Next-gen iPod nano, iPod touch dimensions revealed?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    We all know that the only physical dimensions that matter in this product intro are Steve Jobs'.

Personally, I'm hoping those dimensions will be a little heftier. If only to shut up the chicken littles.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i wonder if wifi will be included...app store and all that.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

We all know that the only physical dimensions that matter in this product intro are Steve Jobs'.

Personally, I'm hoping those dimensions will be a little heftier. If only to shut up the chicken littles.

I prefer Steve the way he is. As in, not an overweight sweaty chair thrower like Ballmer.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You either missed the point or aren't reading. How is Apple going to announce, and have their stores stocked with all models in all speeds that very day before others can announce them and have them on their websites for sale but shipping out days later? But that isn't even what your suggesting, you suggest that Apple doesn't care about Macs or its users because it doesn't have the next gen Intel chips well before other others due and in quantities that exceeding their competitors? How exactly is Apple going to get ahold of these Intel chips well before everyone else? These aren't some oddball chip that Intel is using Apple to promote, These are the the mainstream chips of which Apple uses a butt-load more than the others out of the gate. HP and Dell sell a lot more computers than Apple, but Apple has 66% of the >$1000 consumer notebook market and they do it with only using 6 different chips from Intel. That is not the same as Dell and HP using Intel's gamut and selling mostly old tech in <$700 notebooks.

Look you are stating lots of facts and simply not agreeing on the truth which is that Dell and other companies are ready with new Intel chips now. But where is Apple? Are they ready with new Intel chips? And we will see which notebook with the latest chips and other hardware see the light of the day first. Okay? I would say that you are not reading carefully and missing my point completely. And can you provide any authentic data that Apple has 66 percent share in 1000$ notebook market? I don't know if it is true and if it is true than it is true only for the US. I am damn sure that it is not true in other parts of the world.

edit: Your assertion that Dell and HP sell mostly low budget notebook is quite funny. You can't prove it.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    I've got a wild idea on how to improve on the iPod: make them sound better!

With Apple's constant updates to milk more money from consumers, the least that the company can do is improve the sound quality of the product by including better headphone out-put amps and better DACs. I guess as long as the commodity is shiny and cool looking, then many people will buy it, regardless of how it actually sounds.
  • Reply 46 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holywarrior007 View Post

And can you provide any authentic data that Apple has 66 percent share in 1000$ notebook market? I don't know if it is true and if it is true than it is true only for the US. I am damn sure that it is not true in other parts of the world.

I would be shocked if this were true. In fact, I doubt that Apple even outsells a single big maker like Toshiba and HP in the under $1,000 market.
  • Reply 47 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Look you are stating lots of facts and simply not agreeing on the truth which is that Dell and other companies are ready with new Intel chips now. But where is Apple? Are they ready with new Intel chips? And we will see which notebook with the latest chips and other hardware see the light of the day first. Okay? I would say that you are not reading carefully and missing my point completely. And can you provide any authentic data that Apple has 66 percent share in 1000$ notebook market? I don't know if it is true and if it is true than it is true only for the US. I am damn sure that it is not true in other parts of the world.

You've completely ignored the parts that Apple has never had these chips before the others. The business models are different. I can't walk into a Staples and get a Dell or HP with Centrino 2, only on their websites and only from select models. Let's not forget that you were originally claiming that Apple isn't concerned with Macs at all and that they only update their machine with minor incremental updates despite the facts and the multiple links I've supplied to you clearly point out that Apple is updating their machines in succession with Intel's update cycle. You also falsely claim that Apple has historically beaten the other OEMs to the punch with selling the non-specialized Intel chips but you have supplied no data to support that and it's quite clear that has never been the case for the reasons outlines above.

A little Googling goes a long way..
    edit: Yeah, i can, but it takes a smidgen of rationale thought. If NPD reports that Apple owns 66% of the >$1000 notebook market in the US, but that is has less than a 1/3 of that percentage for all notebooks in the US, overall, then the other OEMS must sell most of their product at cheaper prices. There are also plenty of reports on the average price of a Mac notebook sale vs other OEM sales. It's up for discussion, not for debate!
  • Reply 48 of 77
    From your little 'Googling link', I came to know that Apple has 66% share in 1000$ 'computers' market not in 'notebook market' as you claimed. This is no surprise because Apple only sells computers priced >1000$. And I still maintain that probably for Apple Macs are not such a big priority now that is why they lag and they update them not alongside with other companies but a little later. Moreover, in computer hardware they can't come up with anything that can differentiate them from other computer makers. It is only their OS X that stands tall. And of course they are doing only minor incremental changes in computer hardware. That is evident from their catalogue. See yourself.

Regarding my assertion that they were ahead in past. I couldn't provide u a link for that but everyone knows this. Traditionally Apple hardware has been the best in computers before they faced a slump in business and moved to Intel chips.

Why can't Apple have these chips alongside others? What are they doing? Probably busy in making 'music players' and selling 'cellphones'.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    It's not that it's AutoCAD it's that it looks like AutoCAD from the early 90's - I would just expect something better than that from a company like Apple. As I menionted there's also the lack of diameter dimensions makes the drawings nearly useless unless defined elsewhere.
  • Reply 50 of 77
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I'm getting less and less excited about this event by the day. I hope Steve has a few surprises up his sleeve and we don't end up simply with another re-shaped iPod Nano and an iPod Touch which looks like an iPhone and nothing else. What about an iPod with a 5" screen or a Wireless iPod, etc, etc. The competition has really raised their game recently with highly desirable new models and Apple needs to stay ahead of the pack.
  • Reply 51 of 77
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

Well, since WiFi is included in the current model, my guess is yes
  • Reply 52 of 77
    Just cause you update your line after your competitors doesn't mean you're not the best

I'm pretty sure cell phones were around long before the iPhone even existed on paper.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    Quote:

Regarding my assertion that they were ahead in past. I couldn't provide u a link for that but everyone knows this. Traditionally Apple hardware has been the best in computers before they faced a slump in business and moved to Intel chips.

The slump they faced was the PPC chips THAT NO OTHER PC OEM USED was getting too far behind x86 chips, especially on the notebook side. So you are now changing your story from "They had the chips before others" to "they had PPC chip that were faster than the X86 chips that others were using"? How exactly are you measuring measuring what the release schedule of a completely different architectures did in relation to another one? Furthermore, the facts that c86 was progressing, G5 never did make it to the laptop and Apple dropped all their PPC chips quickly to go to Intel is a clear sign that they were falling too far behind in speed, especially with notebooks. It was a dead end! So tell me, how is Apple going to get chips from Intel that everyone is using long before everyone else and at quantities that exceed everyone else?
  • Reply 54 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Well, since WiFi is included in the current model, my guess is yes

Assuming we are talking about the Nano or Classic, my guess is no. I think Apple wants to keep the more complex features on the iPhone and Touch. Plus, the apps would have to be rewritten to accommodate smaller screens with less resolution and a clickwheel for input. They might offer WiFi, but not because of the App Store. Incidentally, it's all the unusual I/Os that is making having a centralized App Store as simple as Apple's.
  • Reply 55 of 77
    Look you should read my post carefully. I said Apple should also do the update around the same time when other makers are doing..got it...and I never focused on Intel chips alone. There are lots of things in hardware category which can be updated. I asked you before can you tell me something in hardware category which other computer makers don't have and Apple has it. And I can tell you few things which others have and Apple doesn't have currently.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

It can hardly be 0.42cm thinner, otherwise it's going to be only 0.23cm thick. You can already call that a knife.

Maybe the thickness difference is mm but the other dimensions cm? Otherwise, the unit would be almost exactly the same dimensions as the old version.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    @ tundraboy

And what happens when you turn the device on its side? Right, nothing works. No offense, but every time I see one of those mock-ups, I throw up a little.

I'll be so glad when this Zuney nightmare gets put out of its misery next Tuesday.
  • Reply 59 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

@ tundraboy

And what happens when you turn the device on its side? Right, nothing works. No offense, but every time I see one of those mock-ups, I throw up a little.

I'll be so glad when this Zuney nightmare gets put out of its misery next Tuesday.

What do you mean? Why wouldn't anything work?
  • Reply 60 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What do you mean? Why wouldn't anything work?

Look at the click-wheel. Now imagine it sideways when watching videos in landscape. Error - does not compute.

You'd either be pressing up and down to fast forward and reverse, left to go back to the list and right to play/pause, OR the click-wheel controls would auto-change while the icons indicating the different functions on the physical wheel would remain the same.

Neither mode of control makes sense.