Seinfeld, Gates 'connect' with regular folks in new Microsoft ad

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 146
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Just watch those ads and tell me that Larry David wasn't their first choice?

Those ads would have worked with Larry David ? but Seinfeld, I just don't see it.

I think the ads are pretty lame ? there are far more creative ways to expose Apple's shortcomings. You just have to go to an advertising agency rather than an 'alleged' comedian.
  • Reply 142 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Just watch those ads and tell me that Larry David wasn't their first choice?

Those ads would have worked with Larry David ? but Seinfeld, I just don't see it.

I think the ads are pretty lame ? there are far more creative ways to expose Apple's shortcomings. You just have to go to an advertising agency rather than an 'alleged' comedian.

I see your point and he may have been the inspiration, but there is no chance in hell that unlikable Larry David would have been associated with Bill Gates and MS. As much as I love Curb Your Enthusiasm, MS has enough image problems as it is.
  • Reply 143 of 146
    A smart dime, beats a dumb dollar.
  • Reply 144 of 146
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, now they're dropping those ads.

The new ads start with a MS engineer who looks like John Hodgman (wonder how long it took to find him in MS).

He says:

[quote]"Hello, I'm a PC, and I've been made into a stereotype."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/18/bu...ss&oref=slogin
  • Reply 145 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Are these "regular folks" who use Windows instead of Mac the same people who choose Leno over Letterman, and McCain over Obama? When did mundane become better than elite?

I don't know, we should ask Ellen Feiss and whatever ad agency hired her.

I guess Microsoft isn't the only company to play to the proletariat in addition to the literati.