Apple gives another 60-day free extension for MobileMe

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    30 days plus 60 days should bring me to an expiration in January 2009, not December 2008. I'll give Apple a few days to fix this. If it's not fixed shortly, I'm gonna call

Apple Customer Relations at 1-800-767-2775

and tell them to credit me the complete 90 day extension for what we're not getting anymore.

I'm all for Apple's breakneck progress. Even so, why should I have to lose all the value of the ancillary .Mac services... especially Apple iCards!!

PLEASE don't kill Apple iCards!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/macsmiley/2652541101/

iWant Apple iCards Back, Too!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/macsmiley/2756802511/

There are two petitions clamoring for the return of Apple's iCards:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ic110608/petition.html

and

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/06291970/petition.html

Feel free to add your signature to the 1,000+ other voices crying in the wilderness!!
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 60-day extension also applies to any purchased upgrades, such as additional storage or a Family Pack upgrade.

I just checked my account status and the extension is NOT visible for someone who immediately upgraded after realizing that you can only back up homeopathic quantities on the trial account....
  • Reply 23 of 45
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I sympathise with everyone that has had a rough time with MobileMe. I rejoice at getting another 2 months free.

However I hope everyone that demands a refund to be awarded it, and I hope with this new Eddy Cue guy things get sorted.

So far, let's say Apple sold 3 million iPhone 3Gs. By the end of the year, they may sell another 6 to 8 million (just as a rough estimate).

Depending on MobileMe adoption rates (which may or may not be less in developing countries), if Apple doesn't have a concrete plan to progressively manage this stuff properly then MobileMe is truly f*ked for the rest of the year and maybe next year.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J-Shea View Post

I'm not using MobileMe with an iPhone, but the service was been working fine for syncing and e-mail with my two Macs and iPod Touch. Back to My Mac has worked well, too.

Been working great for me, with iTouch - iMac - PC(Web)
  • Reply 25 of 45
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

What about all the people who already had .Mac accounts and got something screwy instead of what they had subscribed originally to and had.

Agreed, the .Mac mail no longer works when I want to check it from work using a PC that I cannot load a different browser onto. Most of corp America are not allowed to load other browsers onto their PCs and if I want to check my mail I must now wait to get home. What is irritating is that this was changed and it is a service that I am paying for. They should have had a time when the old and new services would both work so people like me with .mac accounts could still use their e-mail.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I guess these extensions are a good way to ensure no-one encounters their renewal choice right now. But even those people whose anniversary wasn't coming up will be grateful.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangerdon View Post

Ok. Got the email which says they've extended my free membership for two months, but the expiration date is the original one. Hope that gets corrected.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

I just checked my account status and the extension is NOT visible for someone who immediately upgraded after realizing that you can only back up homeopathic quantities on the trial account....

The link in my email clearly states:

Quote:

Note: This article will be updated when all 60-day extensions have been made available. Please bookmark this page and check back in a few days. At this time, the MobileMe Support team is unable to provide additional information regarding this 60-day extension, so please refer to this article for updates in the meantime.

And in the Q&As

Quote:

When will the 60-day extension be applied to my account?

Your 60-day extension will be applied to your account within the next few days. You can check your account page on me.com to verify the change when it occurs.

I am very happy about the free 90 day extension as, apart from a couple of hours without mail, I have had no problems with the new service
  • Reply 28 of 45
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

I agree that MobileMe should have been delayed as a number of its problems were caused by the iPhone 3G launch hysteria that downed Apple's servers. But most new MobileMe users likely didn't pay $100. They probably signed up for the free trial, allowing them to try out the new service while also delaying the cost and commitment. Also, MobileMe's service, while still buggy and missing a few features like links to iDisk attachments, are pretty much firing on all cylinders.

They still have many of the same services intact - web email, Back to my Mac, Web Gallery, iDisk, syncing of desktop apps among multiple Macs (including bookmarks), and iWeb web hosting with 1-click publishing - in addition to the new, desktop-like SproutCore-powered web apps interface, and push email, contacts, and calendars, the latter two are new services.

Where's the smily with the tears? How many times have you repeated this mantra? Sorry, but your whining won't bring back the rather lackluster .Mac.

Shoot, what about all the paying home and small business subscribers depending on Google's web apps and online storage, who've had three major outages in the past week? Google hasn't done anything but apologize on their blog.

Listen up- my woes won't be gone.

And I am not whining- I'm suffering.

Seriously thank you for finally answering for me what I've been trying to ascertain here for the last 2 months: if the service works as good as prior to launch for those with the original .Mac. Based on your advice I will renew- and it better work or you will feel my wrath.

Whining is in the eyes of the beholder.

One man's whine is another man's complaint.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

calm down calm down. these things take time.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Seriously thank you for finally answering for me what I've been trying to ascertain here for the last 2 months: if the service works as good as prior to launch for those with the original .Mac. Based on your advice I will renew- and it better work or you will feel my wrath.

Suffering? A little over the top today? You have MM, which means you probably are not living in a third world country being beat to death because you are related to someone you shouldn't be.

I guess suffering is in the eye of the beholder.

-------

Apple has admitted the problem (more than I can say for Google regarding their paid for services we use at work), they are working on plan to fix it, they have given 90 days of free service out. I am not sure what else everyone thinks we are entitled too. To me, they are trying to make it right. I can accept that and move on with my life for the moment and live.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    zzcoopzzcoop Posts: 28member
    90 days, sweet!

Thanks to all of those who are apparently having some sort of problem!
  • Reply 32 of 45
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    Signed up for Mobile Me two days ago only because of the previous free trial ... Lucky me.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I keep getting two @me.com email accounts showing up in Apple Mail.

There must be a subtle difference between the two accounts, because every Mac that I go to that is synced via MobileMe always notifies me that it has to modify my email accounts.

It's been modifying my email accounts each time for about two months now...

God I hate MobileMe!
  • Reply 34 of 45
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brendon View Post

Agreed, the .Mac mail no longer works when I want to check it from work using a PC that I cannot load a different browser onto. Most of corp America are not allowed to load other browsers onto their PCs and if I want to check my mail I must now wait to get home. What is irritating is that this was changed and it is a service that I am paying for. They should have had a time when the old and new services would both work so people like me with .mac accounts could still use their e-mail.

I've heard this one before. If your boss is hunky dory about you checking your personal email on company time, he or she should be fine with you downloading a standards-compliant browser like Firefox or Safari so you can check it.

With that said, you can use MobileMe in IE, Apple simply puts up a disclaimer because Microsoft's browser may not do everything perfectly.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Terrible? OMG in what cave are you living. You haven't seen Horrible Service.

Apple spoils us too much and we get so picky.

Oh please. In case it wasn't evident from my previous post, I'll clarify that it is 'terrible' relative to the non-Apple email offerings out there.

I'll repeat: It is shameful that Apple can't put together some decent email software.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    zzcoopzzcoop Posts: 28member
    You 1% people sure do whine a lot!
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:

Using the words woe and suffering to describe your experience with an online service constitutes as whining on this planet.

Quote:

Seriously thank you for finally answering for me what I've been trying to ascertain here for the last 2 months: if the service works as good as prior to launch for those with the original .Mac. Based on your advice I will renew

So, if I understand you right, you've been bitching and moaning about MobileMe, even though you haven't actually been using it first hand? Maybe whining was the wrong word. Trolling would be a better descriptor.

Quote:

- and it better work or you will feel my wrath.

If you're wrath includes more whining/trolling, then I'd prefer you not renew as there are still bugs. Of course, there are still problems with gmail after all these years, Exchange wasn't good for a number of years after its release. .Mac ran into trouble sometimes too.

If you're willing to reset your unrealistically high standards for fledgeling services - and new things in general - you'll probably have an easier time getting through life.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh please. In case it wasn't evident from my previous post, I'll clarify that it is 'terrible' relative to the non-Apple email offerings out there.

I'll repeat: It is shameful that Apple can't put together some decent email software.

Oh give me a break! MobileMe offers the first push email, contacts, and calendar service to consumers and after a rocky debut, the 1% affected by email problems have had their service restored and now we all have free 90 day extensions for the bugs. Also, Mail on the desktop works great and the iPhone implementation is the first desktop-class email application on a smartphone.

Oversimplifying MobileMe down to a web email service weakens your argument tremendously.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Using the words woe and suffering to describe your experience with an online service constitutes as whining on this planet.

So, if I understand you right, you've been bitching and moaning about MobileMe, even though you haven't actually been using it first hand? Maybe whining was the wrong word. Trolling would be a better descriptor.

If you're wrath includes more whining/trolling, then I'd prefer you not renew as there are still bugs. Of course, there are still problems with gmail after all these years, Exchange wasn't good for a number of years after its release. .Mac ran into trouble sometimes too.

If you're willing to reset your unrealistically high standards for fledgeling services - and new things in general - you'll probably have an easier time getting through life.

Listen up Woe-be-gone -

1.) You obviously cannot take a joke.

2.) MObileme from what people who do have it and post on here is still f*&cked up. And I can bitch and moan that I cannot renew my .MAc account as I had one right before the change to mobileme. Apple hasn't transitioned this right at all and many, not just me, are pissed off.

3.) Having something that actually works as advertised is an "unrealistically high standards for fledgeling services"? You sound like Steve Balmer using an excuse for Vista @ Microsh*t.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:

Oh give me a break! MobileMe offers the first push email, contacts, and calendar service to consumers and after a rocky debut, the 1% affected by email problems have had their service restored and now we all have free 90 day extensions for the bugs. Also, Mail on the desktop works great and the iPhone implementation is the first desktop-class email application on a smartphone.

Oversimplifying MobileMe down to a web email service weakens your argument tremendously.

Give you a break? Sure, take one.

What part of my having email problems - admittedly within a broader service - are you having difficulty comprehending? Or, is my point invalid simply because my use of the service doesn't parallel yours? Btw, please provide a link for where you saw that only 1% was affected. And, what does 'service restored' mean - that it works as it should, or it is restored? And, if it works as advertised, why Apple's mea cupla?

Quit the arrogance (and being an apologist).