Next-gen iPod nano, iPod touch dimensions revealed?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Dimensional drawings said to depict Apple's next-generation digital media players suggest the company is about to unveil its thinnest iPod nano yet alongside a new version of the iPod touch that will be marginally thicker than its predecessor.

The drawings, published over at iLounge, show an iPod nano that will mark a return of the tall and narrow form factor, checking in at 0.75mm taller, 1.25mm narrower, and 0.42mm thinner than the second-generation iPod nanos introduced during the fall of 2006.

Although the drawings portray a more pronounced oval-shaped body than the second generation nanos, the player's aluminum enclosure will reportedly give way to a plastic covered screen that is flat, and doesn't share the same curvature as the iPod's body, as some earlier reports had suggested.

Meanwhile, the second-generation iPod touch is shown in the drawings to adopt several design cues from Apple's new iPhone 3G, including the use of a more tapered enclosure that will produce a thinning effect.

Compared to the existing iPod touch, the new model is said to be the same width, but 1mm taller and 0.4mm thicker. Also apparent from the drawings are the presence of physical volume controls on the side of the device (iPhone style), addressing one of the most widely cited shortcomings of the first-generation model.

Supposed drawings of next-gen iPods | Source : iLounge

While iLounge maintains that its drawings should be considered rumor and speculation, they largely correlate with existing reports of slim form factor nanos and slightly modified iPod touches.

Separately, iPod casemaker XSKN is now promoting fourth-generation iPod nano protectors (below) on its website that match the aforementioned description.

Apple is set to unveil its new iPod offerings at a special event next Tuesday in San Francisco.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    Could be real, but then again it's not that difficult to fake a CAD drawing.
  • Reply 2 of 77
    People still use AutoCAD?!?!?! Those mockups are u-g-l-y and the drawing tools are pretty crappy. That really looks like AutoCAD from when I was in college!
  • Reply 3 of 77
    So the iPod Touch is going to look just like an iPhone minus the phone features.... \ so original.... I wish they could keep the iPod Touch more unique to itself instead of matching the iPhone. Why not make it thinner and more square on the back.

I am not sure how you currently change the volume on a iPod Touch but wouldn't it be easy enough to adjust the volume right from the touch screen in any menu you are on or anywhere on the screen.... like maybe do a double tap on the screen and it comes up with a volume adjustment and you slide your fingers across. Just thinking out loud.

I think the new iPod Nanos are going to look real nice... I had another weird thought the other day. They should take the current phatt iPod Nanos and add a clip on the back of it just like the shuffle and turn it into a shuffle replacement.... that thing is already so small it be a perfect shuffle replacement with screen and yet small enough to jog with (if it had a clip).
  • Reply 4 of 77
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

So the iPod Touch is going to look just like an iPhone minus the phone features.... \ so original.... I wish they could keep the iPod Touch more unique to itself instead of matching the iPhone. Why not make it thinner and more square on the back.

I am not sure how you currently change the volume on a iPod Touch but wouldn't it be easy enough to adjust the volume right from the touch screen in any menu you are on or anywhere on the screen.... like maybe do a double tap on the screen and it comes up with a volume adjustment and you slide your fingers across. Just thinking out loud.

I think the new iPod Nanos are going to look real nice... I had another weird thought the other day. They should take the current phatt iPod Nanos and add a clip on the back of it just like the shuffle and turn it into a shuffle replacement.... that thing is already so small it be a perfect shuffle replacement with screen and yet small enough to jog with (if it had a clip).

touch currently allows double-tap to get a volume, but that means you have to fireup the screen and look at the device. The need is for physical volume control to allow blind adjustment.

I think its funny that after all the moaning about the 'phatty' last year, people are now complaing about how the revival of the slim design looks like a Zune. People have no memories.

I personally think the original Nano design was the best of anything except the touch, and think the slightly stretched revival will be great. Too bad I don't need one.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    Bye bye, Fatty!

I never really liked the look of the scroll wheel sitting in all that white space.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

So the iPod Touch is going to look just like an iPhone minus the phone features.... \ so original.... I wish they could keep the iPod Touch more unique to itself instead of matching the iPhone. Why not make it thinner and more square on the back....

Well it's certainly not going to be exactly the same, so your criticism is a bit off IMO.

Even a quick look at these drawings suggest a very *different* camera than the iPhone one (if that is a camera hole), perhaps with a flash? Also, there does not appear to be speaker holes on the bottom, and the earphone jack is still on the bottom not on the top like an iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Well it's certainly not going to be exactly the same, so your criticism is a bit off IMO.

Even a quick look at these drawings suggest a very *different* camera than the iPhone one (if that is a camera hole), perhaps with a flash? Also, there does not appear to be speaker holes on the bottom, and the earphone jack is still on the bottom not on the top like an iPhone.

very different huh, you can tell that by the CAD drawing... amazing... I don't see 'very different' in those drawings but hey, it could be just me.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The nano looks nice but there is a lot of wasted real-estate there. I hope the screen will be wider / longer. Well, if you are able to flip the thing on its side and use it in wide screen format, that is. I also think the big change for the iPod Touch will be the price. And all of them will get larger capacities.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The nano looks nice but there is a lot of wasted real-estate there. I hope the screen will be wider / longer. Well, if you are able to flip the thing on its side and use it in wide screen format, that is.

It's already being shown to come over the beveled area. that means it's set in so the front isn't a smooth transtion from case to screen, or the screen jettisons over the sides.

Quote:

I also think the big change for the iPod Touch will be the price.

I agree.

Quote:

And all of them will get larger capacities.

I don't see how.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    Are the units here correct? Is it really mm or should it be cm. 0.42mm thinner... barely measurable!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The drawings, published over at iLounge, show an iPod nano that will mark a return of the tall and narrow form factor, checking in at 0.75mm taller, 1.25mm narrower, and 0.42mm thinner than the second-generation iPod nanos introduced during the fall of 2006.

• Reply 11 of 77
    Although iPods and iPhones bring lots of revenues to Apple Inc. However it is not so good for Apple to focus on these things so much. Apple is known for computers, and of late they have given a low priorities to computers. It is really bad. They are not caring to be ahead of others in revamping the computers specifically. It is really funny to see that they are going to offer new iPods before new MacBooks. It is so stupid. Perhaps in future they would like to be known as a company which sells music players and cellphones, not computers.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holywarrior007 View Post

Although iPods and iPhones bring lots of revenues to Apple Inc. However it is not so good for Apple to focus on these things so much. Apple is known for computers, and of late they have given a low priorities to computers. It is really bad. They are not caring to be ahead of others in revamping the computers specifically. It is really funny to see that they are going to offer new iPods before new MacBooks. It is so stupid. Perhaps in future they would like to be known as a company which sells music players and cellphones, not computers.

Can you explain in detail?
  • Reply 13 of 77
    Quote:

They did drop the word computers from their name \
  • Reply 14 of 77
    Quote:

This has been the goal all along. Remember when they officially changed their name from "Apple Computer" to "Apple, Inc."? Think that was on a whim?

It's called transition.

Apple is transitioning from a "Hi-Tech" company (like an Intel, Google, or DotCom) into a consumer electronics company (like a Sony, Panasonic, etc.).

AND, I disagree. being a software engineer who regularly works on pre-release builds of OSX, they work quite hard to improve the OS with every revision.

If you refer to the hardware, remember, they look to get a lot of life out of their machines. Have more patience.
  • Reply 15 of 77
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's already being shown to come over the beveled area. that means it's set in so the front isn't a smooth transtion from case to screen, or the screen jettisons over the sides.

I mean the aspect ratio looks like it is 4:3. Be nice if it was 16:9. It is nicely proportioned, though.

In terms of storage capacity I am guessing a size up from what it is now as long as the physical size remains the same, obviously. I am assuming you know more than me, here, so reading between your lines I take it this is not a possibility?
  • Reply 16 of 77
    Ugh, can't they just wait for Tuesday's press conference? iLounge just put in a predictable iPod touch redesign to add credibility to their Zuneish nano concept, which Kevin Rose then took as his own. Now the latter concept drawings are likely being used to drum up anticipation for a nonexistent product so the usual tech pundits can manufacture bad news from an otherwise positive press event.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    At this point I'm more interested in the Touch even though I have an iPhone. Music can stay on the iPhone and the potential is there for the use of the Touch for video only.

In any event here are some of the things I'm hoping for:

Physical volume and mute controls.

Analog in and high quality at that. Ideally using the same plug arraingement as the iPhone. While I'm certain that would quickly be put to use for VoIP I have other uses in mine. One would be for voice notes which a built in mic might handle it is just that external mics are more flexible.

A USB port with host functionality. This ideally would be on a second physical connector but I'd settle for a port implemented on the dock connector. The idea being to support USB fully. Obviously there are limits on power here but being able to use card readers and flash dongles would be fantastic.

I mentioned above a single mic input which should be high priority. Frankly though sterio in would be excellent especially if the inputs are high quality.

BluTooth would be nice but I'm begining to wonder if Apple will ever support it fully. Blutooth just provides for a huge amount of I/O options.

GPS. Mixed feelings here as it might drive up the price to much. One of the reasons that I mentioned USB and BluTooth first is that they give options for things like GPS. Still I believe that location aware apps will become huge.

A camera. Here I'd like to say the following to Apple: "If you can't do it right don't bother". Thank you very much. Doing it right means having a physical shutter release button to start with. IPhone cam sucks in this respect as the touch screen just doesn't cut it for this sort of use. Since a camera might be limited to the high end how about dome high end controls. For example on screen sliders for exposure control. On the iPhone autoexposure screws up to much and frankly I get better results when I can control what is happening. As to mega pixels and all that crap, remember optical quality first and focus control. The Touch interface provides Apple with an amazing potential here to really own the compact camera market if they wanted to.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    While I'm not calling fake, I find it surprising that Apple would use AutoCAD. If they were Catia or ProE or SolidWorks, sure, but AutoCAD? Everyone uses 3D modeling software now for anything past very rough sketching.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

In terms of storage capacity I am guessing a size up from what it is now as long as the physical size remains the same, obviously. I am assuming you know more than me, here, so reading between your lines I take it this is not a possibility?

I've looked high and low for larger flash drives at lower prices but I can't find any. It was only in February that the 32GB Touch came out. They are just not coming out with 32B MicroSD cards and those cost over $300. It's too cost prohibitive. I think we'll see price drops and some minor changes changes across the board but the size of the Touch and Classic pretty concrete in size right now unless Apple changes things up in a major way... which they could do. I guess we'll find out next week.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianb08 View Post

Are the units here correct? Is it really mm or should it be cm. 0.42mm thinner... barely measurable!

I was wondering that too, it must be cm or it would be almost identical to the current one - might want to correct that, AI.

So looks like still 4:3, they're going sideways but no widescreen? Seems like a missed opportunity. And how does nano screen size compare to the current model, same or smaller?