Claims renew iTunes 8 expectations, slate iPhone 2.1 for event

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

The problem with this is that the Apple TV does not accept anything but music tracks in its playlists. It does not accept music videos, TV shows, movies, podcasts (both video and audio) or any other type of track that is not a pure audio track.

I see your point, now. I just made a video playlist and tried to add a single TV show and movie to it and then sync to the iPhone. Nothing! I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to have the exact playlists carry over from iTunes to the AppleTV or iPhone. I suppose I could understand this more on the iPod OS, which is more limited, but all the devices mentioned above are using OS X.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squirrel_Monkey View Post

Also, Apple needs to figure out how the handle Apps between iPhone and desktop iTunes. I think there is a "chicken and egg" problem. I would rather that iTunes be able to update Apps even if they have been updated separately on the iPhone. Apple needs to assume that the iPhone could run into its own problems dealing with App updates -- a known fact with 2.0.x.

I haven't had any issues with my App downloads not working, but the App Store on the iPhone vs. iTunes issue a mess. Both will tell me that I have an update. If I do it from the iPhone first, iTunes still has a badge saying I have an update for an app but when I go to update it the app is not in the list. The only solution at this point is to delete the app from iTunes and choose to push it over from the device when it syncs.

Going the other way now has me updating the app twice. My Mobile Applications is a complete mess of multiple apps with consecutive numbers after them. I understand this is Apple's way of keeping older versions, but they need to stuck them into a subfolder labeled Defunctified Apps (or something) so I don't have to check the date it was added to find the latest one. The first issue can be handled with a token passing or have iTunes keep a better list of the app version.
  • Reply 82 of 98
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I see your point, now. I just made a video playlist and tried to add a single TV show and movie to it and then sync to the iPhone. Nothing! I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to have the exact playlists carry over from iTunes to the AppleTV or iPhone. I suppose I could understand this more on the iPod OS, which is more limited, but all the devices mentioned above are using OS X.

Agreed. Especially as my Touch handles music videos and video podcasts in playlists.
  • Reply 83 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Agreed. Especially as my Touch handles music videos and video podcasts in playlists.

I could be wrong, but that makes it look like it's an artificial limitation since some videos can be synced to playlists. Hopefully iTunes 8 solves this, but I wouldn't get your expectations up too much. There are some core issues with iTunes that haven't been addresses from the start.

For starters, classical music isn't categorized by composer, not artist. They could at teh very least offer a Classical music option in the left hand column that addresses this. Such music stored would be in a classical folder in the iTunes Music folder and have the correct hierarchy in both the file system and displayed in iTunes.
  • Reply 84 of 98
    Quote:

It happens to me too. My question was if this only occurred with v2.x of the firmware, because I don't recall it happening with v1.x.

Yeah, it did not happen as often with 1.x
  • Reply 85 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

my workaround for retaining a patch of important information is capturing a screenshot to the Photos app

but yes I'd like Safari to retain more

I was referring to the iPhone's Safari.
  • Reply 86 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

... I think the point is that some people want to have pure lossless quality at home and for their "master library," while using compression on the go for the sake of having more music.

They want BOTH formats for different uses--as can be done with the Shuffle in a very nice automatic way.

Makes sense to me.

This (quite literally) is like saying they want to "have their cake and eat it too."

Understandable? yes.

Practical or do-able? not so much.
  • Reply 87 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This (quite literally) is like saying they want to "have their cake and eat it too."

This is one phrase that needs to be stated the other way around: "Eat your cake and have it too"

I also find the "razor and blades business model" confusing. I can't help but think of razor as blades. I prefer "razor and handle business model".

I'm guessing I'm not the only one...
  • Reply 88 of 98
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

I could be wrong, but that makes it look like it's an artificial limitation since some videos can be synced to playlists. Hopefully iTunes 8 solves this, but I wouldn't get your expectations up too much. There are some core issues with iTunes that haven't been addresses from the start.

For starters, classical music isn't categorized by composer, not artist. They could at teh very least offer a Classical music option in the left hand column that addresses this. Such music stored would be in a classical folder in the iTunes Music folder and have the correct hierarchy in both the file system and displayed in iTunes.

I've always believed that it was an artificial limitation, there is no reason for playlist not to work across the board. After all they are nothing but lists of tracks. The kind of tracts are irrelevant.

My hope for v8 is a complete revamping of the filing system and the improvement of adding, revising and sorting of meta data. In addition to what you want I should be able to tag a file as a podcast, revise the release date and others that are skipping my mind right now. But more importantly I want to be able to distribute my master library across multiple storage locations and to create library subsets that work with and in conjunction with the master library. i.e. keep a subset of my 300+GB master library on my air for when I travel.

BTW, I'm not the original poster that was asking for folders. I chimed in to state that playlist would not be the solution.
  • Reply 89 of 98
    If Apple is really busting their rear to get folks there telling media that they absolutely don't want to miss this event, I can't help but wonder if the Beatles will finally hit the store... and with Beatles-themed iPod colors/designs.
  • Reply 90 of 98
    Quote:

I'd love that for Mail, though it only keeps the last 50 messages on it. Still, if it's not find-as-you-type, I'd like something since I can't access MM from the Safari browser to do a proper search.

I'd also like to be able to search a webpage for text the way it works in Safari on the Mac.

This mail issue was supremely annoying for me the other day.

I only had my iPhone to access the internet and needed a password I had emailed myself months ago.

Tried accessing .mac mail and was told that I should use the mail application on the iPhone...which only stores the 100 most recent mails of the few thousand that I've received...so I had no way of getting the password. Absolute crap.

Why can't I keep all of my email on my iPhone? It can't take more than a few hundred MB.

Apple needs to address this if it really wants your iPhone to be a mobile office.
  • Reply 91 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by napabar View Post

I'm hoping Apple finally decides to give Airtunes the push it deserves. The "Killer App" for Airtunes is the Remote program on iPhone/iPod Touch. This thing is very cool for a version 1.0 release, and can only get better.

Here's what I'd like to see:

A new version of the iPod Hi-Fi, with an Airtunes client built it. Drop the iPod dock to distinguish it from the million other speaker systems out there and make it look more streamlined. Change the name and sell it for $249. People could buy more than one of these for different areas in their house. Drop in it, plug it in, control the "Zone" from the Remote program. Apple simplicity.

Also, Apple could make a slimmed down version of Airport Express. Call it "Airtunes" and it's only function is a client with an audio out mini-jack. No router, no ethernet jack, no USB. Airtunes only. Sell it for $49. That way people would have a cheap way to use their existing audio equipment (anything from an old boom box to a high end amp) to receive music from iTunes and have that "Zone" controlled by the Remote app.

The Remote app could be updated to version 2.0. Among it's features are being able to access a CD in iTunes, and call up various internet radio station. Also, fix the album art issue with Remote and Apple TV.

One last thing. Update Apple TV to allow the volume to be controlled with Remote app.

I love it.

Give away the software to sell more hardware.

AirTunes is awesome but it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

There should be a white and a black AirTunes HiFi.
  • Reply 92 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I love it.

Give away the software to sell more hardware.

AirTunes is awesome but it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

There should be a white and a black AirTunes HiFi.

I hate to say it, but a new Hi-Fi seems just as likely as any other new product launch we've heard about.
  • Reply 93 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fenlyn View Post

If Apple is really busting their rear to get folks there telling media that they absolutely don't want to miss this event, I can't help but wonder if the Beatles will finally hit the store... and with Beatles-themed iPod colors/designs.

Who are the Beatles?

Really... anybody who wants them already has them.
  • Reply 94 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Who are the Beatles?

Really... anybody who wants them already has them.

Each generation of young adults seems to discover the Beatles. And I mean discover, not just having heard them because their parents played them on the radio in the car. I think there is still plenty of money to be made for many generations.
  • Reply 95 of 98
    Quote:

I hate to say it, but a new Hi-Fi seems just as likely as any other new product launch we've heard about.

What kills me is they did all the work of designing it, manufacturing it and shipping it.

If the sales weren't what they hoped it would be the proper thing to do is improve it.

I don't understand why they axed it completely.

I know they don't want to compete too much with their third party vendors like Bose, JBL, Harmon Kardon.

If Apple isn't going to offer an integrated all in one solution, then they should license the AirTunes protocol to Bose, JBL, Harmon Kardon and let them build it into their speakers.
  • Reply 96 of 98
    Quote:

This is one phrase that needs to be stated the other way around: "Eat your cake and have it too"

I also find the "razor and blades business model" confusing. I can't help but think of razor as blades. I prefer "razor and handle business model".

I'm guessing I'm not the only one...

Mmmm... My former business partner thought you gave away the blades and sold the handles (razors)...

...of course, he was a PoliSci major
  • Reply 97 of 98
    It seems a lot of people have forgotten, or have decided it does not matter, or have become sick of asking, but why can't we sync notes?

Thats all I would really like. With a new iTunes, and a new iPhone OS, why not?

MMS would be cool, but i could really care less.
  • Reply 98 of 98
    Year over year comparison (2007 in black; 2008 in red):

2007/2008 Stats:

. . .? 6M songs per iTS in each of the 22 countries they are in

. . .? 8.5M iTunes Store songs

. . .? iTS #3 music retailer in the US

. . .? iTS #1 music retailer in the US

. . .? 550 TV shows from 58 networks

. . .? 1000 TV shows (30,000 different episodes to choose from)

. . .? 125K podcasts available, with 25K as video podcasts

. . .? 125K podcasts available, with 30K as video podcasts

. . .? 110M iPods sold

. . .? 160M iPods sold

2007 Stats:

. . .? 600M copies of iTunes distributed

. . .? iTS #1 online music retailer (Walmart #1, BestBuy #2)

. . .? 95M TV shows sold

. . .? 32% of 2006 music releases were ONLY released digitally, not a CD

2008 Stats:

. . .? 2,600 Hollywood Movies available

. . .? 3,000 Applications

. . .? 65M iTunes Store accounts (w/CCs)