New headphone, mic options for late 2008 iPods

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is already one VoIP app available. I've had a Skype In number since they became available so I'm waiting for that to happen, even though I use the phone very little.

Not compatible with the touch.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Still just earbuds, huh? Am I the only one whose ears won't hold earbuds? I might as well apply them to my cheeks and expect them to stay there.

That's a good one!

While I'm lucky enough that my ears are apparently about the same size of The Steve (since Apple's buds fit me just fine) I can appreciate your situation. The buds don't come close to fitting in my wife's ears so it's a real PITA for her. I know how pissed I'd be if I couldn't use the buds with the built in remote with my new iPod/iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

I sure hope the 2.1 software update allows these new headphones to be used with the iPhone.

**crosses fingers**

I think it should, the update should only add triple click. I have a Shure Music Phone Adapter controller to go with my around-the-head headphones that does play/pause and skip just fine, as well as having a mic input.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Not compatible with the touch.

The 1G Touch, which has no audio input method. The 2G Touch will. I'm guessing the app developers will want to sell to all applicable devices.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:

The 1G Touch, which has no audio input method. The 2G Touch will. I'm guessing the app developers will want to sell to all applicable devices.

Yes, obviously, but I'm making the point there's nothing compatible with the touch for now.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Yes, obviously, but I'm making the point there's nothing compatible with the touch for now.

Does the current Touch's headphone jack allow for the input/output or does require a special jack? In other words, will these headphones and the v2.1 software make it possible for the 1G Touch?
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Is that a capsule in the bottom half of the box to store the pricier headphones? Pretty ingenous idea. I think it's pretty cool what little things Apple can incorporate into something as simple as headphones. Although, I wonder if these capsules will get lost easily.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Huh? These are in-ear headphones, not buds.

Isn't the first just a fancy way of saying the other? Exactly what is the distinction here?
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Isn't the first just a fancy way of saying the other? Exactly what is the distinction here?

Buds, the ones that Apple ships with their iPods, sit just outside the ear canal. In-ear are the ones that fit in the ear canal. At least, that is what I was told.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Buds, the ones that Apple ships with their iPods, sit just outside the ear canal. In-ear are the ones that fit in the ear canal. At least, that is what I was told.

I use the terms interchangeably. In any case, neither one will go in, or stay in, my ears. Does anybody make a spring hoop like regular headphones have, to go over your head and keep these things in your ears? I hate to go out walking or exercise and sweat up my good Sony over-the-ear phones.

(Or would that look like some blue-haired matron with chains on her rhinestone glasses?)
  • Reply 31 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juniesco View Post

Is that a capsule in the bottom half of the box to store the pricier headphones? Pretty ingenous idea. I think it's pretty cool what little things Apple can incorporate into something as simple as headphones. Although, I wonder if these capsules will get lost easily.

You take them when you're drunk for a headache.

It's kind of stupid that they won't work with the iPhone.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Unlike the iPhone, previous iPods lacked audio input on their headphone jack. The iPhone uses four conductors on its headphone jack: ground, stereo right, stereo left, and mic. This allows the iPhone to work with its headphones sporting an integrated mic (which doubles as a signal for track skipping).

One of the more clever things my Prince has said in a while.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:

The new headphones (buds, earbuds, whatever) come with 3 sizes of "buds", so hopefully more people will be able to use them.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

The new headphones (buds, earbuds, whatever) come with 3 sizes of "buds", so hopefully more people will be able to use them.

Apple would have to be insane not to make a similar in-ear set for the iPhone. They would sell heaps!!! I want these sooo bad but they're only for the new iPods, come on Apple, gimme a break. Surely, they will make an iPhone compatible version. Whether it controls volume on top of answering calls and skipping tracks, not sure if they can make them do all that. As long as they can make them do what the current crap earphones that come with the iPhone can do, then I'll be buying them as soon as they come out. Make them now Apple!!!
  • Reply 35 of 48
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Still just earbuds, huh? Am I the only one whose ears won't hold earbuds? I might as well apply them to my cheeks and expect them to stay there.

I agree I f**king hate ipod earbuds, I've never been able to wear them. I have all of them still lying in the original packaging since way back when, when I got my ipod mini (which still works!).

I think they could have done without the 30 mic buds and offer the in ear ones at $49 even if the audio quality wasn't as good as the $79 ones they're making.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Now just restore the functionality of the camera connector and radio tuner and we'll have come full-circle.

I would really love to have camera connector functionality back.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:

I don't see why these headphones wouldn't work with the iPhone out of the gate since that is where they will sell most of them and Apple doesn't like to have products that work with one item but not the other if it can help it and if it doesn't soil the sails of the other product.

The article states they are incompatible because the new headset offers volume control - something that the current iPhone doesn't support via headset. Perhaps they can add support in a future iPhone software release (2.1?). If the new models of iPods use the same jack as iPhone, there is no reason a software enhancement to iPhone would not solve that problem. They probably have to say it is incompatible for legal reasons until iPhone software supports volume control from the headset.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

While I was disappointed in the overhaul of the Touch this is one of the items I was looking for. Audio in will be huge and not just for VoIP. With the right mic it will be great for students and others engaged in the business of taking notes. I'm sure there will be a few other uses one hasn't thought about yet.

The only thing that is a real question in my mind is if you can record while listening to music. Some might see this as contradictory but hey why not. Another use would be simultaneous record and play back which would be great for enhanced hearing devices.

Still it does seem like the Touch got neglected a bit. I really have to wonder if they have another model coming in a few months, otherwise I have this feeling that the will and desire to innovate is disappearing at Apple. Then again I'm a proponent of big steps as opposed to little ones.

Dave

It sounds to me like you are trying to record music that you are playing. Or you are trying to be in a lecture and record it while listening to music so you can speed past the boring parts of the lecture later.

As for them not innovating, I disagree. They have added things that people have been asking for and added the App store which has probably been taking up a lot of their mind share at Apple lately. I still disagree that they didn't innovate very much. Not enough for you? That's a different story.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:

When are morons like this EVER going to check out the facts before spouting off? For $79 they also have IN EAR ear phones. Is that loud enough for you?

For future reference, just go to the Apple Store on-line and look under "new to the store".
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

When are morons like this EVER going to check out the facts before spouting off? For $79 they also have IN EAR ear phones. Is that loud enough for you?

For future reference, just go to the Apple Store on-line and look under "new to the store".

Perhaps he was referring to the ones that come with the device. After all, he could have purchased any number of after market in-ear phones before now.