Claims renew iTunes 8 expectations, slate iPhone 2.1 for event

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I don't want to deal with two copies of everything.

I suppose it would be nice if iTunes kept two copies but only shows it to the user as one. But transcoding everything as it gets sent to an iPod can really slow things down.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

The main reason I ever connect my iPod to a computer is to grab podcasts. My music is fairly static. That's why I want the wifi sync. The pieces are already in place, it seems crazy not to implement them. It doesn't seem like asking for too much. I'm downstairs in the kitchen, the ipod is in a dock charging, it would be nice to walk out the door without having to go upstairs to plug it in, wait for it to sync, unplug it. Having it sync the podcasts automatically in the background? I think there would be real value there for a lot of users. But maybe not you.

There are several changes that need to be made, and I suppose I would applaud all of them. One is to be able to schedule podcast fetching. iTunes will fetch on a set interval, but you can't set what time the interval hits, say 3am every day rather than daily, but at some arbitrary time that the program doesn't say. Then you'd also have to have a setting that pushes the updates to the iPhone when playlists are updated. In my opinion, wireless syncing does no good if you have to manually tell it to sync, wireless transfer is just too slow to have to manually tell it to sync each morning during the morning routine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Actually, I'd like the remote play/pause/skip funcitonality (from the eaebuds clicker or from car controls) have the option to NOT bring up the iPod app. Those means of remote control are great for not having to look at the touchscreen while it's in your car or pocket. But they make you exit the app you're in.

On mine, I can use the clicker (mine is Shure Music Phone Adapter) to play/pause/skip in Google Maps or any app without it leaving the that app. Maybe there's a configuration to change the behavior.

Go to Preferences -> General -> Home Button, have it set on "iPod", and have "iPod Controls" set to "on". That way, if music is playing, double clicking the Home button brings up a dashboard-like control rather than opening the iPod app.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

This has been my most-wanted feature too since the iPod Nano was released. I really don't understand why it's still not there. I could fit so much more music on my iPhone.

My other most wanted feature is video playlists. People have been asking for this for 3 years.

Video playlists have been available for some time. I have some, I just don't send any to my iPhone because of the size issues.
  • Reply 42 of 98
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The remote for the AppleTV has volume controls.

I'm sorry I picked this up in the middle perhaps but do the volume controls work? Only on front row - right? and not the ATV itself.
  • Reply 43 of 98
    I'm not looking forward to iTunes 8.1.0 to 8.1.9 every other week it seemed like last time. Please get it right the first time.
  • Reply 44 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm sorry I picked this up in the middle perhaps but do the volume controls work? Only on front row - right? and not the ATV itself.

Perhaps. I thought it would control the volume with it, but I don't have one available for testing right now. From Wikipedia, "The remote does not control audio volume on Apple TV."
  • Reply 45 of 98
    Forget the new features for 2.1, how about just fixing the stupid instability that seems to brick so many iPhones. That should be the focus right now. The features can wait.
  • Reply 46 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Forget the new features for 2.1, how about just fixing the stupid instability that seems to brick so many iPhones. That should be the focus right now. The features can wait.

I haven't heard about a bunch of iPhones getting bricked. I've read about and experienced certain apps crashing and slowness, but not a bricking of the device. I didn't think it was possible to brick an iPhone with the simple recovery mode option.
  • Reply 47 of 98
    Quote:

Perhaps. I thought it would control the volume with it, but I don't have one available for testing right now. From Wikipedia, "The remote does not control audio volume on Apple TV."

Right- I've just tested it watching trailers- doesn't work. Does the iPhone remote control app work for volume?
  • Reply 48 of 98
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

... are missed call reminder beeps.

Yes! And while we're at it, beeps to notify us of new, unplayed voicemails and emails.

And hey - let us pick the sounds to play. I miss my Homer Simpson telling me that I have new mail (pc days of long ago...).

I'd also like the Maps to be installed on the iPhone, rather than edge. It sucks for me that when I need to go somewhere, that doesn't have ATT (I know, ATT has the best coverage, um, NOT), I lose my maps. My Touch had the maps on it.

Also, wouldn't it be great if they'd have the ability to remove the pauses in the middle of the songs, when switching tracks, when I rip my 8 tracks?
  • Reply 49 of 98
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

This is my take on it: do change the volume on your dvd player, cable box, or your game console?

Most people change the volume on their tv or their home theater system, not on every video box they have connected to the tv. Imagine the frustration of cranking up the volume on apple tv (and not hearing anything) only to find that your tv volume is turned way down.
  • Reply 50 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

My Touch had the maps on it.

Which Touch is this? the iPhone and iPod Touch require an internet connection, whether is be EDGE, UTMS/HSDPA(3G) or WiFi, to access Google Maps. I know Tom Tom was interested in making an app for mobile OS X, but since that would be a 3rdparty app, it would close if you took a call or accessed another part of the device. Hopefully, there will be something because I'd rather not have to carry around multiple devices, though the current system works very well if you don't need voice instructions.
  • Reply 51 of 98
    It would be nice if apple would spin off some of itunes features into a seperate app. Video and TV seem like obvious choices. Feel like the app is getting a little bloated. Music, podcasts, video, tv device manager, most the time I just want to play music.
  • Reply 52 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

This is my take on it: do change the volume on your dvd player, cable box, or your game console?

Most people change the volume on their tv or their home theater system, not on every video box they have connected to the tv. Imagine the frustration of cranking up the volume on apple tv (and not hearing anything) only to find that your tv volume is turned way down.

That's right- I use my amp remote for volume and I wouldn't want the ATV volume to be controlled separately either.

I look at it more like: imagine the frustration of cranking your amp up only to realize the ATV is turned down low.
  • Reply 53 of 98
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Given that every device seems to have its own idea of what the typical volume should be, it would be nice if they all at least had a configurable volume level, though only hidden in a setup menu.
  • Reply 54 of 98
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Given that every device seems to have its own idea of what the typical volume should be, it would be nice if they all at least had a configurable volume level, though only hidden in a setup menu.

That would be helpful, for sure.
  • Reply 55 of 98
    I'd like to see Safari not having to reload a web page every time you return to the browser or the tab.
  • Reply 56 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'd like to see Safari not having to reload a web page every time you return to the browser or the tab.

Is that new with v2.0, because I don't recall that happening all last year.
  • Reply 57 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farmer2 View Post

It would be nice if apple would spin off some of itunes features into a seperate app. Video and TV seem like obvious choices. Feel like the app is getting a little bloated. Music, podcasts, video, tv device manager, most the time I just want to play music.

Maybe iTunes could spin around (a la Fast User Switching) with a different "store front" for Music & Video, Apps, Books, and whatever else....
  • Reply 58 of 98
    A better Apple TV remote would be nice.
  • Reply 59 of 98
    Quote:

Is that new with v2.0, because I don't recall that happening all last year.

When I relaunch the browser or flip through my tabs the page always has to reload.
  • Reply 60 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

When I relaunch the browser or flip through my tabs the page always has to reload.

It happens to me too. My question was if this only occurred with v2.x of the firmware, because I don't recall it happening with v1.x.