Review: Apple's fourth-generation iPod nano

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you don't like the feature, you don't have to turn it on. You also aren't forced to purchase any of Genius' recommendations from the iTS. You seem to be equating it to a popup or overlay in a trial app, but this isn't the case. Isn't Genius off by default?

You apparently misunderstood me. I don't mind Genius or the Genius' recommendations. I mind the (games) advertising that you have to click away when you want to sync. It IS in fact a pop-up, and the article even has a screenshot of it. Something similar happened recently as well, when iTunes gave me an ad for MobileMe instead of the iPhone sync screen (twice so far).
  • Reply 42 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

As for the stupid comment about 'doubling the memory at the same price' - well that IS exactly the same as dropping the price!!!

No, it's not *exactly* the same. While you could argue it is effectively a price drop, the fact is: the cheapest iPod Nano used to cost $149, and now the cheapest iPod Nano costs $149. The cost of entry is still the same. Because of my financial situation, I'm much more likely to buy a Nano with less ram for $99 than the current $149 model. But that ain't an option.

:d
  • Reply 43 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

You apparently misunderstood me. I don't mind Genius or the Genius' recommendations. I mind the (games) advertising that you have to click away when you want to sync. It IS in fact a pop-up, and the article even has a screenshot of it. Something similar happened recently as well, when iTunes gave me an ad for MobileMe instead of the iPhone sync screen (twice so far).

My apologies. I haven't yet had the displeasure of experiencing either of those. They do sound annoying and unwarranted.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

When I keep hearing questions, like the above on the various forums, I really have to wonder if people have any idea at all as to what GPS is?Dave

Remove the simm card. Turn off Wi-Fi. Get in your car and see just how efficient the GPS apps are on the iPhone.

Oh. you will have to load some maps. I do know that my nav maps weren't cheap. But then nothing on my boat ever was.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    I like the new Nano and am impressed by most of the features added to it, although I prefer the square shape of the 3G Nano. The 3G Nano feels much more comfortable in hand or pocket, and I am unfazed by the landscape feature. However, I am holding out for the 2G iPod Touch because of the increased battery life and all the features it has
  • Reply 46 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As to google maps and their requirement to be always on - screw them. There are already apps on the app store that address this. There are apps for position data and marine navigation. From all appearances there are many more to come.

While they're at it, I guess they could download Sky Hook's wireless access point data. That way while on the road the current Touch could look up location.

Unfortunately I suspect Sky Hook would be horrified at the idea of providing that information.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've been wanting to test this but I can't help but be in cell range everywhere I travel. How long did it take get your initial position? Did the long and lat accurately follow your position? What is the worst weather condition that you tested it in (because antenna and power do matter)? What App Store app did you use to get a visible location?

I precached some bush area at the bottom of a valley, then went into the valley where there was no phone reception. It too a couple of minutes to find my location and was off by about 500metres. I can't say if that was due to having no cell coverage, or having a huge cliff face on one side of me.

Apple is rumoured to be upgrading GPS software to show velocity etc. At the moment GPS has to take positions at 2 points in time and calculate the required velocity. Hopefully Apple are adding more smarts - such as understanding that movement is likely to be reasonably regular (you don't jump from street to street), and even perhaps using the accelerometer to identify changes in movement.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

My 1st gen iPhone responds to triple clicks with the 2.1 software update. I just hope it supports the volume up/down feature as well.

How could it support volume when those headphone aren't made-for-iPhone?
  • Reply 48 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

because it uses the same four-conductor 3.5-mm audio jack that the current iphone headset has
  • Reply 49 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I think all the controls (volume up, volume down, play/pause, track forward, track back) are piggybacking on the mic wire, so I think it might just be a software update. I really hope that is that the case because the track back function and volume control are things I've wanted for a year.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    The new Classic and the previous Classic are the same except for the size of the hard drive. Apple should not leave out the original Classic owners by denying them the Genius feature, especially since the 160 GB model is better than the 120 GB. The original Classic would be fully compatible with the software on the new Classic.
  • Reply 51 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The new Classic and the previous Classic are the same except for the size of the hard drive. Apple should not leave out the original Classic owners by denying them the Genius feature, especially since the 160 GB model is better than the 120 GB. The original Classic would be fully compatible with the software on the new Classic.

true. perhaps someone will come out with a hack.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

How do yuo know they are the same?

There could be other internal changes as well as the change in drive size.

They may have changed chip sets, etc.

You do not know that the new software would be fully compatible - it is a guess.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

because it uses the same four-conductor 3.5-mm audio jack that the current iphone headset has

As confirmed by Apple verbally, and on their site here:

I have already heard on a couple podcast, it doesn't work on the iPhone. I'm positive about this, and it sucks.

EDIT:

From arstechnica..

"Finally, we inquired about the new $79 headphones that will be available for the iPod nano and iPod touch. The headphones, which let you skip/pause/play with a click just like the iPhone headphones, also let you adjust volume up or down. I asked whether they would work with the iPhone, and the Apple rep said the company doesn't claim that they're supported. "It will work with skipping, pausing, etc. but I don't think the volume will change. That's not supported on the iPhone." He pointed out that iPhone headphones will work with the iPod touch and iPod nano, however. "
  • Reply 54 of 63
    I think apple has been running out of creativity with the ipod. I been having the feature that allows the ipod nano to shuffle songs as you jog is neat but if that is the only reason to get a new ipod I stick to my current ipod nano for music, movies and game downloads
  • Reply 55 of 63
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

As confirmed by Apple verbally, and on their site here:

I have already heard on a couple podcast, it doesn't work on the iPhone. I'm positive about this, and it sucks.

EDIT:

From arstechnica..

"Finally, we inquired about the new $79 headphones that will be available for the iPod nano and iPod touch. The headphones, which let you skip/pause/play with a click just like the iPhone headphones, also let you adjust volume up or down. I asked whether they would work with the iPhone, and the Apple rep said the company doesn't claim that they're supported. "It will work with skipping, pausing, etc. but I don't think the volume will change. That's not supported on the iPhone." He pointed out that iPhone headphones will work with the iPod touch and iPod nano, however. "

It seems pretty silly to not have full compatibility built into the iPhone. Oh well, maybe the development cycles are offset by a lot because of the time needed for radio compliance testing, maybe the volume control idea came up too late in the iPhone 3G development to support even a moderate change.

I would think that it's smarter to say Apple phones are compatible with a disclaimer that volume adjustment doesn't work.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    Hi, I have made a dynamic comparison table of the new and old iPod nano. The comparison includes around 70 criterias. It?s one of the most complete comparison table available on the internet.

Here?s the link http://www.witeria.com/compare/13/

It should be embedded in this article!
  • Reply 57 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by witeria View Post

Hi, I have made a dynamic comparison table of the new and old iPod nano. The comparison includes around 70 criterias. It?s one of the most complete comparison table available on the internet.

Here?s the link http://www.witeria.com/compare/13/

It should be embedded in this article!

Cool, note that the nano doesn't support MPEG2 or quicktime codecs.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

would think that it's smarter to say Apple phones are compatible with a disclaimer that volume adjustment doesn't work.

I don't know if I would agree with that. It either works of it doesn't. It cannot "kind of" work.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    iPhone headphone's clicker doesn't work with the new nano. Very weird things happening when I click it.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by witeria View Post

Hi, I have made a dynamic comparison table of the new and old iPod nano.

Here’s the link http://www.witeria.com/compare/13/

Nice comparison.

I thought that MPEG4-2 was pretty well the same as h263 (while MPEG4-10 is pretty well the same as h264)?

If so - need to update the table, since both iPods support this.

If not - can someone explain the h263 -> mpeg4-2 difference?

(or what does the new Nano do that the old one doesn't?)

Thanks

ps. Your table doesn't list 12volt/Firewire charging on the old Nano, not on the new.