can rest assured that Apple will have a shit hemorrhage if it is successfully proven that the chips are the blame. Considering the fact that they did not release the phones to the network operators until the day before. No one does this. Nokia, SE, etc.... all release their phones for network testing. To think that Apple put a newly designed chip into one of their flagship products and did not properly field test it shows that Apple is either so full of itself or it believes its own hype. This is pure arrogance on their part. Maybe this will wake them up a bit. I guess it is so easy for them to remember that it is us customers that keep them in business, not the other way around. They need us more than we need them.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davewrite View Post

In Aug 2007, Nomura claimed that the iPhone used 'Heat Sensitivity technology' and the screens would fail in 3 to six months.

Tech Trader Aug 10 2007 :

"research report from Nomura International analyst Richard

Windsor that raised questions about the durability of the

screens on the iPhone. He noted that there are reports that

some screens have developed ?dead spots".

"According to Marketwatch, Windsor wrote in a note today

that the iPhone screen uses a chemical deposition process

to provide touch sensitivity based on heat. The

international property rights for this technology, he said,

were purchased from a bankrupt Finnish company that was

trying to make a similar device. But according to

Marketwatch, ?that company encountered the

problem that with extensive use, the film would begin to

degrade and the screen would lose its sensitivity. Windsor

said the problem typically manifested itself within three to

six months."

_____

But of Course the iPhone does NOT use Heat Sensitivity. There is NO film. And of the millions of iPhones in use they hasn't been one "heat sensitivity" failure. Iphones use pressure capacitance technology.

For a 'research' firm like Nomura to make an error like this before when the information (diagrams and specs) of the iphone is easily available on the web shows the sloppy 'research' Nomura does and yet writers all over the net from Marketswatch, to Businessweek still quote them without MENTIONING THEIR PAST EPIC ERRORS is disturbing.

Nomura's Heat Sensitivity claim caused Apple stock to nosedive and now that apple is up, here is Nomura again.

Note also that NOMURA has been ACCUSED OF STOCK MANIPULATION by the Japanese Government.

New York Times:

"In the most serious accusations leveled in Japan's financial

scandals, the Nomura Securities Company, the world's

largest brokerage house, was charged today with violating

Japanese law by manipulating customers into a flurry of

buying that sent the price of a major stock soaring briefly

two years ago.

The charges were made in Parliament today by the Finance

Minister, Ryutaro Hashimoto. He effectively accused the

firm of running a scheme that left scores of customers with

heavy losses but benefited a select few -- including one of

Japan's top organized-crime bosses -- after the stock

collapsed. It was the first time in this country's recent

financial scandals that a brokerage house has been

charged formally with breaking the law."

This guy Richard Windsor seems like a serial idiot.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

Isn't it possible that interference can affect the number of bars you have on the 3G phone even though it is stationary?---Like other radio signals, airplanes,microwaves, etc---

.....and if you were to disregard the bars and note only the reception itself---do you have any

problems??

Here in Seattle I have had no problems---even in parks surrounded by trees---away from the city itself.

I can't argue with that, as it's always possible.

A little while ago, I was playing a solitare game on my phone (Sol Free, great game of you want a solitare game without an entire bunch of others). The signal briefly went from several bars of Edge to "no service" and then back again. I've simply never had this with my Treo and Sprint, even though Sprint had poor coverage in some places.

As far as reception problems go, there are plenty when using internet services. Often, I won't get a page at all. It will keep trying to download with the wheel constantly turning. Then I'l get a "try later". This has happened with some of the biggest sites such as the NY Times MBL,Pandore Radio etc.

My daughters phone and my wife's phone have also experienced similar problems.

Yesterday, while going to a friends house in New Jersey, traveling in another friends car, coming from Forest Hills in NYC, I turned on Google maps.

Very interesting. The accuracy seems to be the same as his two GPS units (one is built-in, but he doesn't like it). As far as the car traveling on the maps went, it was in the exact same place as the car in his other units. Without turn by turn though, I couldn't really know if what I saw on the map was REALLY seen as accurate by the phone.

But, there seems to be a problem. When I'm stationary, the map fills the entire screen. But when in the car, most of the time, after the initialization of the location, the maps are only partial. So there may be a vertical map band on the screen, or some portion that is oddly shaped, while the rest of the screen shows a grey grid. The car is centered, as that's the location, so the grid moves, rather than the car. But the maps will move so that as we are moving, the car is on the grey grid instead. Then at odd intervals, a bit more map pops onto the screen. Very strange.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That seems odd for normal behavior. My Treo 700p on Sprint never did that, nor did my older Samsung i300, or i330. They would change, but not like this.

This can happen in a matter of a fraction of a second. I can have five bars of Edge, and then in a fraction later, it will become two bars of 3G, then change to some other random combination.

Oh, and my daughter's phone number still hasn't been transferred from Sprint, so I'm going to have to make a call. Don't know about my wife's phone yet.

Maybe it is just normal for AT&T. I just gained access to 3G recently and noticed that my laptop automatically found the 3G signal but exhibited the same irradict behavior as the iPhone, switching from 2.5G with strong bars to 3G with low bars.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    Just wanted to add that Gotreception.com (http://www.gotreception.com) is a great resource for finding out where reception problems are most likely to occur.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe it is just normal for AT&T. I just gained access to 3G recently and noticed that my laptop automatically found the 3G signal but exhibited the same irradict behavior as the iPhone, switching from 2.5G with strong bars to 3G with low bars.

One thing that occurred to me during the day Saturday, was that (as most people likely already understood), is that it's possible that the number of bars for 3G don't correlate directly with the number of bars for Edge.

What I mean is that the preference for network lookup is that the phone first looks for a viable 3G signal, which it then shows in bars. If the 3G falls below usability, it then switches to the Edge, where it shows the number of bars for that. Of course, while the signal for 3G might be insufficient, the signal for Edge might be quite strong. So a switch from a one bar 3G to a 4 bar Edge is likely.

While I realized all along that it would look to 3G first, and switch to Edge if that didn't work, it just occurred to me why the number of bars appeared as they did.

That makes it a bit easier to understand why it looks the way it does.

But, still, the quick moving of the signal strength is disturbing. Some pages don't download at all. Sometimes signal strength stays low for long periods, then jumps up for a short while, then back down for quite a while, even though AT&T said that strength in my area of Forest Hills was strong (with two AT&T stores just blocks from each other here, one selling the iPhone (a company store) and one not (a franchise).

When it works, it's amazing! But when it doesn't, it's frustrating.

I'm just hoping that the problem is related to firmware for the chip which can be updated.

But, games on this thing are great. Crash Bandicoot is fantastic on this thing. My daughter, who has every game machine known to man from the past ten years, was skeptical as to the usefulness of the iPhone for games. Not anymore!
  • Reply 73 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter34 View Post

Just wanted to add that Gotreception.com (http://www.gotreception.com) is a great resource for finding out where reception problems are most likely to occur.

Very useful indeed! I've bookmarked it.

Good first post. Thanks.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    spenzespenze Posts: 1member
    Just wear a pair of gloves.... accessorize yourself: