Seinfeld, Gates 'connect' with regular folks in new Microsoft ad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 146
    The next "Get a Mac" ad I want to see goes like this.....

Scene opens with PC standing next to Mac but he's only wearing one shoe.

(preferably in white socks so it's obvious and he's standing crooked as one shoe on is

making him taller on that leg)

In his hands he has what looks like the other shoe and he's with some effort flexing

it back and forth pretty hard.

PC:"Hi I'm a PC"

Mac:"Hi I'm a Mac, Hey PC... what'cha got there?"

PC:"Well, I'm trying to relate with the young people out there because YOU relate

so well. Macs come in a complete package that really goes well together and people

really relate to that. So I'm going to work harder at relating with people."

Mac:"How is using your hands to break in your shoes going to help you relate to people?"

PC:"I don't know but it makes my feet feel much more comfortable while I wait for people to notice me"

Screen goes to a Mac with the caption:

Mac - Easier to use, Easier to Relate to......
  • Reply 42 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I have to say that you insinuating that all people who vote for McCain are stupid is rather offensive. To assume all McCain voters are uneducated, backwater hicks is a very arrogant, and may I say, stupid thing to say. While I prefer Macs over PCs, I think it's very arrogant to say that only dumb, uneducated people buy PCs, just as it is very arrogant and narrow-minded to accuse all McCain voters of being the same. There are plenty of Obama supporters I could say the same thing about, but does that make every Obama supporter dumb and uneducated? No. Keep your ignorant, self-serving views to yourself, as you obviously are one of the dumber, more uneducated Obama supporters around if those really are your true views.

Well maybe I wasn't so clear with the analogy and if I upset you I apologise, but I did not mean to imply that one had to be "dumb" to vote for McCain, merely uneducated on the facts.

My point was that a rational factually based assessment of PC vs Mac (in the absence of other significant driving factors), or Obama vs. McCain, Mac and Obama are the only rational choice. I don't see how there is any argument to the contrary. By "driving factors" here I mean that there could easily be rational reasons for picking a PC (like it's the only platform that runs software A, B, or C), outside of the general comparison I am trying to make between platforms.

Smart people can still pick a PC for any number of reasons and smart people can pick McCain, but especially with political side of the argument (because the factors are a lot simpler) the reasons they do so can't be rational, as no objective rational argument can be constructed that McCain is the better suited person for the job.

Once can vote for McCain because one likes him, or one identifies with him, or just because one doesn't like Obama. One can vote for McCain for ideological reasons, religious reasons, racialy based reasons, etc. etc. But a rational "Mr. Spock-like" assessment of the objective facts and criteria cannot leave one with the conclusion that McCain is the best person for the job. Facts are facts, and opinions are not facts.

I'm not trying to denigrate your opinions, I just don't like it when people confuse opinions and feelings with facts.
  • Reply 43 of 146
    I'm not sure If I'm watching the same ad as some of the posters here. Cute? It seems to me that Seinfeld is making some fairly flip remarks,that paint him as arrogant and offensive. Maybe,that's as far as the ad campaign is going with that,but to me it seems likely that they'll build on it. Competing against Apples increasingly aggressive ads-think..."makes both the software and the hardware" a little "Reports of my hardware are greatly exagerrated" perhaps.
  • Reply 44 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

You may not have noticed, but Apple doesn't advertise against MicroSoft.

They advertise against PC which is INDIRECTLY a stab at Microsoft.

But everyone recognizes PCs as being windows and Microsoft. I doubt many people care who made the hardware, when they turn it on they all see Microsofts name come up. They may not directly go against Microsoft in all of them, but they did it enough times to make the point on what there trying to say there better than.

Quote:

Nobody under the age of 45 is going to see anything remotely FUN in this stuff as a result of these silly ads.

Well Im 24 and I did. I admit there not aimed at everyone though.

Quote:

You are so wrong on this, I actually expect to see PC guy do a parody of the Gates and Seinfeld show.

If they did that it would just re-inforce my first point that Apple are now advertising PC as something to be scared of and must be advertised again, while Microsoft are advertising that Apple arn't even worth mentioning.

I have NO IDEA why you would promote the MicroSoft website.

That's silly, nobody goes anywhere near it when buying a PC....[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 45 of 146
    Whoever came up with this should get the Advertising Dumbo Award for this year. The "real" message of this little movie about Misters High & Mighty trying to connect with "real" people is that, while the "real" people win this battle in the end, they are still dumber and lower on the evolutionary scale than our heroes, Seinfeld & Gates. I don't know if I have ever seen a more patronizing commercial.

Makes me hate Seinfeld & Gates, their message and their products. Way to go, Admen!
  • Reply 46 of 146
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Honestly, I have to admit the Ads are kind of cute, and are funny at times.

Please tell me you didn't watch what I did?
  • Reply 47 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Some did, yes. Remember not to group--people do things for a wide variety of reasons. I got an iPod because I use and support Apple products for a living, so it makes sense for me to own the products I'll be asked about in my profession. Others buy them because they're cute. Others because everyone else is. Perception absolutely counts. Just ask the GOP--McCain is surging in the polls because of the perception that he is a "maverick" and that his VP is a "bulldog", even though both of those are self-assigned monikers that do not stand up to logical scrutiny. Perception is top priority to a (disturbingly high) percentage of the populace, and the marketer/candidate who ignores that is in for a hard time.

That is true that some people buy based on perception - but my point was that the iPod system works which is why it is popular. Perception only goes so far... if the iPod was poorly made with slow, junky parts supported with terrible software, then it wouldn't matter how "cool" they could make it look - it wouldn't be as successful as it is.

The perception Microsoft is trying to instill in people with their current campaign seems to be that Bill's this super-genius and Microsoft has these wildly amazing plans for the future of computing. That's all fine, but they need to back it up, and so far they don't have a track record for doing so.

Apple's current Mac/PC campaign takes 30 seconds and they contrast ways that Mac's have an advantage over PC's. They use quantifiable facts - not shadowy statements about future possibilities...
  • Reply 48 of 146
    Quote:

The next "Get a Mac" ad I want to see goes like this.....

Scene opens with PC standing next to Mac but he's only wearing one shoe.

(preferably in white socks so it's obvious and he's standing crooked as one shoe on is

making him taller on that leg)

In his hands he has what looks like the other shoe and he's with some effort flexing

it back and forth pretty hard.

PC:"Hi I'm a PC"

Mac:"Hi I'm a Mac, Hey PC... what'cha got there?"

PC:"Well, I'm trying to relate with the young people out there because YOU relate

so well. Macs come in a complete package that really goes well together and people

really relate to that. So I'm going to work harder at relating with people."

Mac:"How is using your hands to break in your shoes going to help you relate to people?"

PC:"I don't know but it makes my feet feel much more comfortable while I wait for people to notice me"

Screen goes to a Mac with the caption:

Mac - Easier to use, Easier to Relate to......

That made me laugh! I hope someone at Chiat Day is reading!

• Reply 49 of 146
    This ad's mildly funny, though I'd love to see Ballmer taking Gates' role and trying to act human.

I run Windows XP Pro on my MacBook Pro without problems, but no way I'd 'update' to Vista based on the overwhelming number of negative reports. How this ad's supposed to convince me either that Vista is a solid OS or that Microsoft is a 'cool' company, is beyond me.

Perhaps that reported $300 million for the campaign would have been better spent rewriting Windows code from the ground up. As It stands, Windows 7 is looking to be slightly-improved Vista.

Thank God for Mac OS X.
  • Reply 50 of 146
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    can they compete against the 'new' apple? I always see 'catch' up as far as technology is concerned when you compare MS to Apple. They seem to be a few years behind...perhaps that is perception, not reality, but look at Vista, Zune....commercials..

an apple a day...

• Reply 51 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Well maybe I wasn't so clear with the analogy and if I upset you I apologise, but I did not mean to imply that one had to be "dumb" to vote for McCain, merely uneducated on the facts. [rest cut to save space... ]

You really believe that? wow... you honestly believe that everyone, or even most people, with the same exact heap of facts present will think exactly the same about them? I find that very ignorant. Your statement basically implied (though I know it wasn't intentional, or obvious to yourself) that your opinions on the matter are right because its you, and so your opinions are facts, yet anyone who has a different opinion is just an irrational opinion.

I think you have some learning to do about people in general... and I can see why your drawn to Obama...

(PS. I don't like either of the presidential 'choices', equally...)
  • Reply 52 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Are these "regular folks" who use Windows instead of Mac the same people who choose Leno over Letterman, and McCain over Obama? When did mundane become better than elite?

Well 90% of people have Windows, both Letterman and Leno are AWFUL and please stop talking politics in this forum. We all have a right to an opinion and to disagree with said opinion but I just really don't think is the place for political rhetoric - especially since it seems to be entirely 1 sided.
  • Reply 53 of 146
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    That has got to be the longest and most boring TV commercial I have ever seen. In the TV ad business you usually create a long version (30 sec.) and a short version (15 sec.)

I can't even begin to imagine where you would chop the content down and have any sort of coherent message since there is apparently no real message in the 10 minute version to start with.

How much is that going to cost to run the whole ad?
  • Reply 54 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Honestly, I have to admit the Ads are kind of cute, and are funny at times.

But, I suppose they're trying to duplicate the Seinfeld show, which was as they themselves said, about nothing.

The Ads also seem to be about nothing.

Unless they get more focussed later on, I just can't see what good they will do.

And I'm trying to look at this seriously, as a former Ad man, without making the usual Microsoft jokes.

I agree. As a mini-series or just as an expensive running gag, they are fine. As a tool to sell Vista, they are an abject failure.
  • Reply 55 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Are these "regular folks" who use Windows instead of Mac the same people who choose Leno over Letterman, and McCain over Obama? When did mundane become better than elite?

I use a Mac, prefer Leno and I'm swaying toward Obama on account of McCain's running mate.
  • Reply 56 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

I keep on reading people question on where the "vista" tie-in is on these ads. Well... the fact is... and I think its rather obvious from a marketing stand point that these ads are not about a product per se... but rather about a shift in the image perception of Microsoft itself.

From all that was talked about before the first was released, I too expected a more 'vista' focused assault....

All in all I am not so sure this campaign will succeed because I believe that the Microsoft image is so set that its going to take a much more global effort that includes product re-focusing and long term product successes to win the battle.

But what perception is Microsoft pushing? That they are just a bunch of average shmucks? I like Apple because their products display a level of intelligence and taste far above average.

Who wants to be associated with an "average" operating system? The whole thing is just wrong.
  • Reply 57 of 146
    They actually paid an ad company to come up with this campaign? Single stupidest commercial ever created. Nothing may have worked for a TV show, but those unfortunate souls who are stuck on the dark side, and paid good money for that boat anchor.
  • Reply 58 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Is Kimmel okay?

Jimmy Kimmel is "comedy" for mental defects.
  • Reply 59 of 146
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wordwise View Post

"A turd by any other name is still a turd..."

And you call yourself wordwise? That's an old, tired phrase. How about using something more contemporary yet still appropriate, like "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig"?
  • Reply 60 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

In an apparent nod to reality, I believe Gates' precise description of when the great new stuff would be delivered is: "Never!"

They seem to be subverting their own message at every turn, don't they?