High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's second-gen iPod touch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The new second generation iPod touch is not only thinner itself, with a rounded, polished aluminum back, but it also ships in a simpler, smaller case as well, just like the Nano. It also introduces Genius playlist creation, audio recording features when used with a mic, and a built in Nike+ iPod receiver.

The new iPod touch ships with standard headphones; Apple will release two headphone options next month that include a mic and playback/volume controls: a standard earbud pair for $29 and a premium dual driver, in ear set for $79.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    These pictures would be so much more useful if the photographer didn't try to get all artsy fartsy and blur half of the frame out. Seriously, what's the point of using such a shallow depth of field?
  • Reply 2 of 44
    It's iPod Luv! Awwww....
  • Reply 3 of 44
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

These pictures would be so much more useful if the photographer didn't try to get all artsy fartsy and blur half of the frame out. Seriously, what's the point of using such a shallow depth of field?

Those are macro shots....

We need a better lighting setup, yes. My apologies.

Best,

K
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Those are macro shots....

We need a better lighting setup, yes. My apologies.

Best,

K

Looks like you need to invest in a can of compressed air too to blow off your lens and the iPod.

And why are you picking on my 3rd Gen iPod in those pics.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malacca73 View Post

Looks like you need to invest in a can of compressed air too to blow off your lens and the iPod.

And why are you picking on my 3rd Gen iPod in those pics.

And why aren't you comparing it to the original iPod Touch????
  • Reply 6 of 44
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    +1

That's what I was looking for and expecting as well.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    If you really want to see some "unboxing", go to the hard shit:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Lo.../iPod-Touch-2G

Once nice little nugget in the teardown is that the new touch contains a Bluetooth chip.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

If you really want to see some "unboxing", go to the hard shit:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Lo.../iPod-Touch-2G

Once nice little nugget in the teardown is that the new touch contains a Bluetooth chip.

And an FM chip? Interesting little bits, to be sure.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    what i'm interested in is why Apple decided to change the packaging.

I prefered the packaging I got with my first gen touch, much more iPhone like :]
  • Reply 10 of 44
    The Bluetooth is more interesting since it would share the WiFi antenna, so it possibly could be enabled, unless Apple disabled it. On the other hand the FM receiver would have to be connected to the headphone as an antenna (or some other antenna).

I have to say its pretty frustrating when Apple includes the hardware for features people would enjoy but doesn't support them.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    I would like to see the differences between the old Touch and new one as well.... I wish Apple used either an Aluminum back or plastic back instead of the chrome... Out with the shiny chrome already...fingerprint chrome does not look pretty!

Gimme me more pics... gimme
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Don't mean to be overly harsh but this is a FAIL on several levels

a) The 2G iPod Touch is NOT thinner (it's actually ever so slightly thicker). Stop propagating that untruth.

b) Have you actually used the audio recording feature w/ a mic. NO, nor is it a listed feature anywhere on the iPod Touch spec sheet.

c) If you are going to do side by side comparison shots, do it against a 1st gen iPod Touch and not iPhones?!?!

There's alot to love about this little device and I'm getting 3 myself this weekend, but it helps no one when misinformation is recklessly thrown out there as given fact- much of which is unverified or simply outright wrong.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Ok pardon my nitpicking but...

what's with the Iphone 3G in the comparison shots?

is it some sort of bad photoshoping or did you put some sort of material in front of the screws next to the dock connector to look similarly to the speaker grills instead of showing the screws? If it isnt photoshopped then what kind of material did u put there? I could use that on my iphone too as it will look a bit better this way instead of the uncovered screws
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Sigh, still no camera or video option. Maybe the next time around.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndyontheLake View Post

b) Have you actually used the audio recording feature w/ a mic. NO, nor is it a listed feature anywhere on the iPod Touch spec sheet.

That's odd. The feature was shown during the keynote video.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's odd. The feature was shown during the keynote video.

I think that was the nano.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I think that was the nano.

OK, this is all getting very confusing. The iPod line is needlessly splintered, it's hard to know exactly what accessory is compatible with what device.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And an FM chip? Interesting little bits, to be sure.

Previous iPod models had chips with FM tuners, but I don't know if Apple ever exposed that feature. I'm not sure if the FM fob add-on turns on an FM tuner in the iPod or if the tuner is in the controller.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

RECESSED!!!!!
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

RECESSED!!!!!

Isn't that a bad thing? Thought they made a big deal about getting rid of the recessed thingie on the iPhone.