Mockup of new iTunes 8.0 interface published

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    The thing I'm wondering is, will this genius playlist thing be on the iPhone as well as iTunes?
  • Reply 22 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I wish iTunes8 would let us rip DVDs directly in iTunes for ATV and iPods- wishful thinking.

I'm guessing you know why this won't happen in iTunes. At least there is HandBrake and VisualHub.
  • Reply 23 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ColeSQ View Post

That part kinda sucks. I was hoping for a massive update to make the app a little simpler, like what devs have to do with iPhone real estate. Between all my playlists for all the different media and all the different devices from old to new iPods, and iPhone or two, and Apple TV (then maybe other computers if they did it right), it would have been nice to maybe segment things a little more. Maybe have an iTunes app for audio, a video app, and a device app or something like that.

On the surface I know it sounds lame, but we already have multiple apps exposing data for all these devices and it's getting a lot more cluttered and confusing when you really sit down and develop good playlists/albums/etc. with 15,000 songs, a couple hundred movies, 25,000 photos, and lots of TV shows.

I mentioned this in the other itunes 8 thread. I would also like it if Apple moved some of the features of the app into a seperate app. I've always like smaller apps specifically tailored to their purpose.

Itunes just feels heavy now.
  • Reply 24 of 96
    Here's hoping we can browse by Album Artist.
  • Reply 25 of 96
    They'd better leave in List w. Artwork mode as that's the one I use !
  • Reply 26 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

So the Genius only recommends you the music you already own? What a bunch of shit.

I dunno - I keep listening to the same stuff because I forget what I've got, and whether or not it's any good...
  • Reply 27 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Maybe because its HIS JOB as a journalist to report the news. And part of a journalist's job is getting his site/publication/station/whatever more readers/viewers/whatever so that it makes more money. And one of the best ways to get that extra traffic is by breaking news stories BEFORE everyone else. Otherwise, it becomes OLD NEWS no one really cares about.

If it meant that much to you, why did you click on the link to read this story? Oh right, because you wanted to know about iTunes 8. I guess Kevin did his job pretty well then.

Whoever writes his paychecks might have cared. He has a JOB to do simple as that. He's trying to make money just like anyone else with a job.

If you don't want the surprise ruined, don't click the link. It's not rocket science.

This is a pretty crass and shallow argument.

You are saying everything anyone does is OK "because it's their job?" Right. And also everything he or any other journalist does is similarly OK because it's about all about "making money?" That's pretty much what your comments amount to. I guess I know which USA Presidential candidate you favour then, with logic (and an attitude) like that.

Oh, and what about the guys breaking their legal contracts to give the info to Kevin? Are they "just doing their job?" I think not.

My point was mostly about the leakers, not Kevin per se, but the bottom line is that if he didn't leak this, and people found out tomorrow that Kevin had an idea about the interface layout but did not reveal it, no one would have cared. The only reason he released it today was to make money and get a little personal fame. You seem to be okay with that kind of reasoning. I, (and many others) are not.

We're .... what's that word? Oh yeah, considerate.
  • Reply 28 of 96
    Oh, stop whining...
  • Reply 29 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agentlion View Post

How about they implement this one interface change:

Move the "browse" button to the main toolbar!! And second, change it from that strange eye icon.

I have talked to several people who claim they don't like iTunes because it's hard to find music by a certain artist, a certain song, a certain album, etc. I tell them when you use the Browse feature, it's easy. "What's that?" is the most common reply. So, i tell them to click the "eye button" down in the lower right, which makes the iTunes interface infinitely more user friendly.

I have no idea why 1) Browse-mode isn't enabled by default (when you install itunes for the first time, it just gives you a big long list), 2) it looks like and eye (i "get it", conceptually, but surely they can create a better icon), and 3) why it's buried in the lower-right corner, where very few people look. It should be promoted in a prominent spot in the main toolbar!

It actually used to be in the main toolbar and was a big colorful eye.

I agree that tucking it away in the lower toolbar has made the itunes less intuitive.

Also iTunes should definitely default to being in the browse mode.

• Reply 30 of 96
    Unless there are some MAJOR changes to iTunes for OS X, it'll be the same old bloated piece of shit that it's been since iTunes 4.

By major change, I do not mean putting more bloat in. I mean, trimming the app by separating what's video into a new app.

I do not expect major changes. I fully expect more bloat. I fully expect Apple to complete destroy this once beautiful app.

RIP iTunes.
  • Reply 31 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm getting sick of all these leaks.

People complain that the event is going to be boring, but one of the major reasons it might be is everyone breaking or bending their NDA's to tell everyone what to expect. What is it about tech journalists that they can't just shut the f**k up once in a while?

Kevin's info here in particular doesn't really add anything to the story, yet it threatens to take most of the enjoyment out of the announcement tomorrow. Would it have hurt him to sit on it for a day? No.

And the worst thing about it is that no one would have cared if he *did* wait. The only possible reason he has for doing this is click-whoring and personal aggrandisement. How sad.

Oh, stop whining...
  • Reply 32 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

If this Genius bar is real, then it's just a remake of the current Mini-Store feature already built into iTunes. I think most people disable that feature and then forget about it. I know I do.

[...]

I will be disabling the Genius bar if its sole purpose is to sell me more music.

Ditto. I'm expecting something way smarter than that for a Genius. And not smarter as in "no way to hide it."
  • Reply 33 of 96
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    "iTunes 8 will continue to offer users three distinct "views" of their music library, though instead of List, List with Artwork, and Cover Flow, version 8.0 will offer List, Grid, and Cover Flow."

If true, this is TERRIBLE. I use album view exclusively. All the songs are there in a list, but separated by albums (the large majority of my tracks are complete albums). There should at least be an option in list view to separate by albums (with cover art) - oh, I guess that's album view.

It's not surprising they would offer a grid, since Apple hired the developer of Delicious Library a while back. But Delicious Library doesn't appeal to me.

(They could make cover flow (and list view) more useful by putting separators between albums on the list. But I still would prefer album view).
  • Reply 34 of 96
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

"iTunes 8 will continue to offer users three distinct "views" of their music library, though instead of List, List with Artwork, and Cover Flow, version 8.0 will offer List, Grid, and Cover Flow."

If true, this is TERRIBLE. I use album view exclusively

So you're the "one".
  • Reply 35 of 96
    Looks fine to me. But really - isn't it about music above all? What I want is high quality music - not just 128 or 256 kbps AAC files - encoded as Apple Lossless files. This should be possible, as all files delievered by record companies or indie-musicians today are encoded in Apple Lossless. To be able to purchase music in this quality would be good news.
  • Reply 36 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

So the Genius only recommends you the music you already own? What a bunch of shit.

Where did you get that info?
  • Reply 37 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

2 sidebars? P off.

The iTunes Store already has 2 sidebars so when you're in there it will be 4 all up!

The iTunes library page design is independent from the page design in the iTunes store. So why would you think the store would have 4 sidebars?
  • Reply 38 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This is a pretty crass and shallow argument.

You are saying everything anyone does is OK "because it's their job?" Right. And also everything he or any other journalist does is similarly OK because it's about all about "making money?" That's pretty much what your comments amount to. I guess I know which USA Presidential candidate you favour then, with logic (and an attitude) like that.

Please!!! (that's a sarcastic please in case you missed it). Thanks for your flawed inductive logic there. He didn't hurt anyone by posting the article. He didn't kill off an endangered species. It didn't take forced child labor for him to get his story. He didn't give away trade secrets. He didn't chase a princess down the road for a photo.

Again, answer the question: If you didn't want to know about iTunes 8 early, why did you click on the link?

Quote:

Oh, and what about the guys breaking their legal contracts to give the info to Kevin? Are they "just doing their job?" I think not.

So you have proof that someone broke their contract? If not, then quit acting like it's fact. Not to mention that if iTunes 8 is coming out tomorrow, breaking their contract now is a pretty moot point. Everyone will know about in a little over 24 hours.

Maybe he grabbed a copy of iTunes 8 Sunday when it was supposedly accidentally posted on Apple's site like another article on this site purports it was. Then no contracts were broken unless the EULA now contains a NDA disclosure in it.

Quote:

My point was mostly about the leakers, not Kevin per se, but the bottom line is that if he didn't leak this, and people found out tomorrow that Kevin had an idea about the interface layout but did not reveal it, no one would have cared. The only reason he released it today was to make money and get a little personal fame. You seem to be okay with that kind of reasoning. I, (and many others) are not.

Again, its his job. Doing his job harmed NO ONE except for maybe you because you apparently have such poor impulse control you HAD to click on the link despite the headline stating what the article was about. I don't see the many others posting here. Maybe that's more of your inductive logic, thinking that because you feel that way every else MUST also feel the same way.
  • Reply 39 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HighDynamic View Post

Oh, stop whining...

Oh stop trolling.

If this Genius Bar is the highlight of iTunes 8, it'll be pretty underwhelming. I already know what's in my music collection. And Album Grid View would be just another view I never use - I keep Browse mode on all the time after finding it by accident tucked away in the corner.
  • Reply 40 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faeringen View Post

Looks fine to me. But really - isn't it about music above all? What I want is high quality music - not just 128 or 256 kbps AAC files - encoded as Apple Lossless files. This should be possible, as all files delievered by record companies or indie-musicians today are encoded in Apple Lossless. To be able to purchase music in this quality would be good news.

Are you sure they are given to Apple as a master copy or CD or some other format? I find it hard to believe that they deliver it to Apple in Apple's own lossless codec. I think 256kbps AAC is fine, but I think it would go a long way to make then 320kbps, which has been considered "CD quality" by most, despite the nature of the MP3s that it was encoded in.

That is only an extra 64kbps added to the song, so I think that is doable. whereas Apple Lossless would be around 1Mbps. That is about 7.5MB per minute of audio. The DL times and storage space are now about 4x as much as 256kbps audio and 8x as much as 128kbps audio.

Another issue that Apple has to consider is that if they dropped 128kbps audio from their store would have to change the way they measure the capacity of their iPods. The iPod Classic would go from being holding 40,000 songs to 20,000 overnight. While we know what is going on, there are many that look only at the superficial packaging because that is what they can understand. I suspect that the people who I'm talking about probably don't care much about the kbps, which is why Apple continues to dominate with iTunes. I recall Sony listing a player or two as being able to hold x-many songs but we using 96kbps as the bitrate. It was there in the fine print, but the people they are marketing aren't likely to look at that.