best buy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am purchasing my first Apple at Best Buy. They kept the computer to do updates on the software. My son freaked. Says that Best Buy is just down loading their stuff on to the computer. What do you think. He has an Apple and no one wanted to update his where when he purchased his. Should I be concerned that Best Buy is downloading stuff.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guest View Post


    I am purchasing my first Apple at Best Buy. They kept the computer to do updates on the software. My son freaked. Says that Best Buy is just down loading their stuff on to the computer. What do you think. He has an Apple and no one wanted to update his where when he purchased his. Should I be concerned that Best Buy is downloading stuff.



    I can't imagine what they are doing to it. I would personally refuse to accept it. Take home only a sealed package. Updates are super-easy to do.

    Keep us posted please.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    Well I figured what it was all about. I just got scammed by Best Buy. They didn't download anything just checked for updates and activate the computer name ect. Just another way for Best Buy to get a buck.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Well this thread is a special kind of stupid.



    1. There's no "Best Buy" stuff to be loaded on to Apple machines.



    2. If they're doing an in-store setup on it, they're doing a few things. They're registering the machine for you, starting your warranty with Apple. You can do this yourself. They're downloading any OS updates for you that have been released since the original drive image was created by Apple at the factory (yes, these do happen. Anyone who gets an Apple home without updates being available is a rare person indeed). They're also doing a quick "burn" test on the hardware. Up to 4% of computers are DOA. Dead on arrival - now you can do one of two thing: test it in the store or test it at home.



    If you're adamant about taking a sealed package home that's fine, but if you've got a defective piece you're trucking it all the way back for an exchange. Your gas on your dime.



    So you didn't get scammed here at all - you paid for a service. If you don't see value in it you shouldn't have bought it (and yes, it was optional).



    Don't blame best buy, circuit city, apple or anyone else for you being a stupid customer. Know what you want, pay for what you want and don't moan about it online.



    *sigh* Uninformed people suck. People who refuse to inform themselves suck even more.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

    Don't blame best buy, circuit city, apple or anyone else for you being a stupid customer. Know what you want, pay for what you want and don't moan about it online.



    *sigh* Uninformed people suck. People who refuse to inform themselves suck even more.



    That's fine for someone who has had a lot of experience. Instead of slamming a newbie, tell him HOW to get info, WHAT he needs to know, and WHERE to find it. If you were entering a field that you were non conversant with, you wouldn't know what questions to ask either. It's easy enough for someone like you who's already knowledgeable to look down on a newbie.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    How utterly ridiculous that we make excuses for people who don't know how to shop.



    This is capitalism 101 - the first rule of which is caveat emptor. You're promoting a culture of stupidity and sloth. I'm not going to apologize for coming across as harsh here - it's the bold truth.



    BE INFORMED about what you buy. I shouldn't have to direct you to ask questions about what you're purchasing. Everything at a BB or a Fry's or any other store is itemized on a receipt. If you've got HALF a brain you're price matching so you should know the going rate on the product you're looking to buy. If it's more expensive in location X that should lead you to question why.



    If you're old enough to purchase a computer you're no longer a "noobie". That's a horrid excuse for being under informed and ill prepared to do business in the market.



    This is not Best Buy taking advantage of anyone - they offer a service for a price - much like getting an oil change or having someone paint your house. It's vastly more expensive to have others do it than to shoulder your own burden, but we're a convenience based society and that's what you pay for.



    Anyone who expresses discontent for paying for services shouldn't have bought them in the first place. Anyone who makes excuses for those who whine on that basis needs to take a good long look at the situation - you're part of the problem, not the solution.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw View Post


    How utterly ridiculous that we make excuses for people who don't know how to shop.



    This is capitalism 101 - the first rule of which is caveat emptor. You're promoting a culture of stupidity and sloth. I'm not going to apologize for coming across as harsh here - it's the bold truth.



    BE INFORMED about what you buy. I shouldn't have to direct you to ask questions about what you're purchasing. Everything at a BB or a Fry's or any other store is itemized on a receipt. If you've got HALF a brain you're price matching so you should know the going rate on the product you're looking to buy. If it's more expensive in location X that should lead you to question why.



    If you're old enough to purchase a computer you're no longer a "noobie". That's a horrid excuse for being under informed and ill prepared to do business in the market.



    This is not Best Buy taking advantage of anyone - they offer a service for a price - much like getting an oil change or having someone paint your house. It's vastly more expensive to have others do it than to shoulder your own burden, but we're a convenience based society and that's what you pay for.



    Anyone who expresses discontent for paying for services shouldn't have bought them in the first place. Anyone who makes excuses for those who whine on that basis needs to take a good long look at the situation - you're part of the problem, not the solution.



    If you'll read my post, you'll see that I NEVER mentioned Best Buy or being taken advantage of. I was referring to someone buying a Mac for the first time. Where did you read in his post that he knew anything about computers. You're way out of line.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I'm out of line? No, I think you're out of line for telling me (or anyone) how to address others, assuming my conduct does not (and it has not) violated this site's terms of use.



    This user - with over 100 posts on this board (not that much of a newbie, then, is he?) - is leveling a rather serious accusation at a retailer: that they have "scammed" him - when in fact it is his own ignorance about the purchasing process that caused the issue. All he had to do was ask "What are you doing to my new computer? Why are you doing it? Is it free? Can I do it myself?"



    Instead he chose to remain at arms length from the process then he complains when he feels he didn't get value for his dollar. That's irresponsible consumerism.



    Your self-righteous piety has no place in this discussion.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw View Post


    I'm out of line? No, I think you're out of line for telling me (or anyone) how to address others, assuming my conduct does not (and it has not) violated this site's terms of use.



    This user - with over 100 posts on this board (not that much of a newbie, then, is he?) - is leveling a rather serious accusation at a retailer: that they have "scammed" him - when in fact it is his own ignorance about the purchasing process that caused the issue. All he had to do was ask "What are you doing to my new computer? Why are you doing it? Is it free? Can I do it myself?"



    Instead he chose to remain at arms length from the process then he complains when he feels he didn't get value for his dollar. That's irresponsible consumerism.



    Your self-righteous piety has no place in this discussion.



    You sir take things a little too serious. MIght want to relax a little, life will be a lot less stressful.



  • Reply 9 of 24
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw View Post


    Your self-righteous piety has no place in this discussion.



    I was a little astonished to see this remark, when it is you who is moralizing about the nature of capitalism and chiding a completely anonymous person looking for help. I don't know why you posted 14 hours after the problem was resolved to answer a question that was settled, except to offer completely nonconstructive criticism. What were you aiming to do?



    It's not that I disagree with your gist, that a shopper should be informed about their decisions, but rather that when one comes to a board looking for help, they ought not be spat upon.



    I won't tell you what to do, but I feel obligated to defend sequitur and guest from clear condescension and lack of tact. In my opinion, the appropriate options were to offer constructive advice, or to say nothing at all. If he's an idiot, what benefit is it to you to mock him?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Thank you, stalwart defender of the internet. You can go add a layer of polish to your sword and shield now.



    Too often we make excuses for poor judgement and a lack of intelligence. This irks me - and it should irk you too. This is the internet and while condescension may seem cruel to you, it imparts a valuable lesson rather quickly. As for a lack of tact - that's life, pal. Not everyone is a nice guy.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guest View Post


    i am purchasing my first apple at best buy. They kept the computer to do updates on the software. My son freaked. Says that best buy is just down loading their stuff on to the computer. What do you think. He has an apple and no one wanted to update his where when he purchased his. Should i be concerned that best buy is downloading stuff.



    As far as possible only buy Apple stuff from official Apple retail stores. If the box is being opened in the store check that it is fully sealed before they open it.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    I couldn't agree more with this part of your post:







    "1. There's no "Best Buy" stuff to be loaded on to Apple machines.



    2. If they're doing an in-store setup on it, they're doing a few things. They're registering the machine for you, starting your warranty with Apple. You can do this yourself. They're downloading any OS updates for you that have been released since the original drive image was created by Apple at the factory (yes, these do happen. Anyone who gets an Apple home without updates being available is a rare person indeed). They're also doing a quick "burn" test on the hardware. Up to 4% of computers are DOA. Dead on arrival - now you can do one of two thing: test it in the store or test it at home.



    If you're adamant about taking a sealed package home that's fine, but if you've got a defective piece you're trucking it all the way back for an exchange. Your gas on your dime.



    So you didn't get scammed here at all - you paid for a service. If you don't see value in it you shouldn't have bought it (and yes, it was optional)."







    This is exactly whats happening, I purchased this service myself and I think it cost like $20. Theres no Best Buy software, whatever that is, i just wanted everything checked out and the almost 1GB of software updates downloaded and installed so I didn't have to worry about it. I think graham was a little harsh and the service isn't for most people on this board but it's also not a scam, and for me it was well worth the $20 on my $2000 laptop. Also, I don't have any Apple stores in my area and it's kinda nice to be able to go in and play with the new products and be able to get them that day if I choose.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    I bought my Apple Macbook Pro at best buy it was the best thing ive done by far. Plus they offer accidental damage... beat that
  • Reply 14 of 24
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw View Post


    Too often we make excuses for poor judgement and a lack of intelligence. This irks me - and it should irk you too. This is the internet and while condescension may seem cruel to you, it imparts a valuable lesson rather quickly. As for a lack of tact - that's life, pal. Not everyone is a nice guy.



    Again, you're moralizing from on high and not "teaching a lesson." Condescension never teaches a lesson, it just makes people angry. If I had read this post before you added your commentary, I would have simply rolled my eyes and moved on. It's unfortunate, but the OP paid the price for not doing his or her homework. I don't know why you felt the need to spill your anger into a public forum, and I can't tell why you wanted to help someone you ridiculed for not being informed.



    What's your justification? "Not everyone is a nice guy?" "It's the internet?" Every argument in this post was an excuse for bad behavior. Just because the world is tough doesn't mean you have to rush to outdo it. The lack of thought and politeness on the internet is not a mandate to treat people like shit. As you'd surely agree, you're in control of your own actions, so no matter how sadistic or self-righteous other people are, you can at least be fair. Fair doesn't include insults; insults aren't productive. In fact, when you were being reasonable, you offered good advice, and I hope the OP learned something from it.



    I assure you that if you took the effort to craft your posts to drop the truth on them without slapping them too, you'd get a much better lesson. If you want to be so magnanimous as to offer advice, you should make it palatable. I've been working long enough to see that anger only works on subordinates. On the internet, where nobody answers to anybody, it just makes people pissed.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Irony: An internet hero whining about being an internet hero.



    Here's a tip wirc: no one cares. You're excusing poor behaviour then participating in it yourself. Grab a roll of your favourite absorbent towel and mop up that bleeding heart.



    I think we can safely say the OP has learned his lesson. Perhaps if you read the thread again you might learn yours.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw View Post


    So you didn't get scammed here at all - you paid for a service. If you don't see value in it you shouldn't have bought it (and yes, it was optional).



    Actually if you are still using dial-up this would be a very valuable and necessary service. The sizes of the current updates make updating over the phone impracticable. I suspect a sizable portion of Best Buy customers are on dial-up.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    batbat Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw View Post


    Irony: An internet hero whining about being an internet hero.



    Here's a tip wirc: no one cares. You're excusing poor behaviour then participating in it yourself. Grab a roll of your favourite absorbent towel and mop up that bleeding heart.



    I think we can safely say the OP has learned his lesson. Perhaps if you read the thread again you might learn yours.



    You are up for an Oscar for "Biggest A**hole Ever on any Forum Anywhere".

    Congratulations.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bat View Post


    You are up for an Oscar for "Biggest A**hole Ever on any Forum Anywhere".

    Congratulations.



    Watch out!! The guy's a """"Global Moderator""""". He'll zap you, too.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bat View Post


    You are up for an Oscar for "Biggest A**hole Ever on any Forum Anywhere".

    Congratulations.



    Don't get out much, do you?
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Bat,

    I told you he'd zap you. He doesn't like anyone who talks back to him. Just WHAT is a "Global Moderator"? Isn't that someone who is empowered to keep the peace? Naw, just someone who has a god complex.
Sign In or Register to comment.