iTunes 8 offers collective Genius for playlists, HD TV, visual browser

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

I have 2 old Pet Shop Boys albums and a Madonna album, and for some reason it decided to pick these albums which i never listen to, to form the recommendations??? Recommendations like more Pet Shop Boys and Madonna and Queer as Folk, Coldplay...

Seriously... Genius Recommendations is trying to turn me homo or something

Haven't you ever noticed that "Genius" is Apple's code word for "Homo"? Ever been to the "Genius Bar"? Gayest bar i've ever been to, and less women than at a gay bar too.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    This Apple event was pretty needless if you ask me. It really did not have that "rock" vibe at all, and all of the updates were just minor.

First of all, only the user can create a playlist that perfect fits their tastes. I would never use this Genius feature. I can't even get a decent playlist with the SHUFFLE function on my iPod classic at times.

The new features on the iPods are also very minimal and hardly ground breaking. There used to be an iPod out there that could hold 160GB. Now they just have one iPod classic that holds 120 GB. I know they are probably looks to go for the touchscreen ones more now, but it still looks like the same iPod model.

This really was not a wise move by Apple. They could have not spent all the money on this event and just updated the website. Really a waste of time and effort.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

Okay, how do you turn off the links to the iTunes store which now show up every time you select a track in list view?

There used to be a preference where you could turn them off, but that seems to be missing...

Did you have iTunes set to show those links? I had them hidden, so the only links that show up now that didn't before are when a song is playing or paused. When no music is playing, there should be no visible links (unless you had them turned on before you updated, obviously).

There are also new links that show up when a playlist (normal, smart, and Genius) is selected in the Source list on the left, which when clicked, present the option to create an iMix or Send the songs as a Gift playlist. Pretty nifty.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    I would like to see TV episodes rentals, purchasing TV shows that I'll end up watching only once is not something that I'd want to do.

I think $0.55 per episode rental is fair.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I would like to see TV episodes rentals, purchasing TV shows that I'll end up watching only once is not something that I'd want to do.

I think $0.55 per episode rental is fair.

You should get a job at Fairco.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Sounds like there's a lot of junk in there - genius links, iMix links, iTunes store links, more limited preferences, not being able to see exactly what I want in my itunes window - all crap to me. I would never use recommendations features, or communication features - all I want is to be able to manage my large library.

The worst thing is that apparently there's no more album view - the only view I ever use. It's by far the most useful to me in keeping my library organized. (List view is a real jumble without album separators, and I like having the album art right there). I'm staying with iTunes 7.7.1, and I hope I can transfer it over that way to a new computer when I get one (going from Tiger to Leopard soon).
  • Reply 27 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

The worst thing is that apparently there's no more album view - the only view I ever use. It's by far the most useful to me in keeping my library organized. (List view is a real jumble without album separators, and I like having the album art right there). I'm staying with iTunes 7.7.1, and I hope I can transfer it over that way to a new computer when I get one (going from Tiger to Leopard soon).

There is an Album View, but it's not like it was. I prefer that method too. I get the best of both worlds. Organized and separated by album but get to see the details too. I am going to request it from Apple....
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Genius doesn't work with Beatles songs!?!
  • Reply 29 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FrankenSigns.biz View Post

Genius doesn't work with Beatles songs!?!

You're right.

Just because they don't sell them shoulld't mean they can't at least create a Genius playlist for me.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is an Album View, but it's not like it was. I prefer that method too. I get the best of both worlds. Organized and separated by album but get to see the details too. I am going to request it from Apple....

Or you could poke around a little...

See that little black arrow pointing at the Name column?

Click that and...

Voila!
  • Reply 31 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Or you could poke around a little...

<image>

<image>

SWEET!!! Thanks.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Quote:

SWEET!!! Thanks.

Yeah, I'm personally a fan of List view, so while I played around in the new iPhoto-like Grid view (pretty nice), I discovered that strange little arrow when I switched around.

Album view is not only viewable as I demonstrated, but also, if you use Grid view and double click on one of the albums or artists (depending on which view setting you have; it works for genre, composer, etc. as well), that little black arrow will be in the associated list, so you can have Grid view and then when you double-click, you'll have the old Album view.

Glad I could help.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Sounds like there's a lot of junk in there - genius links, iMix links, iTunes store links, more limited preferences, not being able to see exactly what I want in my itunes window - all crap to me. I would never use recommendations features, or communication features - all I want is to be able to manage my large library.

Can't remember what album view was (I never used it), but you can click the arrow to the left of "name" while in list view and it will show the album art on the far left and all the songs in a list to the right of the album art. Not sure if that helps.

Edit: I see someone already has screenshots up for that, nevermind.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

You're right.

Just because they don't sell them shoulld't mean they can't at least create a Genius playlist for me.

Is it me or is the 'genius' feature a gimmick? Looks like a feature thrown in to stimulate sales of music and perhaps appeal to the RIAA.

I guess I feel like I'm quite capable of creating my own playlists.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:

Did you actually download and use iTunes 8? The links I was talking about only appeared when something was selected and they were subtle at that. The link that appears on the play list brings up two options, iMix or Gift in a little pop-up window when clicked. The links for each song only appear when a song is selected or playing/paused.

I don't get why you're complaining about these links, which you presume to inject clutter into the interface (they really don't) and then have issues with the less cluttered preferences pane.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Is it me or is the 'genius' feature a gimmick? Looks like a feature thrown in to stimulate sales of music and perhaps appeal to the RIAA.

I guess I feel like I'm quite capable of creating my own playlists.

I like the auto-playlist option. It's found great music I've completely forgotten about. I've now got a whole new playlist for the gym to try out. The one that ties into the iTS I am not as fond of, but if I bought my music from iTunes I think it would be pretty sweet. I might use it to find new music that I'll buy elsewhere, but I'll have to see.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

... The one that ties into the iTS I am not as fond of,.

That's what I'm talking about.

Now I know others do it as well, like Amazon, but they really hyped this feature during the keynote and all I was thinking was marketing feature. 'Hey you like this music so and buy this too'. Looks like a bone for the RIAA. But if that gets Apple DRM free music then I guess its worth it.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crtaylor View Post

This Apple event was pretty needless if you ask me. It really did not have that "rock" vibe at all, and all of the updates were just minor.

First of all, only the user can create a playlist that perfect fits their tastes. I would never use this Genius feature. I can't even get a decent playlist with the SHUFFLE function on my iPod classic at times.

The new features on the iPods are also very minimal and hardly ground breaking. There used to be an iPod out there that could hold 160GB. Now they just have one iPod classic that holds 120 GB. I know they are probably looks to go for the touchscreen ones more now, but it still looks like the same iPod model.

This really was not a wise move by Apple. They could have not spent all the money on this event and just updated the website. Really a waste of time and effort.

That's your own opinion. It was not a waste of time. The new Nano blows away the old one with all the new features and interface enhancements. I guess you didn't watch the keynote to see them in action. iTunes 8 is significantly better, and the new Genius feature works great if you want to quickly create a new playlist based on a favorite song. Just because you won't use it, doesn't mean others would also find it useless. The new grid view rocks for viewing your music by album cover, far better than Cover Flow. One click on an album will play the entire album. Much easier than having search for that album to only play that album.

The slimmer 80 GB sold significantly more than the fatter 160 GB. So they stuck with the slimmer design and increased the size to 120 GB. I enjoy my 160 GB, and I am sure others do too. So what is your point about there used to be an iPod that held 160 GB? If you want one, buy one at a reduced price, $279 now. The Touch and Nano far outsell the older Classic design, and there really isn't much more they could do with the Classic design. So I am not sure what you are complaining about.

Since iPods of all models continue to sell like hotcakes, this event was not a waste of time or money.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    Some iTunes Preference Changes, of course you always have to hunt them down:

-Disc Burning options are gone from Advanced. They appear when you click on Burn Disc

-Importing options are moved to the General pane, by clicking Import Settings

-Download Missing Artwork moved to the Store pane

-AirTunes settings moved to Devices pane

-Show Artwork Column under the View menu provides the previous Album view in the List View

-The option to hide links to the iTunes Store appears to be gone, and the arrows only appear when you highlight a song
  • Reply 40 of 70
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    What I don't get is why apple hasn't added the coverflow from the ipods to itunes. I want full itunes cover flow instead of half screen, I want to scroll to an album, flip it over and play the tracks on the back. Why everything but itunes can do that I don't know.