New headphone, mic options for late 2008 iPods

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blurpbleepbloop View Post

I'm with you on the minor updates here. The inclusion of the Nike stuff in the touch is curious given that most runners that I see with iPods have shuffles or nanos clipped on. While beautiful and thin for what it is, the Touch would not be my first choice for an exercise buddy.

I'd like to see the big steps come more quickly, too. The big steps usually only come from disruptive technologies which Apple typically isn't in the business of producing. Instead, Apple is the master of squeezing the last bit of juice out of their tech. Once a product has been introduced, you won't see any radical changes/improvements from Apple for at least 3 years and more likely 5.

You realize that Apple spent somewhere around $200-$250 million developing the iPhone (which resulted in the Touch), right? Those "3 years" are spent recouping some of that investment and capitalizing from the natural decrease in the price of parts.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

When are morons like this EVER going to check out the facts before spouting off? For $79 they also have IN EAR ear phones. Is that loud enough for you?

For future reference, just go to the Apple Store on-line and look under "new to the store".

Thanks for the expert IQ evaluation. As I have said in a couple of posts that you apparently didn't bother to read: earbuds, in-ear earphones; You say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to, whatever you CALL them, they won't go in or stay in my ears.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Now just restore the functionality of the camera connector and radio tuner and we'll have come full-circle.

According to the Apple Store web page, the current iPod Radio Remote works with the Classic and the new Nanos. Still not, however, with the iPod Touch (1st or 2nd gen) or the iPhone. Though if you have an iPhone you can just download and use the Pandora, Last.fm, or AOL Radio apps. (And you can use those on an iPod Touch when in range of Wi-Fi, too.)
  • Reply 44 of 48
    What I think would be really interesting would be if Apple ported iChat to the iPhone and iPod Touch. Now that the Touch has built-in audio input you'd be able to use either one to do audio chats with your buddies.

With an iPod Touch and a Wi-Fi connection you could call your friends' iPhones.

iPhones could call other iPhones over the "unlimited" data connection, without using carrier minutes. I suppose the carriers wouldn't like that, though.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Thanks for the expert IQ evaluation. As I have said in a couple of posts that you apparently didn't bother to read: earbuds, in-ear earphones; You say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to, whatever you CALL them, they won't go in or stay in my ears.

You would have been a little more clear if you had said that you don't like earbuds or in-ear headphones.

It really does seem to be escaping you that these are two vastly different headphone types, and just because one type doesn't fit in your ears, it doesn't necessarily mean the other type doesn't fit.

Personally, I hate the Apple earbuds, but I love in-ear headphones (except hated the original Apple in-ears... hopefully the new ones fit more like the Sonys/Panasonics).
  • Reply 46 of 48
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't see why these headphones wouldn't work with the iPhone out of the gate since that is where they will sell most of them and Apple doesn't like to have products that work with one item but not the other if it can help it and if it doesn't soil the sails of the other product.

Won't work with the iPhone as an extra connection is required in the headphone socket that is not present on the iPhone.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    What I want to know is three things? Will you be able to use a high quality Microphone for this input via the Headphone Jack? Will you be able to record at full stereo quality? Will apple ever enable recording via the dock port on the Touch and iPhone to support the current devises that record for earlier iPods?
  • Reply 48 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Won't work with the iPhone as an extra connection is required in the headphone socket that is not present on the iPhone.

What extra connection? I see only four connecting points on the new headphones, same as the iPhone headphones. I'm under the impression that call answer/hangup and play/pause/skip music button on the iPhone headphones use the mic wire to send the data to the device. It looks to me that this is only a software issue, not a HW issue, for the iPhone.